Air Conditioning Recharge Question - 2008 Chrysler Town and Country

The schrader valve on the low side port of my 2008 Chrysler Town and Country failed---pulled into the garage and could hear a hissing sound. Investigated it and it was the schrader valve. Otherwise, the system has worked fine, and has no issues.

Anyway, I purchased a new schrader valve, and installed it. Vacuumed the system for 1 hour (why not?) with my harbor freight 2.5 cfm vacuum pump. System held vacuum for 20 minutes after I vacuumed it .

So, my van has dual air conditioning---front and back.

The system label says says 29 oz single or 40.5 dual (see below).

Rather than use my manifold gauges, I disconnected them, and just attached a hose to the low side, since I didn't want to mess it up. Anyway, I added 2 12oz cans of 134a, and the system started blowing cold (24 oz total). However, I'm nervous about adding more refrigerant. My gauge said after the 2 cans that the low side as at 50. I'm confused, because I was expecting to add 1 1/2 cans additional. But it is at the max on the gauge--50 psi. I don't want to put not enough R-134a in. System blows cool (it is hot outside, and I haven't taken it on a long drive yet).

Advice? Thoughts?

61WtbdQuu0L._AC_SL1315_.jpg

2009 Caravan AC Label Closeup.jpg

Last edited:
Rear AC may have a magnetic valve that prevents flow of refrigerant if not in use. Have you used the rear AC at all since doing this work?

Thanks.

So, I decided to drive the van around the block a few times, with the initial 24 oz in the system. The AC was cool, but definitely not cold.

So I decided to add another 12 oz can... bringing the total up to 36 oz. This time I revved the engine to about 2000 RPM while doing it, and when I did that the pressure dropped while I was revving it.. I also doubled checked to make sure that both front and rear air were on.

It took the third can Ok, and seems to be blowing colder. Now, I need to be brave and add the last 5 oz (I have a half used can which is about spot on).

Outside temperature is 105 degrees (Las Vegas) so that might be affecting the pressure readings on the gauge.

I'm going to leave it at 36 oz for now, and will check this thread and the van tomorrow.

Thanks.

Last edited:
What about oil? There is probably some in the system but not the right amount. Hopefully no "leak stop" was added although leak detector is fine to add. I would not make any life or death decisions based upon that cheap gauge.

What about oil? There is probably some in the system but not the right amount. Hopefully no "leak stop" was added although leak detector is fine to add. I would not make any life or death decisions based upon that cheap gauge.

Technically I didn't open up the system or drain any oil.... Just replaced the leaking schrader valve.

But the first can I added was this, which adds 1 oz of oil:

The other cans are straight R134a.

In reality, you will not get 100% of the refrigerant into the system anyway.
It has some losses during charge at the hose.
To charge it properly, with the proper tool, one will have to bleed the initial air from the hose.

Thanks. I am going to add the rest today. It is just a bit unnerving, as I didn't want to overcharge it, and I was going by the gauges.
It sounds like you only connected the low-side gauge. If you are going to use pressures as your method, you need the high side as well.

Last edited:
Back