Air Conditioning Condensate as Battery Topup?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Definately aircon season here now, so unlimited quantities available.

I intend using it for decoking, perhaps flushing the cooling system and maybe battery topup.

Id guess there'll be some atmosperic dust in it (could filter it) and maybe some traces of copper and lead from the cooling coils, but I dunno if the contaminates are likely to be enough to poison the battery.

Could, perhaps deionise using a drinking water filter though may not be necessary.

Distilled water is not, AFAIK, readily available here in bulk. Could DIY but its a bit of a hassle.

Cheapest "Battery Charger Fluid" (seems to be water with a surfactant) is 20NT (33 cents) for 500ml. Adds up.

I've got a machine...
a dehumidifier that intentionally creates condensate from the air, collects it, and runs through ceramic, UV, carbon, smaller ceramic, and carbon, then cools it (or heats it) for drinking water.

Most beautiful water you've ever tasted (recycled sweat) , but the stupidest $2k I ever spent...12 years ago $2k.

Ran it for two quarters and saw the electricity bill

I've used tap water for over 40 years to top off batteries.I have had no problems what so ever.My mower battery gets abused and it's 6 years old.

Originally Posted By: 63Marauder
I've used tap water for over 40 years to top off batteries.I have had no problems what so ever.My mower battery gets abused and it's 6 years old.

You can get away with that in Scotland no bother in most places, since it comes off granite and is very soft.

Here it doesn't (I think a lot of it is artesian) and isn't.

So given the choice between tap water and condensate I'll take the condensate. Just not sure if I should do anything else to it.

The choice between the water from the drinking water dispensers around the campus and aircon condensate is less clear. Probably depends on the model and how well maintained it is.

Suppose I could try measuring conductivity and/or boiling a sample to dryness, though that won't be conclusive.

It does seem quite possible the dispenser stuff is better, though.

It's not very clean water. It has had a lot of contact with dust in the air and all the funky stuff typically found in the condensate pan.

Originally Posted By: Oily_Thing
Nasty stuff. Full of bacteria. I wouldn't use it for anything except watering plants.

I wouldn't even do that. Mom killed several houseplants doing this.

I work at a power plant and we use boiler condensate for all our batteries. We also have de-ionized RO water available but the large storage tanks of condensate are more easily accessible and fast container fillers utilizing a 2" drain line.

I collect dehumidifier condensate in a couple of the plastic 5 gal water cooler jugs.
A dash of bleach takes care of bacteria.
I use it mainly in the clothes washer and steam iron.

Every grocery store has distilled water in gallon jugs for a dollar or two. one jug will last a lifetime. buy it.

Originally Posted By: tcp71
Every grocery store has distilled water in gallon jugs for a dollar or two. one jug will last a lifetime. buy it.

He said it's not readily available.

that condensate is distilled in the atmosphere then collected may have some dust/grit in it but should not have minerals that will ruin a battery. Pour it thru a fine filter and call it a day. It will be better than tap water with unknown hardness that can ruin a battery as the minerals precipitate out of the acid solution.

Just filter the dirt out. Bacteria won't scare a battery.

A friend has condensate from his central air conditioner plumbed to keep a bird (and bee) bath filled.

Originally Posted By: Leo99
Battery top up? People still do that?

Can't remember the last time I had to add water to a battery. Usually means you are overcharging it...

Each of our 4 generating units has an assigned battery room along with a few auxiliary systems. These batteries are single cell lead acid type connected in series of 60 cells. Each cell varies in size from small 3 gallon sized to large 15 gallon sizes. They all use a little electrolyte between monthly inspections. Most modern automotive batteries are maintenance free and gas mats nowadays. This is definitely not the case in the industrial world. Clean, mineral free water is a must in order to get the full life out of the cells.

Originally Posted By: sloinker
Most modern automotive batteries are maintenance free and gas mats nowadays.

Maybe so. Mine aren't, because I don't buy that type of battery.

Although all my batteries are sealed I use the dehumidifier water for the cooling system or anywhere else demineralized water is needed. I would not worry about dust or fine particles and bacteria in the water being added to a battery full of acid. As long as it's clean enough there is no visible sediment or other contaminates.

The only application you listed that I'd spend the money ($1.50/gal) on for distilled water is maybe the battery... the rest, just use tap water. If you need to add that much water to the battery, it's likely not long for this world.

Originally Posted By: bmwpowere36m3
The only application you listed that I'd spend the money ($1.50/gal) on for distilled water is maybe the battery... the rest, just use tap water. If you need to add that much water to the battery, it's likely not long for this world.

I've seen it argued both ways for the cooling system, so a case can be made for tap water there, though on balance I'd probably prefer to avoid it.

Are you sure you'd use tap water as an engine decoke?

If the water contains dissolved minerals (usually carbonates, I think) its seems quite likely they'd have an abrasive effect inside the cylinder, and some of them might get into the sump and contaminate the oil.

Seems like a bad idea to me.

And as I said, neither the 1.50 nor the gallon apply here, because AFAIK bulk distilled water is not available.

You can buy (or get free) bulk drinking water which is filtered and often at least partly de-ionised, which might be an alternative.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back