air compressor recommendation

Status
Not open for further replies.
not an oil question.....just don't know where to post. but what would you guy recommend for a decent air compressor (not those tiny little ones that runs on car battery)? budget is within 100 bucks. single tank, or double tank? Thanks. ( btw, i am not doing any construction work, just family use, for cars and bikes etc).

general and off topic fourm.

Cambell hossenfields are good.

Last edited:
It's probably impossible to buy one for $100 that isn't made in China. Check out a few garage sales; you never know what you may find. Sometimes automotive repair shops go under and might have deals; check Craigslist. Personally, I'd buy new because I don't know what abuse a compressor has been through.

I have a small portable self contained and powered Campbell Hausfeld unit that I paid $100 for 2 years ago.

I use it to inflate my tires... beats running around looking for a gas station air hose which have become harder and harder to find in recent years.

I don't think you would go wrong with a CH unit... mine has worked great.

+1 for a CH unit. Got mine at Lowe's or Home depot. I bought the Contractor upgrade for ~$120. 2hp 3 gallon and is good enought to run a 1/4 inch air ratchet and a 3/8 inch impact wrench if your patient.

unless you need to have a super-pure oil air quality, I'd only go for an oiled unit, made from cast-iron.

I'd go for Ingersoll Rand if you can. They are $$$.

When analyzing for my own use, I went with a makita dual-tank oiled. Easy to move, easy to carry, etc. It was more than $100 though.

I think that the best bet will be an oiled china junk shop unit. I wouldnt count on longevity though.

I'd also look into a used or rebuilt thomas if air quality is important.

I've had one like this for years. It's done everything I've asked of it: http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=95498

95498.gif

Joel

I recommend looking at a used one.

In my area, on craigslist you could get a quality used compressor for $50-$150, depending on size. If you're not in a hurry, and watch ebay, you might find a bargain.

I keep some ebay searches of local tools to watch for bargains coming through that are for local pickup only. About a month ago I saw a Craftsman 20 gallon, 5hp 220 volt belt drive for pickup only (link). When I first saw it, I thought it would sell for $150 on craigslist, but pickup only items on Ebay have volatile prices. I ended up getting it for $56. I sold my direct drive Cambell Hausfield direct drive 13 gallon for $80 on craigslist. I wasn't looking to upgrade, but since I got paid to it was worth the trouble.

Since then I've another craftsman like the one I bought listed on craigslist for $200.
thumbsup2.gif

The funny thing was, when I picked it up, the guy starts telling me the compressor belonged to his neighbor, and he sells stuff on Ebay for consignment. He only charges 20%, if I ever need his services... I found that amusing since I only bought it because of his inability to effectively sell it online.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back