Air compressor oil

What are you guys running in your air compressors? I have a Makita MAC5200 that I need to change the oil in. It came with a bottle labeled P68 which seems to be SAE 20 non detergent oil.

It may in fact be about sae 20, but it's FAR from Non-Detergent!

Attachments

• SynChoice_Full_Synthetic_Compressor_Oils_P_32-68_PDS_PC0005_11-7-13.pdf
    139.1 KB · Views: 34
I have a 25 year old Emglo compressor that calls for SAE 20 non detergent oil. I experimented with various synthetic oils 5W-30 and even M1 15W-50. I went back to the SAE 20 ND, Amsoil now. It's happiest with this weight oil.

I do the welding for a small machine shop. This is the compressor they use and it runs all day as needed. The oil has only been changed once since the 2008 date. No oil loss is noticed.
20200629_172410.jpg

I run non detergent SAE 20 in my compressors. I was fortunate to stock up many years ago because this is very hard to find.

I've had my air compressor for a few years now, still running on the original oil it shipped with. Over the weekend I picked up a bottle of home depot's synthetic oil which I believe is sae20. Figured synthetic is better than non synthetic. I've had it trip the breaker during the winter when it's below 50 degrees... from what I've read this should help with that.

Ingersoll Rand synthetic compressor oil. Easy to find if you have a TSC local. Mine is about 2 years old with decent usage so hopefully it’ll be broke in by now. I’ll eventually make the change to amsoil air compressor oil though.

Back