Air BNB tenant refuses to leave- intriguing read for a Saturday morning

GON

$100 Site Donor 2024
Heard about this tenant and landlord situation in the radio in California earlier this week. Article leaves out a lot, to include tenant is a Harvard graduate, and pulled a like action in the San Francisco Bay area the resulted in the tenant being paid six figures to leave that rental.

Elizabeth Hirschhorn’s Airbnb stay at an L.A. property owned by Sascha Jovanovic was supposed to end in April 2022. She says she has a legal right to stay

Lots of Airbnb owners are now wanting to sell their properties.
Not worth the headaches and liabilities.

Last edited:
Heard about this tenant and landlord situation in the radio in California earlier this week. Article leaves out a lot, to include tenant is a Harvard graduate, and pulled a like action in the San Francisco Bay area the resulted in the tenant being paid six figures to leave that rental.

Elizabeth Hirschhorn’s Airbnb stay at an L.A. property owned by Sascha Jovanovic was supposed to end in April 2022. She says she has a legal right to stay
I've seen that headline a couple days in a row, but keep saying to myself " somebody else's circus, someone else's monkey's"

Locally, AirBNB is maligned for taking up apartments that otherwise could have been rented for reasonable monthly rates, in theory at least. Mentioned is that you can get a potential grifter monthly tenant who knows how to manipulate their legal rights while daily AirBNB tenants do not have the same rights.

I guess that might be changing. :giggle:

Some people in elected positions have adopted an absolute hatred towards real estate investors, and that hatred gets captured in policy.

Despite real estate being one of the few ways a regular middle class person can actually lift themselves into wealth and become free from corporate wage slavery, their philosophy instructs that all rental property owners are sharks preying on the poor.

As such, policies get implemented to “protect” renters but which ultimately protect the mega real estate corporations who can financially absorb instances of abuse like this case. It destroys competition from smaller investors by creating a risk profile that’s too steep to bother with.

It is mind blowing.

Some people in elected positions have adopted an absolute hatred towards real estate investors, and that hatred gets captured in policy.

Despite real estate being one of the few ways a regular middle class person can actually lift themselves into wealth and become free from corporate wage slavery, their philosophy instructs that all rental property owners are sharks preying on the poor.

As such, policies get implemented to “protect” renters but which ultimately protect the mega real estate corporations who can financially absorb instances of abuse like this case. It destroys competition from smaller investors by creating a risk profile that’s too steep to bother with.

It is mind blowing.

If all real estate investors were honest, the laws wouldn't be needed. As bad as some tenants are, there are owners that are just as bad.

Wow. That's complicated. I've never heard an eviction being denied because of minor housing code violations. Logically, it's "Yes, you don't have a lease and haven't paid the owner in 18 months, but because they built a shower without a permit, you can continue to live there and not pay".
Remind me not to have rental property in SoCal.

What could an owner do that could possibly be as bad as essentially stealing six figures worth of cash?
Something like... finding a BS reason to evict an elderly, rent-protected tenant in favor of a more profitable occupant. Perhaps not the same objective financial impact on paper, but still a significant negative effect on someone who is probably ill-equipped to recover.

Airbnb (running your own hotel) just sounds like a massive headache. I know many who got into the game during the past few years and all of them gripe about how much they hate it. Many are thinking of selling these properties.

Back