Aftermarket Rim Center Bore and Offset Question

I'm getting 17" rims and off-roading tires to swap from the stock 235/45R18 on a 2023 Hyundai Kona N-Line (on order, not in possession).

I'm concerned about the aftermarket rim's off-set (42 mm) and especially about the center bore of 72.62 mm. Would there be a problem fitting these onto my N-Line? I don't have the car; it's scheduled to be delivered to the dealership some time in January. There's a mad scramble for winter tires these days so I have to buy rims and tires blind. Bolt patterns on the aftermarkets are 5-100/114.3 so the bolts should be fine I believe.

I believe the OEM rims are an offset of 52 mm and a center bore of 67.1 mm. Bolt pattern is 5 x 114.3 (5 x 4.5).

Thanks all.

Maybe someone knows the specifics of the car, but you will at minimum need hub rings to make up for the spacing on the hub - assuming Hyundai wheels are hub-centric which most are these days. Wherever you got your wheels should be able to order them.

the new rims will also have a 10mm further positive offset. Positive offset moves the wheel out - but you also need to factor in the wheel width. Are the aftermarket rims the same width as the OEM?

I'm getting 17" rims and off-roading tires to swap from the stock 235/45R18 on a 2023 Hyundai Kona N-Line (on order, not in possession).

I'm concerned about the aftermarket rim's off-set (42 mm) and especially about the center bore of 72.62 mm. Would there be a problem fitting these onto my N-Line? I don't have the car; it's scheduled to be delivered to the dealership some time in January. There's a mad scramble for winter tires these days so I have to buy rims and tires blind. Bolt patterns on the aftermarkets are 5-100/114.3 so the bolts should be fine I believe.

I believe the OEM rims are an offset of 52 mm and a center bore of 67.1 mm. Bolt pattern is 5 x 114.3 (5 x 4.5).

Thanks all.
Why not contact Hyundai (dealer and/or corporate) or try to find an online owners manual?

Give us ALL the numbers for stock setup and the rims you propose.

Right now you seem to be asking others to do the research for you.

You should at a minimum know (not guess, know) your bolt pattern, hub bore, and offset.

Going down a size to 17" might rub your brakes too.

Tire Rack or another name brand retailer should have online fitment guides.

Why not contact Hyundai (dealer and/or corporate) or try to find an online owners manual?

They won't know jack about aftermarket wheel fitments.

OP, what is the size and offset of your original wheels (including width) and the size and offset of the ones you are looking at?

I missed the 18 inch to 17 inch part - yes you will need to confirm it will fit over the brakes, and specifically the wheels your getting will.

I am assuming your putting out a bunch of money for these - I would go to a place that will promise everything will fit - rims, tires, hub rings, etc - like discount tire, or someone similar.

Give us ALL the numbers for stock setup and the rims you propose.

Right now you seem to be asking others to do the research for you.

You should at a minimum know (not guess, know) your bolt pattern, hub bore, and offset.

Going down a size to 17" might rub your brakes too.

Tire Rack or another name brand retailer should have online fitment guides.
Stock set up is this:
– Center Bore: 67.1 mm
– PCD: 5x114.3 (5x4.5)
– Wheel Fasteners: Lug nuts
– Wheel Tightening Torque: 107 - 127 Nm
– Thread Size: M12 x 1.5
– Trim Production: [2022 .. 2023]
– 235/45R18, 7.5", ET52

New rims are this:
– 17", 7.5" width
– 42 mm off-set
– 72.62 mm center bore
– 5/114.3 bolt pattern
– 225/55R17 tires.

According to tiresize.com I get this:
1666803915729.png

Any comment on the center bore? I'm feeling that the brakes should be fine. Other Kona owners have put 16" rims and no problems.

Thanks all.

The centre bore is a non-issue. Your wheel and tire package will come with hub rings.

The new wheels will sit 10mm further out than the stock ones. Likely a non-issue as well.

I missed the 18 inch to 17 inch part - yes you will need to confirm it will fit over the brakes, and specifically the wheels your getting will.

I am assuming your putting out a bunch of money for these - I would go to a place that will promise everything will fit - rims, tires, hub rings, etc - like discount tire, or someone similar.
Yeah, I explained the situation to my tire dude. He said that in the off-chance the rim does not fit (b/c of the bolt pattern or centre bore), they would exchange and work something out regarding restocking fees.

But I guess at minimum, I'd prob need to mount these sans tires first when I get delivery of the vehicle in January.

It's an educated guess at this point in time.

Is hub centricity a big deal? I think I remember older cars where there was no such thing.

10mm offset is kind of a lot, and a slightly larger tire... watch out for rubbing on tight turns. I have no idea if this is a potential issue for a Kona... don't know what the wheel well looks like.

The parts department could offer a Hyundai approved winter package, sure. If you start asking them about offsets and centre bores they are going to look at you like you have two heads.
I suppose I could do that. Although their alternative rim options are pretty ugly. So I was looking at aftermarket rims.

Stock set up is this:
– Center Bore: 67.1 mm
– PCD: 5x114.3 (5x4.5)
– Wheel Fasteners: Lug nuts
– Wheel Tightening Torque: 107 - 127 Nm
– Thread Size: M12 x 1.5
– Trim Production: [2022 .. 2023]
– 235/45R18, 7.5", ET52

New rims are this:
– 17", 7.5" width
– 42 mm off-set
– 72.62 mm center bore
– 5/114.3 bolt pattern
– 225/55R17 tires.

According to tiresize.com I get this:
View attachment 123057

Any comment on the center bore? I'm feeling that the brakes should be fine. Other Kona owners have put 16" rims and no problems.

Thanks all.
The numbers look pretty close. 0.2 taller shouldn't be an issue. 0.2 further out usually wouldn't unless it was really tight before -and the suspension clearance is actually better. No way to really know until you try them, but it looks pretty good. One tire brand to the next in the same size can often vary by 0.1 inches easily, so 0.2 inches is usually not a problem.

I think the uncertainty in this case would be the tread width of the stock OEMs (Goodyear Eagle Touring - 7.5") vs the other tires I'm considering. I am looking at either the Nitto Nomad Grappler or Nokian Outpost APT; neither of which I can get the tread widths for.

Yeah, for my car (a small SUV), I'm looking specifically at winter-biased all-terrain/off-road tires. There isn't a whole lot to choose from in 16" and 17". The Nitto and Nokian are a couple of the fewest (if not only) options out there for me.

Back