Aftermarket dryer heating element crapped out in a year

I installed an Amazon aftermarket heating element in my Kenmore dryer last year. The reviews seemed okay, it was cheap and it worked fine up until a few days ago -- literally one year +/- a few days of when I installed it (of course, the warranty is only one year). The dryer stopped heating and when I popped off the front panel, I could see the element was not glowing red. Took it out and found a piece of the coil had broken in half. I checked Amazon for another part but the delivery dates were almost a week out. This would normally be fine but we have a house full of guests over for this Thanksgiving weekend and soggy laundry just won't do. So yesterday, I called around to some local appliance parts stores (yes, they still exist!) and found one that was open. I spoke to a nice gentleman who said he had an OEM element in stock. Only kicker was the price: $80 (versus $25 for aftermarket ones on Amazon). We needed a working dryer ASAP so I bit the bullet and went to the local store. This was a real old timey place located away from the main part of town. The owner was a cool guy and he gave me tips on what else to look out for when doing the job. He thanked me several times for my business, saying the past few months have been really difficult. Paying the $80 didn't sting so bad after he said that. When I got home, I compared the old & new parts and it was obvious the OEM coils were of much better quality, being nearly twice as thick. The OEM part is made in the USA as well. Popped in the new part & the dryer works great again.

I should've just went with OEM the first time. Buy once, cry once.

A local laundromat is helpful in situations such as this, just haul your wet wash while you do your research and wait for the correct item to be delivered.

Going OEM makes sense with these type of appliances. You did the repair yourself so you saved in labor costs. Did you check the price of the same part at RepairClinic.com?

omg have not buy any replacement item off eBay or amazon in a long time; lesson learned here!

This makes me feel better about installing an expensive OEM element in our Frigidaire dryer about three years ago. Paid around C$250 + tax for the part only. My labour was free.

My parents electric dryer that they got used in 88 is still running fine today. It occasionally will need an idler assembly and belt and we try to stay oem with them, it’s easy to do as many manufacturers used the same parts. It got a new drum bearing last year too because the old one finally bit the dust. It’s amazing how well built and simple the old appliances are.

I had a Maytag dryer that was at least 30 years old when the element died. Replacement element has been going strong 20+ years. Not sure where I bought the element, it was so long ago. Other maintenance has been zero.

Saw your post too late. My mom bought a Whirlpool heating element (OEM, or FSP, forgot) to "throw parts at a dryer" that is still dead. Paid a decent amount and now just sit there like new condition. You could have gotten it from us for 1/2 price.

Saw your post too late. My mom bought a Whirlpool heating element (OEM, or FSP, forgot) to "throw parts at a dryer" that is still dead. Paid a decent amount and now just sit there like new condition. You could have gotten it from us for 1/2 price.
If that Dryer still isn't working, it could be the High Temp Circuit tripped and will need to be replaced.
But also find out why it tripped .... could be venting is full of lint and Dryer just over-heated.

Check out RepairClinic.com and others for advise on fixing & ordering OEM parts.

If that Dryer still isn't working, it could be the High Temp Circuit tripped and will need to be replaced.
But also find out why it tripped .... could be venting is full of lint and Dryer just over-heated.

Check out RepairClinic.com and others for advise on fixing & ordering OEM parts.
It was already scraped. The frame started rusting and being a coin op machine shared by 4 families, we need the long term reliability without downtime.

This. At some point I'm surprised that there even was a replacement part. My parents 20 plus year old fridge is impossible to get shelves etc.

Back