Aftermarket Bosch Plugs vs. Plugs from MB dealer.

Edit: The aftermarket Bosch plugs have ZR6SII3320 have printed on them. The Genuine MB plugs have ZR6SII3320R printed on them. Both plugs were Made in Germany. Obviously the MB plug (right) is used, but the electrode design looks very different to me. Bosch says it is the correct plug for the application.

Thoughts? The new plug was purchased from Worldpac.

9097EC09-3C57-4F21-98B7-08CB3FC6F7C4.jpeg

Last edited:
Probably an update since the MB plugs were manufactured.

I've heard some BMW and MB mechanics swear the BMW or MB branded Bosch plugs are different from the generic over-the-counter Bosch plug, but I've seen no evidence of it personally. Well your picture counts, I guess.

You should order a new Genuine MB plug and see which one it looks like.

It's been discussed in the Mercedes forums. Basically the MB plugs are different than the regular ones that Bosch sells. The MB plugs are indexed, properly, the regular Bosch plugs are not even though it's the same part number. Been like that for a while. Really one of the few times that it matters who you get them from. Of course buying the Bosch plugs from someone besides an MB dealer is much cheaper, but you'd have to index them yourself.

It's been discussed in the Mercedes forums. Basically the MB plugs are different than the regular ones that Bosch sells. The MB plugs are indexed, properly, the regular Bosch plugs are not even though it's the same part number. Been like that for a while. Really one of the few times that it matters who you get them from. Of course buying the Bosch plugs from someone besides an MB dealer is much cheaper, but you'd have to index them yourself.
Not true:

I would use the Mercedes dealer plug for the simple reason pushing the point of a Mercedes buyer would want the best part for their best car.

A "spark is a spark" isn't quite true in modern cars. My CX-5 analyzes the resistance during spark, and uses that for tuning.

In addition, different center and side electrode sizes and shapes affects flame kernel growth. And deposit burn-off, too.
Well there are also multispark systems out there too. I think Ford had waste fire systems where the plugs would also fire on the exhaust stroke for better emissions. Now Mercedes and other systems do up to 4-5 sparks per cycle for better combustion.

A "spark is a spark" isn't quite true in modern cars. My CX-5 analyzes the resistance during spark, and uses that for tuning.

In addition, different center and side electrode sizes and shapes affects flame kernel growth. And deposit burn-off, too.

Not to mention the gap.

Was going to ask if Mr. A Spark is a spark (of course of course) was referring to cheap copper plugs being the best but.. claim maybe does not hold water..

Saab was doing that before Mazda did. They called it Trionic - it used the ionization current from when a spark plug is fired for detonation/misfire detection.

Easy enough to verify the indexing.
The plugs are not very accessible.

0308D430-310C-4500-A925-57DB12FD3B4E.jpeg

5E21EAB1-82BA-471F-95AA-5F54F94E8395.jpeg

(The plugs are on the “underside” of the cam cover, and at an angle.)

I suppose I could have marked the plug-to-socket orientation for both plugs, but the car works fine for now.

Last edited:
If it makes a spark why worry what it looks like.
A spark is a spark.
Indexing can change where the spark is directed inside the combustion chamber and make a difference in how the engine runs.

My Mercedes both use NGK plugs.

If the OP‘s car were mine, I would go with genuine MB in this case.

People who have run Bosch in their M275s have regretted it.

Back