After new spark plugs, 93 Ford van hard starting

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am frustrated because two weeks ago I put in new plugs, (as well as, new PCV valve, air filter, and air breather filter), and now it doesn't start right up like it normally does. It takes a couple of tries, which I know is not good for the engine. I have a 93 Ford Econoline with 300 6 cyl engine. The plugs are correct, the gap is correct. The parts store sold me the BSF 44 C (motorcraft) which is copper. The parts guy said it was what the van came with originally. I do not recall what plugs I had in there before. Any ideas why it doesn't start like it normally does after changing plugs? I assume it is related to the spark considering that I just put plugs in, and that's when the problem began. But can it also be related to fuel or air? (I did change the filters....). Should I take out the plugs and replace them with a different brand, or maybe a platinum plug? My van has 175K on it. The wires, cap, and rotor are about two years old. Thanks for any suggestions.

Last edited:
Did you change the wires? Tugging on old wires to remove them may have damaged them. Any time i change plugs, i always use new ignition wires. It just saves time and trouble. If you have a cap and rotor, replace those too. I always replace them with the plugs. Once and done.

Last edited:
Regarding the possibility of something gone wrong with the spark plug replacement, I've seen what spasm3 said about the plug wires. Older wires will usually function just fine, but as soon as they are handled, especially pulled on to remove them from a plug, the inner core will break down. This can happen even if you were extremely cautious and did everything "by-the-book".

Another possibility is a cracked porcelain on a spark plug. Just a brief moment of less than perfect form during installation can result in a porcelain fracture.

Replace the wires first and then see where you're at with the hard starting. That is the most likely culprit considering what you've posted.

Keith

Thanks, I didn't know that about handling wires. i will put new wires in along with the cap and rotor. Thank you for your answers!

Also, isn't that a waste spark system? 2 plugs firing at the same time? I'd get double plats, if this is the case.
You can get them in copper core, if you like.

I had a 1989 F-150 with the 4.9, 300 six with fuel injection and it ran great on the copper Motorcraft factory plugs. I changed them as recommended in the manual at 36,000 miles. The plugs still looked new, not worn at all. I used Autolight plugs for the next 36,000 miles. These did not operate or look as good when I changed them. Went back the Motorcraft plugs. Never changed them again, I sold it at ~120,000 miles. Still ran smooth as silk. I changed the wires, cap and rotor the second time I changed the plugs at ~72,000 miles and never after that. I used Motorcraft parts.

Whimsey

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back