Advice on siphoning gas

I am in the process of replacing a "dead" fuel pump on my 2003 Grand Marquis and need advice on removing most of the gas from the tank.. There's about 3/4 tank of gas in the tank. I tried using a small hose into the spout and a manual hand pump but there's some kind of theft device in the spout preventing the hose from entering the tank. The tank doesn't need to be dropped and I was hoping for a better way than removing the pump assembly and having the gas come gushing out like Niagra Falls. I was thinking of removing the line off the fuel filter outlet, attaching a hose and try pumping out. I don't know if gas can be extracted this way or not. There's no shrader valve on the fuel rail starting on 2003.

Done that. Every video assumes the fuel pump still runs and uses the pump to remove the gas from the tank.

Last edited:
Either the outlet is below the tank and gravity will drain the tank when you undo a line, or it's coming out the top and then it either drains out or it doesn't.

I take it the fuel pump is not inside the tank and accesible through a hatch? in that case all you need to do is open the doors and work outside or in a well vented space.

Have done many crown vics if the tank is 3/4 just drop the tank as is ........note on the high mile beat up patrol cars I have done we actually cut a hole in the trunk in the appropriate location and gain acces to the pump then make a sheet metal cover and use ultra black to seal it back up

If it's a customer car we take the tank completely down

Doesn't the pump assembly come out from the top of the tank? If so, why would the gas come gushing out when you remove the pump?
It's a weird shaped tank. Pump/ sender assy is side mounted facing the front about six- eight inches behind differential cover.

I thought I would share this as it might help someone in a similiar situation some day.

Pulled the fuel line off the oulet side of the fuel filter. Connected the pump's hose to the filter nipple and started using the hand pump. I was able to drain 15 gallons out of the tank in about 45 minutes and no spilled fuel.

I have a few siphon hoses with this one-way rattle valve.
1661981379977.png

IIRC, they fit through the tank filler restrictor flap.

There's probably a fuel filler assembly, then a hose, then the tank. Disconnect that hose at the tank nipple... except you already found another way.

There's probably a fuel filler assembly, then a hose, then the tank. Disconnect that hose at the tank nipple... except you already found another way.
I have read there is some kind of baffle at the tank's inlet to prevent gas theft. My curiosity doesn't outweigh the task of removing the spout. to see.

There is a plastic ball to prevent theft it can be "popped" into the tank or out if the filler neck is out

Also are you sure there isn't a drain plug on the tank? I know my BMW and the Accord have one. Also the ECHO I think. On the Accord it was covered up with thick rustproofing or whatever that stuff is.

Back