Advice on getting a pressure washer

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm looking to buy a pressure washer exclusively to wash my cars, and get some foaming action going. I'm not sure what to look for. Any advice is appreciated, I would like something under or around $100 also. Gas or electric doesn't matter. Thanks

a 2000 psi gas one is good enough for what you want to do, for your price range i would look on craigslist or the like for a used one. i got a gas one for $40 with gun and all ,but it did not run, cleaned the carb and new gas and it runs great.

the electric ones in your price range won't be powerful enough to run a foam cannon well

I bought a 2200 psi gas unit (new) for various jobs. Works great for cars but is a little under powered for concrete. I wish I had bought at least 2600 psi so I could use it for more jobs.

I also got rid of my old electric model. Too many wires, hoses, etc. to deal with. Even the single hose on my gas unit gets in the way sometimes.

I have an Electric Ryobi 1700 Psi and it's about 5 years old. I use it a few times a week to clean the car, I also clean the deck, BBQ, gutters, siding, windows. It has been a real workhorse. I think I paid $130 Canadian so like $100 USD for it. It's not quiet but it is durable. Works great with my Foam-Cannon for sudsing up the car. The Black Cone nozzle is ultra powerful and if held too close to wood boards in your deck it will strip the wood. I found out the hard way.
grin2.gif

[Linked Image]

Last edited:
Originally Posted by WhyMe
a 2000 psi gas one is good enough for what you want to do, for your price range i would look on craigslist or the like for a used one. i got a gas one for $40 with gun and all ,but it did not run, cleaned the carb and new gas and it runs great.

the electric ones in your price range won't be powerful enough to run a foam cannon well

Yeah I just did a search on Craigslist and found some 3000psi and up gas powered washers in my price range.

Originally Posted by DreamerGT
Originally Posted by WhyMe

Yeah I just did a search on Craigslist and found some 3000psi and up gas powered washers in my price range.

when you go check it up make sure to hook it up to water to test it out. make sure it comes with a gun and hose. those 2 things if you had to buy it add up quick. i love using my pressure washer and foam cannon to wash my vehicles. uses a lot less water than in the past and get it a lot cleaner

If it will be for washing a car and light cleaning, an electric one is much more convenient. Almost all of the modern models will shut off immediately when you release the trigger, which is a *really* nice feature.

I have both gas and electric. The electric is just plain easier to use. You can bring them in the basement for the winter without worrying about gas in the fuel tank. An electric one can inject soap to clean things but if you must have a foam gun you need about 2000 PSI which usually calls for a gas one. The gas ones with vertical shaft engines are typically cheap. They advertise the brand of the engine but not the pump which is what will go first. A horizontal shaft one is better but more $$.

Buy an electric at Home Depot and use it for a few weeks. You can always return it saying it did not meet your needs.

Homeowner and some gypsy contractors are doing damage to wood with pressure washers. In many cases a house cleaning product and a garden hose is a better idea.

I have had both and prefer gas. The electric ones have good pressure, but have a small GPM. They don't put out enough water to clean well. Maybe the newer ones are better. One you have one you will use it a lot more than you think. I clean my house, cars, camper, deck, driveway cement, and deck chairs.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by tmorris1
I have had both and prefer gas. The electric ones have good pressure, but have a small GPM. They don't put out enough water to clean well. Maybe the newer ones are better. One you have one you will use it a lot more than you think. I clean my house, cars, camper, deck, driveway cement, and deck chairs.

I stripped the paint off my aluminum siding with my electric pressure washer. I also damaged the wood on my deck in a small area when I was cleaning it. Not sure what electric pressure washer you tried but the one I listed above has enough pressure to do damage.
21.gif

For what you will use it for an electric washer will do fine. I have a Sun Joe 1800 PSI that I've had for a few years that I really like.

And by the way, thank you for knowing the difference between ADVICE and ADVISE! That is a pet peeve of mine, people posting that they need ADVISE on how to complete a task instead of asking for ADVICE. That and people who refer to the BRAKES on their car as the BREAKS. Rant over
grin.gif

Originally Posted by tmorris1

I agree, once you start using it you will find more and more projects for the machine, and wish you had more power. IMO gas is better, and much more powerful.

With regard to damage, sure you can destroy things with it. I got a lot of business over the years when the local landscapers first started power washing houses and decks and wrecking them. I took pictures and showed potential customers what can happen when they hire someone who doesn't know what he's doing. LOL It works.Then there was when a transformer exploded in front of my brother's house and Lilco sent out a crew to power wash his aluminum siding. One of the rocket scientist crew members decided to wash some residue off with a smiley face, and ruined the siding. My brother came home from work and driving down the block he saw a smiley face about 10'x10'. He called me and we both had a good laugh at Lilco's expense. They sent out a manager who suggested they have someone paint the siding. My brother laughed and said you're going to replace it, all if it. They did with vinyl siding. Bottom line in the wrong hands they can do major damage. Common sense should prevail.

Back OT- more power is better when you need it, and when you don't just throttle back the gas engine and dial in the power you need. I'd up the budget too.

Last edited:
I got a "used" 3300 psi Honda gas washer a few years ago at Sams for a great price. However, that sucker will take paint off a bumper....the wifes car, but she didn't notice. You surely don't want anything that too strong, for sure.

Originally Posted by Schmoe
I got a "used" 3300 psi Honda gas washer a few years ago at Sams for a great price. However, that sucker will take paint off a bumper....the wifes car, but she didn't notice. You surely don't want anything that too strong, for sure.

I have one, and I would never dream of using it on ANY of my vehicles.

I've owned two cheap electric Pressure Washers and a gas PW. The gas was so loud and didn't last long. The cheap electrics had problems after a while.

A friend recommended this one which I bought and have owned a few years. Nice quantity, use it all the time for washing cars, cleaning pool deck, fences, and porches.

Pressure hose winds up on reel and has very long power cord.
Has Dual built-in detergent tanks.

This is a winner!

Earthwiseâ„¢ 1850 PSI Electric Pressure Washer

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Earthwise-1-850-psi-1-4-GPM-Electric-Pressure-Washer-PW18503/205694662

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back