Advice of Fuel level for storing vehicle

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am looking at putting a car away in my garage for 3-6 months and wondering if I should have the tank full or not? The battery will be on a auto charger.

Full tank of gas with Sta-Bil. Battery on a float charger. That will do the trick.
burnout.gif

Fuel stabiliser is fairly uncommon here, except at marine equipment places. Even they often don't have it in stock. Maybe our warmer winters don't warrant it.

Well, you'd better do your ****dest to find some
wink.gif
There might be a way to order a bottle of STA-BIL from a place, or some store has to sell it around there somewhere.

That said, I once ran a car completely dry and then just let it sit for about 2.5 years out in the open. Fresh gas and a new battery and it fired right up and ran great. I don't reccomend that you do something like that (this car ended up falling apart around it's motor and transmission...just slamming the trunk produced a downpour of rust from the underside). But if there was absolutely no other option, it might be all right to run it dry, and then run some injector cleaner and a new fuel filter when you fire it up again.

But I WOULDN'T unless you really truly could not get any sort of stabiliser. It really is the best way to go.

quote:

Originally posted by theguru:
Fuel stabiliser is fairly uncommon here, except at marine equipment places. Even they often don't have it in stock. Maybe our warmer winters don't warrant it.

Fuel will go bad no matter what the temperature. It's time, not temperature that degrades it.

Everyone's right about the full tank. If the tank is empty, temperature changes will cause humidity in the air to condense out, and you'll end up with a pool of water at the bottom of your tank. Full tank = minimal air in the tank.

It's not the end of the world in a car, but in an airplane that could really ruin your day!!! I was always taught to refuel before parking the plane at the end of the day.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back