advance auto parts oil filter

Status
Not open for further replies.
What is everybodys opinion on advance auto parts filter. The one painted orange. I think it is made by Puralator. How does it compare to supertechs, Mopar m090, Puralators for 5000 oci?

It should be identical to the ProLine oil filter at Pep Boys, only painted red. They are indeed made by Purolator. As far as I know they don't carry them anymore, only for commercial accounts?

All I know is I bought about 30 of them for 1.44 each (half price) about a year or so ago. Good filters. Too bad they aren't selling them anymore to the general public.

I got one of them when I had AAP match PB's Shell oil and filter deal for $9.99. Not a bad filter at all, same coating as the new Pure One filters only a different color (nicer than the puke color too!). For $1.44 each I would have bought 30 of them too! Nice score!

Frank D

With the premise of the original question, are the Mopar M090's considered low-end filters? My inclination was, being OEM filters; they were more of a top tier filter.

Does purolator make 2 kinda of cans/baseplates? Or have they changed their design? I've seen like in this filter the oval holes, and in other purolators 8 holes in the baseplate (i.e. in Bosch premium and pureone)

I changed the oil on two of my vehicles last week and removed 2 AAP filters. I got them on the last BOGO before they took them off the shelf and moved them to the back. Heck of a deal for $2.88. Now, I wish I had bought more.

I got an oil filter cutter for Christmas. I first cut open a Pure One (puke gold) that I took off my daughter's car a while back. Looked well made. Then I cut open the same filter# from an AAP that I had removed . With the exception of the ADBV, I couldn't tell much if any difference.

Thing is, the AAP is so easy to hand tighten and remove compared to the slick ST and PuroPP I replaced them with, that I wanted to see if I could get more AAP filters.

It so happens I know a young guy who is a manager at the local AAP. Went in and asked him if he'd sell me a few AAP filters. Bought 3 @ $2.88 each. Not a steal, but the Total Grip works well and I'm happy. Oh, and I agree with Frank D, the red color is much nicer.

I've used a lot of the AAP filter. Cheap Purolator is al it is, but it's still miles better than a Fram. and for 2.88 you can't beat it. HOWEVER... in the past year I've had 2 purolator pemiums (white ones) leak/weep on me. 1 was on a corolla and the other a suzuki. I've been using Purolators since the mid 90's and only now have I had 2 leak in one year. they both were weeping/leaking at the seam near the baseplate where the can meets it. So I'm moving to Wix.

Have to keep an eye on the Puro premium I put on my Altima. Never had any issues.

The AAP was much easier to put on (and take off) my 3.4 tacoma. The filter is a pita to reach.

I used the AAP TotalGrip's and liked them. I have one left from the last BOGO sale.

Since their demise, I've switched over to the Wix-built ProSelect filters at Napa.

Originally Posted By: mrsilv04
I used the AAP TotalGrip's and liked them. I have one left from the last BOGO sale.

Since their demise, I've switched over to the Wix-built ProSelect filters at Napa.

How much are the ProSelect filters (typically)?

Originally Posted By: Samuraidog
Originally Posted By: mrsilv04

How much are the ProSelect filters (typically)?

The ones that I use are $2.99 each.

3800 GM V6
3.8 Ford V6
5.0 Ford V8
5300 Vortec GM V8

Originally Posted By: Toy4x4runner
did Purolator get sold, or change in the past few yrs?

Yes.

In 2006 the Bosch Group and MANN+HUMMEL acquired the Purolator filter business from ArvinMeritor.

The acquired business is run as a 50:50 joint venture company. I have not checked recently, but at the time of the acquisition they had a plant in Fayetteville, North Carolina, producing filters and a distribution center in Salt Lake City, Utah.

Originally Posted By: ThirdeYe
It should be identical to the ProLine oil filter at Pep Boys, only painted red. They are indeed made by Purolator. As far as I know they don't carry them anymore, only for commercial accounts?

They were moved to the back but if you want one they will sell it to you, just remember they use the same numbers as Fram.

wow, 10k on a housebrand filter! I got almost 10k on a supertech filter. 10k is my limit though!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back