Adhesive to fix fallen part of headliner?

My headliner has fallen/come unglued in these two spots. As you can see I have it ghetto fixed to keep it from spreading haha. What kind’ve glue or adhesive can I use to reattach it?

Thanks in advance!!
93A0842D-C591-45C4-8CC2-FFD98183EECD.jpeg

It is likely to not stick. The reason it is falling is because the foam underlayment is failing, turning into a goo. Any glue you put on there will bleed right through the material and probably not stick to the backside. The flipside to that is, you do not want to just pull that off and leave it bare. You'll regret it. The only real fix is to pull it, strip it, and do new material.

It is likely to not stick. The reason it is falling is because the foam underlayment is failing, turning into a goo. Any glue you put on there will bleed right through the material and probably not stick to the backside. The flipside to that is, you do not want to just pull that off and leave it bare. You'll regret it. The only real fix is to pull it, strip it, and do new material.
Yup agree 100% the foam is deteriorated and is crumbling apart. 3M makes a headliner spray, but in thi case you need to remove the headliner, remove the fabric, then clean all the gunk of the headliner, reapply the foam and re gule the fabric. I had my GTO headliner redoe for about $125 plus the fabric which I found on headliners4cars.com

I've found you can stop gap by carefully cleaning the failing foam off the affected area and then using the 3M headliner adhesive spray, I've been good for a decade now. Usually the foam fails where it is exposed to UV or direct sunlight at some point on a regular basis.

Last edited:
Thanks everyone for all the replies!! I might try the 3M stuff if I can find it to ward off the inevitable:D

Applying the spray can version is going to make a mess on such a small area. Get a bottle version of contact cement with the brush in the cap. Brush on the fabric and the board. Wait 10-15 minutes. Join together. Done.

Take a small stiff bristle brush and carefully brush away any loose dried out foam with a old stiff toothbrush.

Take this and cut out the shape you need and put it on the headliner board, it will stick like crazy, carefully remove the other side of the paper exposing the outside adhesive and carefully place the headliner on it working from the far end, if you wrinkle it leave it. Do it carefully and you will not see the repair, it does not bleed through like sprays.
I have used this to reapply the front and rear edges of headliner where the factory did not overlap it and wind blows it loose, the foam and rest of the material is stuck.
On that job I also use this to put a edge overlap using the proper color of book binders fabric tape.

In my 99 ML320, it wasn't the headliner but A pillar liner separated. Believe it or not, I glued it back with Crazy glue from dollar store, worked fine for 8 years or so until I retired it.

In the even that I just go ahead and get the headliner replaced, I have a question. My 300ZX's headliner is what I'm guessing is "pleather", to match the leather interior. A 25 year old car and it's still in showroom new condition. Can one like that be installed in my Accord instead of that cheapy thin fabric crap? My Accord has leather interior as well.

In the even that I just go ahead and get the headliner replaced, I have a question. My 300ZX's headliner is what I'm guessing is "pleather", to match the leather interior. A 25 year old car and it's still in showroom new condition. Can one like that be installed in my Accord instead of that cheapy thin fabric crap? My Accord has leather interior as well.
Honda USED to use that type of vinyl headliners in older model Accords from the early 2000s and prior, they lasted forever.
These leading companies like Honda, Toyota are resting on the laurels of their old reputation for rock solid durability and reliability but their quality has lessened over time.

Back