Adding Seafoam to crankcase question

rav

I saw a video on YouTube by the Oil Motor Geek addressing 'oiladditives' and tge one that got my attention was on Seafoam. He showed that Seafoam evaporated at about 230 F, which is less than the oil temperature when tge motor is running & at operating temperature. This would make It seem useless as an engine cleaner. Anyone want to address this?
I have been adding an ounce per quart of oil for several years to all my cars & the top ends are like brand new clean, which doesn't make sense if it in fact it evaporates.
What am I missing here? Anyone.....

I saw a video on YouTube by the Oil Motor Geek addressing 'oiladditives' and tge one that got my attention was on Seafoam. He showed that Seafoam evaporated at about 230 F, which is less than the oil temperature when tge motor is running & at operating temperature. This would make It seem useless as an engine cleaner. Anyone want to address this?
I have been adding an ounce per quart of oil for several years to all my cars & the top ends are like brand new clean, which doesn't make sense if it in fact it evaporates.
Try Gumout Multi-System Tune Up instead. It will not flash like Seafoam, same rate 1oz/qt and you can run it for the full oci.

1) What Oil are you using?
2) What are your OCI's?
3) Can you show us some Pics of your Top End, guessing Valvetrain?

We had an old '03 Ford Mondeo ST220 with a Duratec 3.0 V6 that was an awful oil burner when we bought it.

I put Seafoam in for 1000miles before an OCI and it slowed the oil burning right down. That said, it was early days in ownership and my Wife used to drive it like her right foot was too heavy to pick up. Did she just free up some stuck rings by driving it hard? Who knows?

Changing the PCV in that car cured the oil burning altogether. But I'm inclined to think that it does something.

I did use Seafoam Hydrtrans in a Saab 95 we had that had very slight shift flares and it worked wonders.

Last edited:
Reactions: rav
If you’re really interested in doing a flush, buy one of the products that is specifically formulated for that purpose. Something like this:

Seafoam was made for marine motors dealing with fuel quality issues almost 100 years ago. Keep using it if you want but those engines are very likely clean because you use modern fuel and modern oils for reasonable intervals.

“The Sea Foam story began in the 1930s, when Fred Fandrei, a salesman in the petroleum industry, wanted to spend more time fishing than fixing his outboard motor because of fuel-related problems. With the goal of finding the perfect petroleum blend, Fred created a formula that would stop fuel from going bad and help his motor run better. The formula became quite popular among his fishing friends. He began selling it to local fishermen in beer bottles and quart jars, naming the formula “Sea Foam” after a friend in Florida called and asked for some of that “Sea Foam stuff.”

1) What Oil are you using?
2) What are your OCI's?
3) Can you show us some Pics of your Top End, guessing Valvetrain?
I've been using the Pennzoil Platinum 5W30 in my bmw 330iC & 540i.
OCI=5000 miles
This is my M54 330Ci engine with approx.114k miles
20200922_150324.jpg

This is my '92 535i M30 engine with 73K miles
20230117_135400.jpg

This is my '01 540i 4.4L V8 passenger side with 50k miles

VC Pass side 8.jpg

Last edited:
Back