Adding Oil To An Amsoil OCI

What's to afford? If you use SS to it's capability then it's no more expensive than other synthetics. That's what their SS line of engine oil is made for. Don't dump it early or else you're wasting it.
My son changed out the Amsoil in our trucks a few months ago. We went back with Havoline Pro DS 5W30.
So far, our engines have YET to consume ANY of the Havoline.
👨‍🎨

Back in June or July, my son did an Amsoil 5W30 SS OCI to his truck and mine. My OCI only has about 2K miles or less. His (new style 04 F150 Lariat 5.4 3V, 70K miles) OCI has about 7K miles. He checks his oil every other gas fill up and noticed his oil is going down. Currently it's almost a qt. low.
Q?; Which synthetic oil would you fine members use to top it off if it were your truck? I was thinking ST or Havoline.
Opinions? :unsure:
Tell him if it’s using oil like that dump the amsoil and just run the cheap stuff that meets spec. Save some cash

My son changed out the Amsoil in our trucks a few months ago. We went back with Havoline Pro DS 5W30.
So far, our engines have YET to consume ANY of the Havoline.
👨‍🎨
I just hope you're not saying that Amsoil is inferior in ANY way. In another application it could very well be the Havoline that gets consumed. Each engine/engine oil combo is different.

I just hope you're not saying that Amsoil is inferior in ANY way. In another application it could very well be the Havoline that gets consumed. Each engine/engine oil combo is different.
Are you sure? I thought amsoil was scamsoil and the only "real" synthetic was Redline! lol! I used Amsoil in my 2001 Stage2+ S4 for years and years and never had an oil related issue. I'm now using it in my wifes CR-V and I have used it my my Subaru previously.

All I know is with EVERY other oil I have used in my engine (the same goes for my sons engine) the Amsoil was the ONLY oil that seemed to have disappeared, vanished, was consumed, evaporated, etc., from the engine. It didn't totally disappear, it was just being consumed in some sort of way.
Who knows, maybe an Alien ship broke down, needed oil, and they knew our engines had Amsoil in them. 🤷‍♂️

All I know is with EVERY other oil I have used in my engine (the same goes for my sons engine) the Amsoil was the ONLY oil that seemed to have disappeared, vanished, was consumed, evaporated, etc., from the engine. It didn't totally disappear, it was just being consumed in some sort of way.
Who knows, maybe an Alien ship broke down, needed oil, and they knew our engines had Amsoil in them. 🤷‍♂️
Guess your engines had allergies to a real quality oil. Like putting a silk hat on the proverbial pig.

Guess your engines had allergies to a real quality oil. Like putting a silk hat on the proverbial pig.
I buy approx 300-400 gallons of assorted Amsoil fluids every year.
But some engines just don’t do well with particular brands of oil.
Why the angst? To each it’s own.

I buy approx 300-400 gallons of assorted Amsoil fluids every year.
But some engines just don’t do well with particular brands of oil.
Why the angst? To each it’s own.
This is exactly what some of the MORE KNOWLEDGEABLE members here stated as well.
Including yourself. ;)

In general most Amsoil oil Noacks are very low so where is the oil going?

maybe it's coefficient of friction is low (e.g. too much moly and more slippery?) and it does not do well with certain engines or old(er) engines. Just a wild guess! It may just be too good for certain engines.

p.s.
I'm OilUzer but not Amsoil user.

Assuming no leaks, Amsoil is typically consumed in an engine with worn oil control rings or valve guide seals, but also is consumed the first 4-5 OCI's in engines that may have some level of build up on the piston and rings. The oil is combusted and further oxidized on the cat, I assume getting to the combustion chamber via the rings. This type of consumption does typically decrease as the cleaning tapers off.

I have never, ever had oil consumption in an engine I started new with Amsoil. But EVERY car I bought used, had oil consumption no matter what oil. I have not bought anything used for 10 years+. People, in general, treat engines like hell. If you are on BITOG you typically are not THAT person.

Last edited:
Assuming no leaks, Amsoil is typically consumed in an engine with worn oil control rings or valve guide seals, but also is consumed the first 4-5 OCI's in engines that may have some level of build up on the piston and rings. The oil is combusted and further oxidized on the cat, I assume getting to the combustion chamber via the rings. This type of consumption does typically decrease as the cleaning tapers off.

I have never, ever had oil consumption in an engine I started new with Amsoil. But EVERY car I bought used, had oil consumption no matter what oil. I have not bought anything used for 10 years+. People, in general, treat engines like hell. If you are on BITOG you typically are not THAT person.
Amsoil is the only oil that our engines have consumed. I can't explain it. My average OCI over the past 14 years in my engine is 3-5K miles. And, with quality oil. My son has only had his truck for 2 years and changes his every 5-7K miles.
As other knowledgeable members here have stated, some oils WILL get consumed in certain engines.
BTW, my current OCI is at almost 2K miles. I checked the oil earlier today and it was STILL full. 🤷‍♂️

Back