Adding Oil To An Amsoil OCI

His shop foreman suggested a qt. of MC 5W30 synthetic. He has a few qts. in his station and was going to give one of them to my son.
Opinion?

I agree with the other posters, I would use Amsoil if possible. I assumed you meant what to use if he had no Amsoil on hand. Any oil is going to be better than running 1+quarts low.

But since he has Amsoil in there and its an extended drain oil, I'd either use Amsoil, or if thats not available I'd use another extended drain oil like Mobil 1 EP. Especially if he is going to go another 7k. I also agree with others, get a uoa at 7-10k before going blindly to 15k.

Before just going 15k i'd also look at driving habits, if its mostly highway runs, thats one thing. Short trips and a lot of city driving? I'd think twice, especially in cold weather.

I agree also with 4WD, what filter is he running? Motorcraft? If so i'd run an extended drain filter like Fram Ultra, Toughguard, or an Amsoil filter.

Last edited:
images.jpeg-8.jpg

A quart in 2000 miles? Granted it's not a quart per 1000 miles, but it's getting there. Maybe see what's going on also.
There's also the possibility that using a different oil for the first time could cause the usage....PS: I think he's down a qt. after 7k...not 2k.

Amsoil and nothing else. Why do you want to dilute the best oil you could possibly have? The culinary equivalent would be putting ketchup on a good steak.
Right, I would think part of the Amsoil 15,000 mile interval includes using there 15,000 mile interval oil to top off your 15,000 mile interval fill. Love amzoil but no way would I run it 15,000 miles. But if I did I would definitely top off with the same.

A quart in 7000 miles is what I read.
True, 7K miles. Actually, it's only .75 of a qt.
I talked to him this morning and he said he's only going to go until 9-10K miles on the OCI. He's going to add a qt. of M1 EP 5W30.
BTW, he has a NAPA GOLD oil filter on the engine.

He is only averaging a little over 1100 miles/month. He is going to hit the 1 year mark well before the 25K mark. If he isn’t going to do a UOA and this is just a one time run of SS I would top off with M1EP, Castrol Edge EP, or really any syn off the shelf.
he only has 6 more months or 3000ish miles to go before he hits his 9-10K mile oci. PYB or super tech will handle that

So, I’d ask what filter he has. If it’s Motorcraft … put another one on because they don’t have a big history of 15k runs. That will mean additional oil loss/added - but that’s a “boost” to the current oil and helps get to 15k with less worry.
R1jake said:
A quart in 7000 miles is what I read.
True, 7K miles. Actually, it's only .75 of a qt.
I talked to him this morning and he said he's only going to go until 9-10K miles on the OCI. He's going to add a qt. of M1 EP 5W30.
BTW, he has a NAPA GOLD oil filter on the engine.

Reactions: 4WD
A quart in 7,000 miles isn’t too bad. If he’s planning on doing a oil analysis, then top up with Amsoil. If not, Mobil 1 EP. What type of oil change interval is he planning? If he plans on going past 10,000 miles on a conventional filter, he needs to change the filter.
He's adding .75 qt. of M1 EP 5W30 to his engine.
He's going 9-10 K miles before his next OCI. (Adding 2-3K more miles to current OCI)

Back in June or July, my son did an Amsoil 5W30 SS OCI to his truck and mine. My OCI only has about 2K miles or less. His (new style 04 F150 Lariat 5.4 3V, 70K miles) OCI has about 7K miles. He checks his oil every other gas fill up and noticed his oil is going down. Currently it's almost a qt. low.
Q?; Which synthetic oil would you fine members use to top it off if it were your truck? I was thinking ST or Havoline.
Opinions? :unsure:
Imagine that a quart low a 7K mile half the people on BITOG would have a grin on their face you couldn't wipe off :giggle:

You would think people who use amsoil will also use amsoil to top up.

If amsoil was a gift and you are not going back then any full synthetic oil should be able to handle the additional 7K. It's also only 1 quart. Cleanup the garage! Any leftover oil of any kind in the garage?

You would think people who use amsoil will also use amsoil to top up.

If amsoil was a gift and you are not going back then any full synthetic oil should be able to handle the additional 7K. It's also only 1 quart. Cleanup the garage! Any leftover oil of any kind in the garage?

If I was using Amsoil, I'd have some on hand for this type of thing.

Just me 😉

Some people can afford Amsoil, some can't. I was very fortunate to receive it as a gift. I am also very fortunate that my oil level with Amsoil still remains the same. I barely have 2K miles on my Amsoil OCI. I will probably go 2 years with it.
BTW, my son added .75 qt. of 5W30 M1 EP yesterday.

Some people can afford Amsoil, some can't. I was very fortunate to receive it as a gift. I am also very fortunate that my oil level with Amsoil still remains the same. I barely have 2K miles on my Amsoil OCI. I will probably go 2 years with it.
What's to afford? If you use SS to it's capability then it's no more expensive than other synthetics. That's what their SS line of engine oil is made for. Don't dump it early or else you're wasting it.

A quart of Amsoil (preferred price) is $10 and a quart of Mobil 1 EP is $8.96 at Walmart.

A quart of Amsoil (preferred price) is $10 and a quart of Mobil 1 EP is $8.96 at Walmart.

Not sure about the single quart price but couple weeks ago I bought 5qt jug of M1 EP 10W30 for $22.xx or $24.xx at Wal-Mart. the other EPs (0W-20 , 5W-30) were also the same price.
That's about $4.70 per quart.

Back