Adding Oil To An Amsoil OCI

Back in June or July, my son did an Amsoil 5W30 SS OCI to his truck and mine. My OCI only has about 2K miles or less. His (new style 04 F150 Lariat 5.4 3V, 70K miles) OCI has about 7K miles. He checks his oil every other gas fill up and noticed his oil is going down. Currently it's almost a qt. low.
Q?; Which synthetic oil would you fine members use to top it off if it were your truck? I was thinking ST or Havoline.
Opinions? :unsure:

LOL. It's your truck. I'm a diehard Amsoil user & fan. I've spent a small fortune on UOA with Amsoil and I'm a real believer in their products. I was "funning" with you. To be serious, you're the one who said your son is planning to go to 15K on this OCI. I wouldn't do that without having UOA for support. On Amsoil SS "extended oil change intervals" which I believe THEY define as "longer than manufacturer recommended," I would want an oil analysis somewhere ~12K just to be sure of yourself going to 15K. I don't know what your son's owner's manual recommends nor do I know what you're comfortable with....maybe run it as far as your son is comfortable doing and then UOA? I can tell you from experience that using their SS oils, they're not interested in initial UOA (to see if further use is OK) until you have 7500 miles on the sample. I can also tell you that Amsoil TBN is way higher than "lesser oils," so I'm not sure if I agree with "diluting it." TBN is 12.5, go the distance: https://amsoilcontent.com/ams/lit/databulletins/g2880.pdf
I've run Amsoil SS oil changes far past 20K, but I run bypass filtration and I've got supporting UOA. The "cheaper" side of this discussion is that the UOA cost may be near the equivalent cost of the oil change itself? To which I would reply, you're setting precedent; trying to find the envelope of where is comfortable and practical. What is the oil capacity of said truck? Hope this helps you. ;)

Amsoil SS 5W30 sells for $10 qt. member price. I'd say you owe JLTD a decent steak, but that's between you two. What oil change interval does the owner's manual say? Are you and/or your son comfortable with adding "whatever" oil and running to a 15K OCI without doing oil analysis?
FYI, oil analysis thru Horizon (Amsoil) is $28 and includes TBN; and @ 7 qts. capacity, you're $70 for the oil plus whatever filter you choose to run...I'm not trying to make a decision for you, I'm trying to help you weigh the costs (economy) of your options...Generally speaking, if your initial analysis is questionable on either wear metals or contaminants, they will suggest you do another UOA in 3500 miles. I do like their color coded test reports...

Last edited:
Back in June or July, my son did an Amsoil 5W30 SS OCI to his truck and mine. My OCI only has about 2K miles or less. His (new style 04 F150 Lariat 5.4 3V, 70K miles) OCI has about 7K miles. He checks his oil every other gas fill up and noticed his oil is going down. Currently it's almost a qt. low.
Q?; Which synthetic oil would you fine members use to top it off if it were your truck? I was thinking ST or Havoline.
Opinions? :unsure:
A quart in 2000 miles? Granted it's not a quart per 1000 miles, but it's getting there. Maybe see what's going on also.

What time of day is your son checking the oil?
Is it first thing in the morning? or while filling up?

If it's not "first thing in the morning" before he initially starts it (while on level ground), he's almost certainly going to get a false reading.

LOL. It's your truck. I'm a diehard Amsoil user & fan. I've spent a small fortune on UOA with Amsoil and I'm a real believer in their products. I was "funning" with you. To be serious, you're the one who said your son is planning to go to 15K on this OCI. I wouldn't do that without having UOA for support. On Amsoil SS "extended oil change intervals" which I believe THEY define as "longer than manufacturer recommended," I would want an oil analysis somewhere ~12K just to be sure of yourself going to 15K. I don't know what your son's owner's manual recommends nor do I know what you're comfortable with....maybe run it as far as your son is comfortable doing and then UOA? I can tell you from experience that using their SS oils, they're not interested in initial UOA (to see if further use is OK) until you have 7500 miles on the sample. I can also tell you that Amsoil TBN is way higher than "lesser oils," so I'm not sure if I agree with "diluting it." TBN is 12.5, go the distance: https://amsoilcontent.com/ams/lit/databulletins/g2880.pdf
I've run Amsoil SS oil changes far past 20K, but I run bypass filtration and I've got supporting UOA. The "cheaper" side of this discussion is that the UOA cost may be near the equivalent cost of the oil change itself? To which I would reply, you're setting precedent; trying to find the envelope of where is comfortable and practical. What is the oil capacity of said truck? Hope this helps you. ;)
I'd say the cost of a complete oil change with 7 qts.of Amsoil SS and a premium oil filter is probably double what a UOA costs.

What time of day is your son checking the oil?
Is it first thing in the morning? or while filling up?

If it's not "first thing in the morning" before he initially starts it (while on level ground), he's almost certainly going to get a false reading.
He drives to the Ford dealership he works at and parks. Before he leaves work he checks his oil, on a level ground, engine had not run in over 8 hours. Is he doing it correctly? :rolleyes:

I'd add Amsoil. The whole point in using a premium extended drain, or any premium product is to reap the supposed benefits, and not dilute it with something else. Amsoil would frown upon mixing their oil with another brand, as would most Bitogers.

FTR I wouldn't get discouraged either. Give the product another OCI and see if consumption decreases or stops. Many times switching brands triggers consumption for an OCI or two.

June or July 2021, or 15K miles.
So, I’d ask what filter he has. If it’s Motorcraft … put another one on because they don’t have a big history of 15k runs. That will mean additional oil loss/added - but that’s a “boost” to the current oil and helps get to 15k with less worry.

A quart in 7,000 miles isn’t too bad. If he’s planning on doing a oil analysis, then top up with Amsoil. If not, Mobil 1 EP. What type of oil change interval is he planning? If he plans on going past 10,000 miles on a conventional filter, he needs to change the filter.

Last edited:
Back