Adding ATF when cold

Hi,

The ATF level for my wee Suzuki Swift 1.5 is reading just below ‘LOW HOT’. This was checked according to the methods set out in the FSM, i.e., fluid temp between 70 - 80 C, engine running, and gear in ‘P’.

I need to add the appropriate amount to get it to ‘FULL HOT’, which is about .4L. Now, does it matter if I do this when the car is cold and not running? Or does it need to be topped off when at operating temp and idling in ‘P’?

In your own wording, the "level" must be checked when hot. You can add fluid at any time, hot or cold. To measure the level accurately it must be at a certain temperature.

the question I have have is, in your owners manual does it tell you how much to add if the reading is on “low hot”?

Because you want to be careful not to overfill the thing...it could do a few things...boil up and out the vent tube, or form air bubbles in the fluid (aerate).

Not to complicate things, but how long has the fluid been in service? Or, how many miles on the vehicle?

I ask because you may be looking at a fluid level which was correctly filled a while back. In other words, your "LOW HOT" reading may be the result of long service.

It might be time to fully service (replace, possibly with filter) the fluid. Top it up for now but think long term ownership.

Best of luck

the question I have have is, in your owners manual does it tell you how much to add if the reading is on “low hot”?

Because you want to be careful not to overfill the thing...it could do a few things...boil up and out the vent tube, or form air bubbles in the fluid (aerate).
The Suzuki FSM states approx .4L to get it from 'LOW HOT' to 'FULL HOT'. I'll take it slow and add .2L to see where it's at.

Not to complicate things, but how long has the fluid been in service? Or, how many miles on the vehicle?

I ask because you may be looking at a fluid level which was correctly filled a while back. In other words, your "LOW HOT" reading may be the result of long service.

It might be time to fully service (replace, possibly with filter) the fluid. Top it up for now but think long term ownership.

Best of luck
60k miles on the clock, and it's incredibly smooth. The M15A is wee but a gem of an engine. Thank you for the advice. I've ordered a new filter and plan on doing a complete transmission service. I just wanted to make sure the ATF was at the correct level before I did anything.

Back