Adding AC Back to my 2000 Cherokee

So this is the first summer with my Forester where I've had working AC (knock on wood). I kinda missed having a vehicle with AC! We were on a trip last year with the Jeep in the rocks and it was pushing 130 or 140 inside. Unbearable! The engine was right at 210 but I had to get out and cool down!

The Cherokee hasn't had AC since January of 2017. The clutch failed pretty hardcore, threw the belt and somehow ruined the end of the compressor shaft. The refrigerant was extracted and I pulled off the compressor and ran with a bypass pulley. When it had AC, it was an ice box!

I had no intention of running AC in the thing ever again so I just left the lines dangling , unhooked.

If possible, I'd like to avoid a dash pull. I picked up a new/used working compressor last weekend. I am thinking of throwing it on and hooking it up to see if I can still pull a vacuum on it. If I can , what would you all recommend replacing?

I'm thinking:
- Dryer
- Condenser
- Lines
- O-rings

Would I be able to get away with just a new Dryer if everything else holds a vacuum?

Would really like to avoid a dash pull to replace the evaporator.

Thanks!

Last edited:
I’d throw the compressor and a new dryer on it and nothing else.

My Jeep’s compressor clutch failed a few years ago, had my mechanic just replace the dryer and compressor. Still have original hoses and condenser and it works great.

Do you have the vacuum pump and hoses or are you going to do the loan a tool for those? You may need some Pag oil once to are ready to recharge it.

Do you have the vacuum pump and hoses or are you going to do the loan a tool for those? You may need some Pag oil once to are ready to recharge it.

With the chronic AC problems on my Forester, I'll definitely get good use out of the manifold gauges. I'm just going to buy that. I have an electric vacuum pump.

I have a few cans of PAG oil so I will measure / add as needed.

aunts 99 cherokee air died years ago, honest local service guy noted likely a lot of rattles + squeeks after the PITA job, shes older + usually cold so she skipped it!! at least DIY will save $$$$ + carefully doing a DIY make less rattles, good luck!!

If the clutch was the only thing to grenade and not the compressor, You probably can get away with just replacing the compressor and dryer. I would also replace any O-rings at any hose connections you took apart. If it holds vacuum then you should be good to go to recharge. You also need to figure out how much oil your system requires and add at least a couple of ounces to both the compressor and dryer each if not more. A lot of systems require around 8 ounces or so.

Well might have some time this weekend so maybe I'll throw it together and see if I can get a vacuum. If I get a vacuum on it keeps I'll pick up a dryer!

aunts 99 cherokee air died years ago, honest local service guy noted likely a lot of rattles + squeeks after the PITA job, shes older + usually cold so she skipped it!! at least DIY will save $$$$ + carefully doing a DIY make less rattles, good luck!!

This Jeep has lived a very hard life. I don't think it's possible to make the interior rattle more :D

Back