Acura Crankshaft/Bearing Recall

Taking a shot in the dark here, as there seems to be a lot of knowledgable people on this board.

Acura is recalling thousands of MDX's due to crank issues "During engine manufacturing, some crankshafts may have been built with improper connecting rod journal dimensions, resulting in increased friction between the journals and their bearings. This increased friction could lead to accelerated engine deterioration and possible failure due to a lack of lubrication and excessive heat.”
This is from Acura

What I am wondering is what exactly is the issue? The above to me is "for the masses" but for those who know engines need to know exactly what is wrong with the crank.

Some Acura/Honda techs might not answer, and some might not even know but by now some of the techs must know the answer to the question - i.e. whether the crank was inadvertently ground over or under and therefore not well matched to the bearings or if it really was ground 'out of round' and if so, how new bearings are going to help.

Thanks

I can only speculate. If this truly is the problem, they likely have bearings made specially for this campaign to give the proper clearance.

See if there is a range of Vin's associated with this recall. If not I'd have them do it on their money.

Sounds like crankshaft rod bearing journals were not made flat/tound, they have a crown or are out of round (on engines made at the E. Liberty, OH plant), and damage rod bearings until they fail, launch metal, spin the bearing, throw a rod. Potentially an H/K Theta 2.4 event… Bad news is, Honda wants to do short blocks as a repair-we all know what happens to all the metal when bearing damage occurs-it goes EVERYWHERE!

Goes to show you fancy CNC and such doesn't always mean accurate. You'd think they would at least QC or check every 10th part that comes off the machine.

If all they’re replacing is the rod bearings, it sounds more like the clearances weren’t sufficient, and the fix will be to install bearings with larger clearances. IMO if an engine in this group hasn’t started showing metal and/or self-destructed already after potentially 8 years, it’s likely not going to.

Sounds like crankshaft rod bearing journals were not made flat/tound, they have a crown or are out of round (on engines made at the E. Liberty, OH plant), and damage rod bearings until they fail, launch metal, spin the bearing, throw a rod. Potentially an H/K Theta 2.4 event… Bad news is, Honda wants to do short blocks as a repair-we all know what happens to all the metal when bearing damage occurs-it goes EVERYWHERE!
I would expect a full long block if there had been a failure involved.

I read about it recently on an MDX forum from a member that had his bearings replaced. He had a number of different replacement bearings installed...apparently they will size each one appropriately to compensate for the shaft issues 😯

My 2020 MDX was running perfectly. The dealer inspection revealed I NEED A NEW CRANKSHAFT at 37K miles. I reviewed the instructions and it is hard to believe any dealer can correctly do this repair. I am the first car they found needing this work. Fortunately, it is a leased vehicle and back it goes in July! When the repair hits CarFax, the value will plummet so I'm not going to purchase the car. They should really replace this with a long block, or buy back the car.
Read this and you will be very unhappy about the dealer doing the work.

http://www.urvi.net/forumfiles/SB/B24-001.PDF

I read about it recently on an MDX forum from a member that had his bearings replaced. He had a number of different replacement bearings installed...apparently they will size each one appropriately to compensate for the shaft issues 😯

What if they pick the wrong size? How long will the engine last? What will the warranty be on repaired vehicles if they are out of the original warranty?

Seems like a lot to put on a dealer tech vs replacing the whole engine.

The tech doesn't make any decision. The procedure is to remove the bearings and photograph them in a special photo box and send the digital photo to corporate. They decide what is necessary to do so the tech follows instructions. None of which inspires confidence that the repair is correct, or durable. Check out the file I linked to above. Only 128 pages of instructions!

Insight and commentary from a dealer tech that's got one apart

I don't like it, I'm almost inclined to say I prefer the H/K model of drop shipping a long or short block
American Honda's warranty times and service departments are far from the best in my experience 😔

Last edited:
Back