Accord OCI

Status
Not open for further replies.

DR

My mom recently got an accord V6 and I'm in charge of changing the oil and such. The owners manual says "severe" service is 3750 miles or 6 months. She makes short trips to work and doesn't get that many miles on it during a 6 month period. I put M1 0w-20 and a M1 oil filter on a few months back. Should that be okay given the small amount of miles driven and the length of the OCI? I put about 60+ highway miles on my car daily with my commute to work and school, so I'm not used to changing a cars oil so infrequently, even with the extended OCI I use mileage-wise. Just thought I'd get some more opinions.

I think by using a premium synthetic oil you can expect to get the normal OCI even with severe service. Not sure what the Honda manual says for regular service but just stick to the time interval if the miles are not met.

While the car's under warranty, I'd stick with the severe service mileage recommendation in the owner's manual. Your mother doesn't need hassles (and neither do you
rolleyes.gif
). Honda notes in their owner's manuals that the use of synthetic motor oil is acceptable, but does NOT recognize extended oil drain intervals in either normal or severe service regardless of type of motor oil used. DIY OCs are OK, though - just note in a log kept in the glove compartment the date and mileage of the oil changes and keep the receipts for the oil and the filters as further evidence of consistent appropriate and timely routine maintenance.

3750 for severe service
7500 for normal use.

if it's a new honda v6, i believe it's 10K normal, 5k severe?

someone correct me if i'm wrong.

I would use dino at the severe cycle. That's the way it's being used with short trips and low miles in 6 mo. I would change at 3750 or 6 mo. due to some probable fuel dilution and to mantain the warranty. Extended drains are fine if you can keep the oil in good shape and there's only one way to be sure it is without a UOA. Change it more often.

quote:

Originally posted by Ray H:
Honda notes in their owner's manuals that the use of synthetic motor oil is acceptable, but does NOT recognize extended oil drain intervals in either normal or severe service regardless of type of motor oil used.

Oh yeah? When did they start doing that?

quote:

Originally posted by seotaji:
3750 for severe service
7500 for normal use.

if it's a new honda v6, i believe it's 10K normal, 5k severe?

someone correct me if i'm wrong.

10K/5K OCI are for the 4 cylinder, 7.5K/3.75K OCI are for the V6.

I've got an '02 V6 (6th gen). If yours is an '03 or newer, it's called the 7th gen Accord. Now, as for oil. I ran the 5W-20 Pennzoil that the dealer uses for most of the 25K my car has on it. I also tried Mobil-1 5W-30 and Amsoil 5W-30. For 3K OCI's (or even 3750), honestly I'd just use ne of the better 5W-20's (like the ExxonMobil stuff) or the Pennzoil. Since it's mostly short trips (like the first 23K of my car was when my wife drove it), you might consider Mobil-1 0W-20 (which I've heard has been replaced by Mobil-1 5W-20), or Amosil's 5W-20.

You could also consider running one of the better 5W-30's, but the 20 weight oils are showing very good numbers. One of these days I'll take a look at what Havoline 5W-30 looks like in mine, if I don't try Mobil or Amsoil's 20 weight oil.

I'd go 10,000 miles or one year w/ Mobil 1, whichever comes first ....You can change that silly lawnmower sized oil filter after six months if it makes you feel better.

TS

Just to clarify, what year is this recently acquired V6? Just b/c she recently got one doesn't mean it was new (although I definitely assume it is).

For a new Accord v6 I have heard you change out the oil at less than 1k miles and keep using a Dino 5W-20 oil up to the schedule. I hope this helps.

BTW,
Great site and forum!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back