Accidental short synth OCI

Status
Not open for further replies.
I called my daughter today to tell her she should check her oil in her 1999 Accord after she went on a 900 mile trip over the weekend. She said she didn't need to check it since she had it changed right before the trip.

Last time I saw the car before she drove home to NJ, I filled it with BMW Mini Syth 5W30 I bought here on the classifieds, and a PureOne filter. That fill had 2500 miles on it.

So now she has a generic filter and bulk oil from a Shell station a block from her house for $40.

She got confused about when we talked about an oil change before her trip to Missouri from NJ last fall. I wish she'd have called me to ask!

Just be thankful that your daughter even thinks about getting her oil changed.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: 67Customs
wink.gif

This...

But she obviously went about it all wrong
spankme2.gif

Anything from shell cant be too bad
27.gif
as long as its the right weight/ spec

But the el cheapo quaker state filter could be a concern on an assumed mini Cooper??? Id swap the filter out with a wix or Bosch distance +. My 2 cents.

+1 Mistakes happen..... At least you can be thankful and grateful that your daughter is responsible....you have schooled her well before taking a long trip.

Originally Posted By: 67Customs
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: ledslinger
No Jeffy D, it's a 1999 Accord that HAD! BMW Mini oil in it.

Sorry , just assumed....
blush.gif

Yes she's a good girl who takes good care of everything. She's got second in her age group in a big city marathon too!

Originally Posted By: Jeffy_D
Anything from shell cant be too bad
27.gif
as long as its the right weight/ spec

But the el cheapo quaker state filter could be a concern on an assumed mini Cooper??? Id swap the filter out with a wix or Bosch distance +. My 2 cents.
QS filters are made by Purolator, they're similar to the Classic, no worries there.

I called my daughter today to tell her she should check her oil in her 1999 Accord after she went on a 900 mile trip over the weekend. She said she didn't need to check it since she had it changed right before the trip.

Last time I saw the car before she drove home to NJ, I filled it with BMW Mini Syth 5W30 I bought here on the classifieds, and a PureOne filter. That fill had 2500 miles on it.

So now she has a generic filter and bulk oil from a Shell station a block from her house for $40.

She got confused about when we talked about an oil change before her trip to Missouri from NJ last fall. I wish she'd have called me to ask!

She's lucky she got out of there for only 40 bucks. I'm surprised they didn't stick it to her.

When I change someone else's oil, the top driver side corner of the windshield glass gets an oil change sticker / clingy.

You can buy them cheap or get them for free at some auto part stores. Had the daughter seen one and read it, then she avoids the $40 oil change.

So she has a decent filter and, odds are, a decent oil with close to (by now) 1000 miles on it. She meant well. Honestly, I wouldn't worry about it. If it was me, I'd let it run out it's 3 to 5k OCI, then put the preferred stuff back in.

Originally Posted By: Triple_Se7en

When I change someone else's oil, the top driver side corner of the windshield glass gets an oil change sticker / clingy.

You can buy them cheap or get them for free at some auto part stores. Had the daughter seen one and read it, then she avoids the $40 oil change.

She looked at the info and thought a normal interval was 3K. I never told her that. She did remember I told her she was a short interval due to short trips, that's why she did the 2500.

If she wants to be independent and take care of things without asking me, I wish she'd start with paying for her cell phone and car insurance.

Originally Posted By: chainblu
So she has a decent filter and, odds are, a decent oil with close to (by now) 1000 miles on it. She meant well. Honestly, I wouldn't worry about it. If it was me, I'd let it run out it's 3 to 5k OCI, then put the preferred stuff back in.

I work hard to take care of her car when she comes home, that may be why the shop that did the oil change didn't try to sell her anything else. I may not see the car again for a couple of years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back