AC Woes

Problem solved! Turns out I had air in my system. I was pretty sure it had to be non-condensibles or a faulty expansion valve. Nothing else explained the symptoms. I had a very slow leak from my high side schrader valve. Has been 13+/- years since I replaced my condenser. I assume it has been leaking since then. I believe compressor eventually started sucking air. Adding refrigerant did not and could not solve the problem. It did increase system pressure to the point low side pressure stabilized but high side was too high and sight glass was foamy. Evacuating and weighing in the correct charge gave me correct pressure and mostly clear sight glass.

Eric the Car Guy always burps schrader valves to clear debris and help them seat. I did this and it appeared to stop the high side leak. Thanks to all for your help.

Oh, I do have a fair amount of play in my magnetic clutch idler bearing but the noise went away after I evacuated and recharged. At this point I hope the clutch outlasts me or the car, whichever goes first.

Last edited:
Did the low side pressure drop below air pressure? Otherwise the air can't possibly enter the system and has been there since the system was opened last.

Originally Posted by Jetronic
Did the low side pressure drop below air pressure? Otherwise the air can't possibly enter the system and has been there since the system was opened last.

Yeah, it was pulling vacuum. What I forgot to mention and may have been a contributor was my yellow charge hose came loose at the manifold while I was trying to add refrigerant. I tried one of those cheesy plastic adaptors for self-sealing cans and I was trying to keep it from leaking while shaking the can. All of this loosened the fitting. It was a real cluster f$$k. I got a proper valve which solved that problem.

I know my system was good when I replaced the condenser 13 years ago. It was my first ac job and I was totally anal about it. I had the vacuum pump on it for several hours and waited overnight to ensure I still had full vacuum before charging. AC worked great for well over a decade.

Last edited:
Back