AC Delco "Ultraguard" and "Duraguard"

Status
Not open for further replies.
I recently noticed that some of my PF35ls are labeled as "Duraguard" and some are labeled as "Ultraguard".

They all carry the same part number on the box, and physical wise, appear 100% identical and seemingly weigh the same. The only difference is the sticker on the filters, labeled as "Ultraguard" or "Duraguard".

I took the time to do a search and could not find such a topic. I did find that "Ultraguard" was an AC Delco black filter. All of these are the standard blue filter cartridges.

Pictures:

http://www.tbirdheritage.com/misc/ultraguard.jpg
http://www.tbirdheritage.com/misc/duraguard.jpg

Any information or knowledge?

Thanks.

Both boxes state "Made in the U.S.A".

I thought "Ultraguard", atleast the ones that were found in the black cartridge, had synthetic filter?

Duraguard is the regular run of the mill filter.

Ultraguard was/is a premium filter with synthetic media. Most all have been discontinued because of low sales volume (read too high priced for most) although they continue to have a few popular models (UPF46) available such as those that fit hi-perf GM engines such as the LS1 and LS2.

That was my understanding. Just odd that these filters are all PF35Ls, carry the same part number, weigh the same, and appear the same (sans for a slightly different sticker design), yet some are ultraguard and some are duraguard. The end caps are exactly the same, and what can be seen inside is the same (short of tearing them apart). They are the same price, too.

The thing is, as you may know, the PF35L was not just a standard filter like it's sister the PF35. The PF35L (which is being discussed here) had a synthetic filter element instead of the standard paper element.

With all of GM's changes to the oil filters, there was some rumor that the PF35L changed and was downgraded, but still retained the same price.

That's why I wonder if the "ultraguard" and "duraguard" may be valid. Maybe it's old and new stock? Maybe the "ultraguard" has the synthetic media, like the original PF35Ls had before GM changed some of their filters?

I had read a few mentions about counterfeit filters, but the link in such posts was dead.

These filters were bought from a national retail store, and the boxes are 100% the same.

One final question, if these are "counterfeit" filters (the "ultraguard" ones), does that make them unsafe to even use?

I will check with a friend who is a AC Delco wholesaler and see what he knows about the PF35L.

I checked the part number 25013454 with a online GM dealer and here is the price returned.

GM PART # 25013454
CATEGORY: Oil Filters
PACK QTY: 12
GM LIST: $13.79
OUR PRICE: $8.26

A quick google search found this

quote:

Just a warning to the newbies and a reminder to the oldies, the PF35L's you're seeing/buying may be the "bogus" variety that Delco is foisting off on an unsuspecting public. I did some fact-finding last year after Chris Chow noticed that the PF35L's I forwarded to him (from Dal at Lambert Buick) didn't match the one he already had. The new filters were much lighter and generally less sturdy appearing, and didn't have the readily visible spot welds on the top.

Delco swears that the filtering ability of the "new" PF35Ls is just as good as the originals, but I don't think they're being entirely honest with us.

This all happened because Delco switched to an "offshore" plant for the filters. They are taking the product from this new source that comes the closest to the PF35L specs and labeling it as a PF35L. Caveat emptor.

Jeff

That warning is what started me on this, and is also why I wonder if the ultra and dura is a sign between the two. However, physically, I see no difference. One of my PF35Ls (which is marked as a "ultraguard") is 2-3 years old. Some I got from last year are marked as "duraguard" and ones I bought this year are marked as "ultraguard".

I would appreciate information you can find.

I paid 9.99 for each of them. If they are just plain filters now, I guess it might be time to explore other filters if they no longer are synthetic media that they once were.

The 2 images you linked are the very same filter, the GM part number is the same and unless it says UPF35, its a duraguard.

All ultraguard should be prefixed with UPF and carry a different GM part number, if the U is not there its not a ultraguard.

fyi
AC Delco has had problems with conterfeit parts bearing their logo and name.

Just read this thread...

AC Delco -North America--gets their filters from Champion Labs. There is no "offshore" plant.

The Ultraguard is only offered in, I believe, 2 part numbers.

I know that counterfitting outside the US happens. And AC Delco have that problem in Asia.

AC Delco in Asia is a full service auto garage. Not just a brand in your local parts store or GM dealer. Been there, seen them...

Because AC Delco is a well known Worldwide name it is not surprising that they have counterfitting problems with filters.

Look for the Made In the USA label and look for the stamp on the backplate that Champ uses to distinguish the threads. Then you know it is a genuine product. Duraguard or Ultraguard.

They all have the Made in USA label. On the thread side, they are 100% identical, down to the "D" (or is it "G" - I can't recall) stamp in the metal plate.

The sticker on the filter is the only difference, and it is a minor one. Aside from the Ultra and Dura designation, the Dura has 2 other languages. It can be seen in the picture provided above.

It may be a labelling change then. With Ultraguard look down the center tube area..you should be able to distinguish between a buff colored paper media and a wire wrapped "white" synthetic.

Been a while since i've looked at one..as I drive a Ford but did use the AC Ultraguard on it until AC discontinued them..
wink.gif

Looking at both the Ultra and Dura, from what can be seen through the metal screen, both filters are bright white with a black screen covering the filter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back