AC Delco PF63 Cut Open

AC Delco PF63 of GM 6.6l gas. Right at 5k miles on filter, approximately 15k on vehicle. I think that these are hard to beat for the price ( I know that there is a lot of hate for the e-core filters, but I don’t mind them at all. Any early issues have been long since resolved. I used to be a wix fan boy, but since they are no longer made in USA (WL10255 is made in Mexico) and they cost twice as much, I will be using these PF63’s for the foreseeable future.

Attachments

• AE6B81C6-4BB5-4DDC-8B3B-E25DC522E0C7.jpeg
    AE6B81C6-4BB5-4DDC-8B3B-E25DC522E0C7.jpeg
    261.5 KB · Views: 490
  • 9AB9B851-C7F3-4CF7-A059-650F7D25A035.jpeg
    9AB9B851-C7F3-4CF7-A059-650F7D25A035.jpeg
    143.8 KB · Views: 488
  • C6BEA412-2978-41A8-A778-4E96A4153ED3.jpeg
    C6BEA412-2978-41A8-A778-4E96A4153ED3.jpeg
    144.2 KB · Views: 487
Agree with what you said. Thanks for also posting the price you paid on Rock Auto. I will have to go on their site and price filters more often.

That RA price is great! Looks like a solid filter. Interesting that the magnets didn't catch anything that can be seen with such a new motor breaking in still. Thanks

That RA price is great! Looks like a solid filter. Interesting that the magnets didn't catch anything that can be seen with such a new motor breaking in still. Thanks
The magnets caught just enough to see while the magnets were still on the can. It was still a negligible amount in my opinion. I used to get way more material off of the drain plug in my 04 Silverado that had over 350k miles on it.

Fair warning I ordered a 6 from RA and they shipped in bulk no box, banged around in the shipping box to the point the blue paint chipped off and was in and around the filter. I would only buy if you were considering the entire case, then I would imagine they would ship the entire bulk box. Otherwise purchase the individually boxed filters.

The magnets caught just enough to see while the magnets were still on the can. It was still a negligible amount in my opinion. I used to get way more material off of the drain plug in my 04 Silverado that had over 350k miles on it.
What oil are you using in that engine? Do you also have a magnetic drain plug in it?

Got it, I would imagine the wear rate to be much higher on that 350k Silverado for sure. Thanks

Fair warning I ordered a 6 from RA and they shipped in bulk no box, banged around in the shipping box to the point the blue paint chipped off and was in and around the filter. I would only buy if you were considering the entire case, then I would imagine they would ship the entire bulk box. Otherwise purchase the individually boxed filters.
Thanks..for mentioning…..

AC Delco PF63 of GM 6.6l gas. Right at 5k miles on filter, approximately 15k on vehicle. I think that these are hard to beat for the price ( I know that there is a lot of hate for the e-core filters, but I don’t mind them at all. Any early issues have been long since resolved. I used to be a wix fan boy, but since they are no longer made in USA (WL10255 is made in Mexico) and they cost twice as much, I will be using these PF63’s for the foreseeable future.
The Auto Extra 10255’s are filth. Made in Mexico and always tear. See my cut and posts in them.

What oil and filter went back in and on?

I Thank You

Yes this must be new because I order a lot of filters off RA and just got Mopar filters loose shipped - they were each wrapped up so they were in good condition but I still much rather have a box to store them in while they wait for use. The Champ XL filters and cannister filters I ordered were still shipped in boxes

These PF63 filters are on RockAuto and OReilley's and state that they have polyester media. This would be a revelation because OP shows a cellulose/synthetic blend. RockAuto is now saying that they are Original Equipment which flies in the face that the "professional" line has always been ACDelco aftermarket. I always thought that the UPF63R "Gold" was original. IDK. What I do know is this the U filter is much beefier than the blue and costs twice as much. I use that one, not because I love paying more but because this:
Hello all. My wife has a 2020 GMC Acadia Denali with 3.6. It came with a AC Delco PF64 Oil Filter. Manual says replacement is UPF63r. I have a supply of PF63E filters I use for my 2015 Impala 3.6. Can I use the PF63E filters on the Acadia without doing damage? Thanks in Advance - salter.
(I realize that the OP does not have a 3.6)

These PF63 filters are on RockAuto and OReilley's and state that they have polyester media. This would be a revelation because OP shows a cellulose/synthetic blend. RockAuto is now saying that they are Original Equipment which flies in the face that the "professional" line has always been ACDelco aftermarket. I always thought that the UPF63R "Gold" was original. IDK. What I do know is this the U filter is much beefier than the blue and costs twice as much. I use that one, not because I love paying more but because this:

(I realize that the OP does not have a 3.6)
Actually, I do have a 3.6 in my wife’s 2020 traverse (lol). Her manual calls for the PF63. It’s quite convenient that both vehicles take the same oil and filters. I don’t know why a 2020 GMC and 2020 Chevy 3.6 would be any different.

If you poke around this site you will find GM bulletins recommending both so I think the specs are probably close enough. But I had a nasty experience when one of the blue ones collapsed (on my Acacia) while using a band-type filter wrench. That’s mainly why I buy UPF63R. But if I were using the PF63(e) I would buy an end cap wrench. I’m really curious about the media difference because that would seem to indicate they want better flow.

I’m really curious about the media difference because that would seem to indicate they want better flow.
Flow will be the same, the reason is: positive displacement oil pump.

I’ve still got about 5 original PF63’s in the basement, and I just bought some new WIX XPs. Since the OLM has never let us go more than 5k except once, it likely doesn’t matter that much what filter we use on ours.

Again on our 2011, GM went to this filter from the PF48, and seemed to disregard the fact that this obstructs the low side port to charge the AC. The idea likely is how many times does a car need to have its AC recharged. Well, never. Unless it’s GM (Ours failed at 29k under warranty and I did a recharge 2 years ago I believe). 😂

Back