AC Delco parts made in China

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone else notice that almost every AC Delco part is made in China now? Same with a lot of Delphi parts too. I bought a AC Delco compressor because the Delphi one I bought 3 years already failed. Also was made in China. Opened the Delco box & it had a big made in China sticker on it. Returned the Chinese Delco & ordered a 4 Seasons compressor from RockAuto. Someone told me the 4 Season ones are made in Texas.

Only AC Delco part built here was the orifice tube. Even the accumulator was made in China.

Are you still correlating Made in China and bad quality?

Made in USA doesn't mean much anymore IMO, the Chinese can build quality parts too.

Might be better than the guys who make minimum wage grinding down parts here.

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
Are you still correlating Made in China and bad quality?

Made in USA doesn't mean much anymore IMO, the Chinese can build quality parts too.

Might be better than the guys who make minimum wage grinding down parts here.

I remember a few years back, someone compared brake rotors made in China for GM and found them excellent, but they weren't cheap. Cheaper than something made in the US, but not cheaply made. It will take China 3 generations or more to shake off this reputation for cheapness/bad quality.

Last edited:
A whole lot of AC Delco, made in China.

https%3A%2F%2Fblogs-images.forbes.com%2Fkelleybluebook%2Ffiles%2F2017%2F01%2FBuick-Envision_08.jpg

You quite possibly returned a much better unit. You know those minimum wage assembly workers in Texas putting the compressors together are using the parts shipped from the same plant in China?
This is the real skinny, Sanden Japan opened a brand new state of the art factory in China together with Hella and Behr. They produce compressors in house using their own properly trained workers and a high level of QC, even the packing is tops.

Workers who work for these factories are much better paid and the jobs they hold are coveted, they work hard and pay a lot of attention to QC, fit and finish.
The problem as it exist is not Chinese goods quality when produced by brand names in their country, its the outsourcing.
There is a mega difference in a product being made by a manufacturer in their own plant under their own name and one sourced for someone and relabelled.

Hey I am a Made in USA/Euro person but you cant be a dink and call good stuff trash when it isn't, some of this stuff is excellent.
I installed a SBH A/C compressor in a VW and it is without a doubt the quietest unit I have ever installed. It works every bit as good as OE and is even quieter, you don't even hear the clutch engage at idle but looking at it its engaged and cold air comes.

Car companies are investing heavily in the worlds largest and most profitable car market, they are building cars there from scratch so it only makes sense they produce the parts there.

Originally Posted By: mrsilv04

https%3A%2F%2Fblogs-images.forbes.com%2Fkelleybluebook%2Ffiles%2F2017%2F01%2FBuick-Envision_08.jpg

Chevy Trax is made in China too, probably the same car.

Chevy Trax is made in China for the Chinese market.

What is wrong with wanting to buy parts Made in the USA? I do not remember seeing the OP saying the part was [censored], just not made where he would prefer it be made. Attitudes like the ones in this thread are why so many parts are not made here anymore.

What happened in Japan in 1970, started in 1990 in China. Stuff made in Japan used to be looked down upon in the late 60's. By the 1980's Japanese made products were considered premium. Will it get that way in China? Maybe not, but there is one thing for sure: those who are holding on to the thought that products made in China are junk are going to be in the old school.
The world is changing quickly.

People supporting the hollowing out of this country. Our country used to make all kinds of things. We used to have a stronger middle income population. The slow widdling away of production from this country to other places has resulted in a whole lot of good paying positions leaving as well. Most "jobs" created in the last number of years pay $7-$13 an hour. Which is what some people call beer money.

There are certainly exceptions to this trend.. Jobs that pay well have come here from other places. Some manufacturers have decided to keep some production here as well. We just need a lot more of this to happen.

The reason I support East Penn is due to them making a very good product first and foremost. But also the fact it is made here is a part of it has well.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Trav
You quite possibly returned a much better unit. You know those minimum wage assembly workers in Texas putting the compressors together are using the parts shipped from the same plant in China?
This is the real skinny, Sanden Japan opened a brand new state of the art factory in China together with Hella and Behr. They produce compressors in house using their own properly trained workers and a high level of QC, even the packing is tops.

Workers who work for these factories are much better paid and the jobs they hold are coveted, they work hard and pay a lot of attention to QC, fit and finish.
The problem as it exist is not Chinese goods quality when produced by brand names in their country, its the outsourcing.
There is a mega difference in a product being made by a manufacturer in their own plant under their own name and one sourced for someone and relabelled.

Hey I am a Made in USA/Euro person but you cant be a dink and call good stuff trash when it isn't, some of this stuff is excellent.
I installed a SBH A/C compressor in a VW and it is without a doubt the quietest unit I have ever installed. It works every bit as good as OE and is even quieter, you don't even hear the clutch engage at idle but looking at it its engaged and cold air comes.

Car companies are investing heavily in the worlds largest and most profitable car market, they are building cars there from scratch so it only makes sense they produce the parts there.

The 4 Seasons compressor is nice & quiet. The Delphi compressor that failed was made in China & was noisy the entire 3 years it lasted. And Delphi parts are usually high quality. It blew ice cold so I just put up with it. I’m not saying Chinese parts are bad, just prefer to buy American if possible.

Really don't care as long I can still buy brand new. The classic Saginaw power steering pumps can still be bought brand new although made in China now.

Originally Posted By: postjeeprcr

Chevy Trax is made in China for the Chinese market.

What is wrong with wanting to buy parts Made in the USA? I do not remember seeing the OP saying the part was [censored], just not made where he would prefer it be made. Attitudes like the ones in this thread are why so many parts are not made here anymore.

To clarify, made in USA really means assembled in USA these days. As Trav alluded to, many if not all of the parts come from overseas and are assembled here.

To determine quality you cannot look at the point of origin any longer.

Originally Posted By: PimTac
To clarify, made in USA really means assembled in USA these days. As Trav alluded to, many if not all of the parts come from overseas and are assembled here.

Completely wrong, there are still companies producing things 100% in the USA. Although eastern nations like Taiwan have caught up to the US quality wise, the west still makes the best stuff. Made in USA 90% of the time means good for professional use, China has a horrible reputation for low quality that they will have a much harder time shaking than Japan. Japan is a western country!

Originally Posted By: maxdustington

Completely wrong, there are still companies producing things 100% in the USA. Although eastern nations like Taiwan have caught up to the US quality wise, the west still makes the best stuff. Made in USA 90% of the time means good for professional use, China has a horrible reputation for low quality that they will have a much harder time shaking than Japan. Japan is a western country!

Those companies that produce 100% American products (every part made in America and assembled in America) are far and few between.

Calling Japan a western country is totally false. You are equating production quality with culture. It doesn’t work that way.

Those companies that produce 100% American products (every part made in America and assembled in America) are far and few between.

Calling Japan a western country is totally false. You are equating production quality with culture. It doesn’t work that way.

I do not think the average person really trusts China because of their culture. I think that spills over into the products they make.

Japan is a total western country by the way that has morals that are a lot closer to the US than China. I think that has a lot to do with how people view their products.

I'll just focus my post on the quality aspect and leave the ideology part alone.

If the parts from China is OEM and the parts from the US is aftermarket, I'd trust the Chinese, because the OEM QA would most likely rejected junk that the American aftermarket tolerate (Cardone, I'm looking at you). AC Delco may not even be OEM anymore, as is Delphi, they are now just "brands" that sources from all over the world like Beck Arnley.

I'd personally check on the owner's forum on the internet to see who has good and bad experience with OEM only or some aftermarket brand, and buy from that word of mouth.

“....Japan is a total western country by the way that has morals that are a lot closer to the US than China. I think that has a lot to do with how people view their products....”

You might be confusing morals with Advanced society. When it comes to morals, Japan moves to the top with their very low crime, hospitable society and hard working people. The US has hard working people but crime is very high and hospitality depends on where you are. Each time I go to Japan I am always impressed by the society in general.

Case in point: traveling through Japan’s airports I was treated with respect and dignity. I had no worries of crime or danger. Arrived in Seattle and within 10 minutes we witnessed a fight at the airport and people heading for cover. I can walk in central Tokyo at night with no fear. At night in downtown Seattle or anywhere in the metro for that matter is not recommended. Dread zones abound b

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back