AC Compressor designed to not cycle on/off

Status
Not open for further replies.
The compressor in my I35 doesn't click on/off like most compressors do. Once on, it stays running. Apparently, it's just the way these Calsonic Kansei compressors are designed. The Denso units, OTH, in my Hondas are very apparent when they cycle.

Anyone know what's so special about Calsonic units that they don't cycle? The car has auto climate control, BTW. I really like the AC's performance. The black interior cools down within minutes, even after the car's been sitting in a hot parking lot for a while.

Last edited:
It's variable displacement. The compressor continues to spin but slows down the pumping rate when full BTU capacity is not required. Earlier units used internal control via the suction port pressure, but many cars now have electronic control via a solenoid on the compressor.

My $9999 saturn had a CCOT compressor. The "beauty" of it is how it can ramp up the cooling power (drag) at idle. The downfall is how being cool comes first, and accellerating after a red light comes second.
wink.gif

Your nissan probably has more pep so it's not as noticeable. I agree that on/off cycling is kinda goofy.

Originally Posted By: mk378
It's variable displacement. The compressor continues to spin but slows down the pumping rate when full BTU capacity is not required. Earlier units used internal control via the suction port pressure, but many cars now have electronic control via a solenoid on the compressor.

Some newer cars dont have a clutch! The compressor is connected directly to the belt. If the car is running the Compressor is turning. Kinda of a drag if your compressor locks up. Your stuck with no way to disconnect it from the belt. Atleast on more normal setup the compressor clutch will still allow you to drive.

Originally Posted By: Chris142

Some newer cars dont have a clutch! The compressor is connected directly to the belt. If the car is running the Compressor is turning. Kinda of a drag if your compressor locks up. Your stuck with no way to disconnect it from the belt. Atleast on more normal setup the compressor clutch will still allow you to drive.

Those should have a rubber bushing in the pulley which serves to shear away and let the pulley keep turning if the compressor internals seize. Problem there is that it can shear prematurely and shut down a good compressor.

+1. Sometimes has a swash plate or a controlled bypass valve. Our vw had that valve and it was the only thing that ever went wrong on it. A new $60 valve and we were set.

Our inverter type compressors on our split AC units at home work different but similar. It's all about how to vary duty of the compressor to the cooling load.

Wow, I haven't heard of this yet. Auto climate control taken to the extreme I guess. I would hope in a set like this they'd at least have a separate AC belt that you can remove or cut. Some cars these days do still have separate AC belts even with everything else driven by a single serpentine belt, which is nice.

I had a 1983 280zx that had a compressor that didn't cycle. I didn't realize Nissan was still doing this. Seems like a nice design for smoothness of operation.

If it's not pumping against any pressure there is very little power required to turn the pulley. One benefit is that you can always have some refrigerant and lubricant circulating to keep all the components and seals from rotting

Last edited:
I looked up your Infinity. You're not supposed to be using 0W-40.
31.gif

Quote:
2002 INFINITI I35 3.5L 6-cyl Engine Code VQ35DE
LUBRICANTS & FLUIDS:
Engine Oil
Grade 1......SL
Maximum Performance Signature Series 5W-30 Synthetic Motor Oil (ASLQT)
Performance Plus XL 5W-30 Synthetic Motor Oil (XLFQT)
Performance OE 5W-30 Synthetic Motor Oil (OEFQT) Above 0 F......10W-30
All TEMPS......5W-30 [1]

Those should have a rubber bushing in the pulley which serves to shear away and let the pulley keep turning if the compressor internals seize. Problem there is that it can shear prematurely and shut down a good compressor.
The Scion Xbox does not. If the Ac compressor locks up your done.

Ah, variable displacement...of course. I looked in the service manual and the specs page said that as well.

@Merkava_4- Yes, 5W30 is recommended but the manual says 40 wts can also be used. M1 0W40 and Nissan VQ35s appear to be a match made in heaven according to UOAs. If you feel so inclined, type in Nissan VQ35 oil issues on Google. What kind of BITOGer would I be if I didn't experiment with different types of oil?
grin.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: mclasser
@Merkava_4- Yes, 5W30 is recommended but the manual says 40 wts can also be used. M1 0W40 and Nissan VQ35s appear to be a match made in heaven according to UOAs. If you feel so inclined, type in Nissan VQ35 oil issues on Google. What kind of BITOGer would I be if I didn't experiment with different types of oil?
grin.gif

What if tig1 knew you were doing this? He'd be seriously upset.
grin.gif

Originally Posted By: rationull

Wow, I haven't heard of this yet. Auto climate control taken to the extreme I guess. I would hope in a set like this they'd at least have a separate AC belt that you can remove or cut. Some cars these days do still have separate AC belts even with everything else driven by a single serpentine belt, which is nice.

I had a 1983 280zx that had a compressor that didn't cycle. I didn't realize Nissan was still doing this. Seems like a nice design for smoothness of operation.

the pulley is designed to start freewheeling if the compressor locks up. the belt can just stay.

What you need to avoid though is running low on refrigerant, that ends up with freewheeling pulleys. I've seen them with rivets that break away.

Nowadays, they often have a clutch aswell as a variable swash plate.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Jetronic
Originally Posted By: rationull

the pulley is designed to start freewheeling if the compressor locks up. the belt can just stay.

What you need to avoid though is running low on refrigerant, that ends up with freewheeling pulleys. I've seen them with rivets that break away.

Nowadays, they often have a clutch aswell as a variable swash plate.
Ive seen them not shear.car got towed in because the compressor stopped the engine!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back