Ac bearing failure

Was driving my 97 Yukon and smelled something hot. Couldn’t figure out what it was so I kept driving. By the time I got where I was doing it was making a noise. Opened the hood and it sounded like either power steering pump or AC compressor. I touched the AC compressor and it was super hot.

I’m thinking of jus throwing a bypass pulley on it for now. Hopefully I can just shove the compressor somewhere and zip tie it so I don’t have to open the system.

Any idea why it failed now? I was using defroster for a while, which I’d never done before since owning this vehicle. But in theory turning off defroster and going back to regular air should have solved the problem? But it didn’t.

It is 26 years old with 285,000 miles according to your signature. That is how it failed.

You are going to need more than zip ties to hold that compressor up, your best bet would be to replace it, new ones with lifetime warranties aren't that bad. You will need a few other parts such as the orifice tube, drier, and best practice is to at minimum flush the system although some people choose not to as long as there is not metal shavings in the system.

Just replace the $20 bearing.

$160 for a new AC Compressor if you go with RockAuto. If you are going to replace the bearing you might as well replace the clutch which if you are going to replace both you might as well replace the compressor considering it on a 26 year old vehicle with 285,000 miles.

$160 for a new AC Compressor if you go with RockAuto. If you are going to replace the bearing you might as well replace the clutch which if you are going to replace both you might as well replace the compressor considering it on a 26 year old vehicle with 285,000 miles.
That's nonsense. Assuming the a/c worked fine, why replace it. And if it didn't, why waste money on a compressor you will never use. On a 26 year old vehicle with 285,000 miles you want to save as much money as possible. Just replaced the clutch alone on a 230K mile Honda compressor with cold air for $40. Felt no need to change a perfectly good OEM compressor with aftermarket Chinesium crap.

IMG_2939.JPG

That's nonsense. Assuming the a/c worked fine, why replace it. And if it didn't, why waste money on a compressor you will never use. On a 26 year old vehicle with 285,000 miles you want to save as much money as possible. Just replaced the clutch alone on a 230K mile Honda compressor with cold air for $40. Felt no need to change a perfectly good OEM compressor with aftermarket Chinesium crap.
What's nonsense is your understanding of the HT6 compressor, they are not known for long term reliability, this is why the replacements of the HT6 have a updated design.

Also what is nonsense is trying to save as much money as possible just because his truck is 26 years old and has 285,000 on it. It could be a very well maintained truck, that 5.7 if properly maintained likely has a lot of life left in it. Treat your vehicles right, don't do half assed jobs.

Also what is nonsense is trying to save as much money as possible just because his truck is 26 years old and has 285,000 on it. It could be a very well maintained truck, that 5.7 if properly maintained likely has a lot of life left in it. Treat your vehicles right, don't do half assed jobs.
OP was going to throw a bypass pulley on it for now or shove the compressor somewhere and zip tie it. He is the one trying to save money. His money his choice.

What's nonsense is your understanding of the HT6 compressor, they are not known for long term reliability, this is why the replacements of the HT6 have a updated design.

Thanks.

AC hasn't worked since I bought the vehicle, I do not know why and have not done any diag on the topic.

I purchased the Dorman AC Bypass Pulley for $40 and installed it in the parking lot just to get it going again. Problem solved for now.

When I removed the compressor there is no refrigerant in there anyway. A little oil that leaked out. Next month I will buy a complete AC service kit with a new compressor, will vacuum pump the system, and recharge it. Hope my AC works then :)

As far as compressors go, I would probably go with a new AC compresor, not remanufactured. I see there are "Sanden" and "HT6" compressors available. I've heard better things about Sanden ones but would a modern/new HT6 type compressor have the updated design to last longer?

Yes it's an old vehicle with a lot of imperfections but I like how it looks, it runs great, and I have a short commute which I usually use a different vehicle for (the Nissan Leaf) and only drive the Yukon if I'm going further than the degraded 20-mile battery in the Leaf can get me. So AC would be nice. But right now it's not a must and it can wait a month or two til I save up to fix it right. Currently the priority project is the sloppy steering, I have a new gearbox on the way, I'm not unwilling to spend money on it if needbe.

Thanks...

Well, the Dorman bypass pulley bearing started making a loud clicking noise after driving with it for about an hour, so I returned it and installed a new compressor. Vacuumed and recharged it and all is well now. New compressor is smooth and silent and AC blows nice and chilly :)

Attachments

• IMG_1823.jpg
    IMG_1823.jpg
    155.9 KB · Views: 7
Well, the Dorman bypass pulley bearing started making a loud clicking noise after driving with it for about an hour, so I returned it and installed a new compressor. Vacuumed and recharged it and all is well now. New compressor is smooth and silent and AC blows nice and chilly :)
Got to love Dorman quality.

Sad thing is they are one of the very few who manufacture the bypass pulleys.

What compressor did you choose?

I mean I’m glad they make them but if they only last one hour what’s the point haha.

Attachments

• F81A2B2C-6595-4635-86EC-66410D4B5951.jpg
    F81A2B2C-6595-4635-86EC-66410D4B5951.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 7
Back