abs is very sensitive

Status
Not open for further replies.
My abs is having a sensitivity problem. When I take corners or go over small bumps it activates and makes a noise until I come to a complete stop. I went to the Ford dealership and they said I would need a new abs core is this sound about right. Thank you

I also have this problem. i have a 1997 GMC Jimmy with the 4.3L V6. Most of the time my ABS light is on, which in this vehicle means the ABS is inactive or disabled. Every once in a while, or on real sharp turns, at a low low speed, like parking in a space, the ABS kicks on and it makes a crazy noise and grinds to a stop. ALso, on the road sometimes the ABS will become active and when i hit the brakes it feels like the brake pedal mechanism is filled with rocks and cant be depressed, this results in me not being able to stop unless i stand on the pedal! Anyone know WHAT needs to be replaced or fixed? I know nothing about ABS and often try to buy my cars without it (to avoid these kinds of problems..."less is more")

redwolf, An occasional problem on this vehicle is failure of the Front Wheel Speed Sensor. Failure of the Wheel Speed Sensor can cause false cycling of the ABS brakes. This problem can sometimes be repaired without replacing either of the front wheel speed sensors. Should a sensor require replacing, the cost of the Wheel Speed Sensor is $92.46 for parts and $65.00 for labor per side. All prices are estimates based on $65.00 per flat rate hour and do not include diagnostic time or any applicable sales tax.

And failure to fix the problem could cost more in the long run if it a 4x4. We had one at work that was let go and they could not replace the sensor and had to replace the hub also. Was a 4x4. Cost was over $1000 if I recall, that was back in 2002.

I'm not surprised it happens or when, either. In fact I am pretty sure I have a general idea why. So if I know why, Bosch and Delphi or whoever should and be able to come up with some algorithm or add a sensor to prevent it from happening.
I agree. It is a compromise.

subaru is having a similar issue with the bosch controlled abs. on occassion, when going over bumps and applying the brakes, the pedal will go to the floor and need to be re-pressed. my abs ('02 impreza) has a tendency to fire when braking over bumps, but i don't have the pedal drop to the floor.

quote:

Originally posted by tweeker43:
...on occassion, when going over bumps and applying the brakes, the pedal will go to the floor and need to be re-pressed...

Most every ABS car I have driven does that to some extent. Seems somebody should have fixed it by now. Has created some pretty hairy situations.

i'm not surprised that this happens myself, although i do find it a bit disconcerting. a lot of people on subaru boards seem to think that this problem is worse with the effected models.

personally, i find abs annoying under most conditions. there are times when it's useful, and times when it should just let you lock up the brakes.

i was shooting the breeze with my salescritter one time and mentioned that the abs sucked, and the look on his face went from shock to fear to poker in a hearbeat. he asked why, and i told him it was too sensitive. that was before i got my new tires, though. things are much better now.

my car is a 96 ford contour. The abs light comes almost everytime I drive. It starts thumping usually when I turn corners. I can here the abs sytem kick on. Does autozone check abs lights for codes.

"My ABS is having a sensitivity problem."

My suggestions:
1. Be considerate of the ABS's feelings at all times.
2. Count to "five Mississippi" before responding negatively to the ABS. Cool down first -- no knee-jerk criticism.
3. Find the positive in the ABS and compliment accordingly.
4. Always let the ABS know your appreciation of its efforts and contributions.

Good luck!

What type of tires do you have installed? If they are significantly harder or have lesser traction compared to the OEM rubber (or are of different size), you may be inducing a problem. The ABS and associated systems are probably calibrated to respond to the OEM tires and how they were expected to respond to low traction situations.

Not only that, but if you have really worn tires in the back/front and fresh tires on the oposite side, a AWD or 4x4 vehicle will always think its slipping, and it will make the ABS much more sensitive. Same effect with a larger set of tires in the back or front, the larger one spins slower then the smaller or warm one, making the system believe its slipping.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back