About to try out Valvoline RP , which oil filter

Horrible efficiency. @bullwinkle nailed it on the head.
Okay...

46 microns at 99% and 22 microns at 50% doesn't seem that horrible. And if you believe in these guys' testing methods, the BOSS actually performs better than spec'd.

screen capture:
oil filter efficiency.jpg

Last edited:
No, the main purpose of Valvoline Restore & Protect is to lubricate your engine. It's motor oil. It's not a flush. It's not a solvent. It's not going to do a lot more than any other modern quality motor oil will. You're not going to have a bunch of gravel circulating around in your engine by using it necessitating using a better filter.
Where's your evidence it won't do more than any other modem oil?

Umm...if you're considering the results in that video, that is not horrible at all. It's pretty much inline with the Fram Endurance.
View attachment 222794
the data in this video is not to be taken as gospel. there are standardized tests for a reason. this test below is a standardized test following ISO-4548-12. the BOSS is not a filter for anyone who cares about efficiency.

IMG_5221.jpeg

the data in this video is not to be taken as gospel. there are standardized tests for a reason. this test below is a standardized test following ISO-4548-12. the BOSS is not a filter for anyone who cares about efficiency.

View attachment 222795
That data is over 3 years old now. I'm not saying it's wrong, but if the filtering efficiency is good (slightly less than the Fram Endurance) and the dust holding capacity is better, then I have no problem using it.

That data is over 3 years old now. I'm not saying it's wrong, but if the filtering efficiency is good (slightly less than the Fram Endurance) and the dust holding capacity is better, then I have no problem using it.
it doesn’t matter if the data is 3 years old, the test is still a standard test. the Boss is nowhere near the endurance efficiency wise so i don’t know where you get “slightly” from. OP asked what the best filter they could buy is, and it’s the endurance not the boss, simple.

Where's your evidence it won't do more than any other modem oil?
I have none. Just like Valvoline has no evidence that proves that it will. It's all just marketing.

And that's beside the point anyway since whatever it does clean up will not overwhelm the filter or require you to use a more efficient one.

As deposits leave the engine, where do they go? Do the deposits have any effect on oil filter performance or longevity?​

Valvoline’s Active Clean technology chemically dissolves deposits into microscopic pieces, which are then suspended in the motor oil, eventually leaving the engine during the next oil change. There is no impact to the performance or longevity of the oil filter.

Read the FAQ. It's just a really good motor oil doing its job, just like it's supposed to.

I have none. Just like Valvoline has no evidence that proves that it will. It's all just marketing.

And that's beside the point anyway since whatever it does clean up will not overwhelm the filter or require you to use a more efficient one.

Read the FAQ. It's just a really good motor oil doing its job, just like it's supposed to.
argumentum ad ignorantiam

Like I said above-if you want to save a couple $, use a Premium Guard XL & change it a little more often, cut it to see what’s in it. The last thing you want is a tear-prone filter letting dislodged junk into your bearings…

You haven't seen my Nissan Versa posts then. It's my opinion so far, that it is cleaning. At a relatively quick rate as well. Also, they have the data they've shown the piston results. Although those are a requirement to have certain certs.

it doesn’t matter if the data is 3 years old, the test is still a standard test. the Boss is nowhere near the endurance efficiency wise so i don’t know where you get “slightly” from. OP asked what the best filter they could buy is, and it’s the endurance not the boss, simple.
Is the Fram Ultra in those results wire backed? Do we know that today’s FU will perform the same? That’s the potential relevance of the data being 3 years old.

BOSS is not a filter for anyone who cares about efficiency.
Yeah because some how your car cares about all the regurgitated info parroting even though it will last just as long with any of the filters listed. Even with the new squishy, mushy, holey ultra.

Ca
Okay...

46 microns at 99% and 22 microns at 50% doesn't seem that horrible. And if you believe in these guys' testing methods, the BOSS actually performs better than spec'd.

screen capture:
View attachment 222770

There isn't a good correlation between their "efficiency" test and an official ISO 4548-12 efficiency test. I'll believe an official ISO 4548-12 test spec sheet from M+H who designs and makes the filter before a non-official test.

Is the Fram Ultra in those results wire backed? Do we know that today’s FU will perform the same? That’s the potential relevance of the data being 3 years old.
we don’t and i never claimed the updated ultra was the same. i refuse to spin on any of the new Fram filters other than the Endurance and primarily use Premium guard carquest premiums at work unless going with full sump of HPL at work. the filter tested there was an OG wire backed filter and why i have a massive stock pile of them stashed.
Yeah because some how your car cares about all the regurgitated info parroting even though it will last just as long with any of the filters listed. Even with the new squishy, mushy, holey ultra.
less particulate in the oil film = less wear. that is physics. again, the OP asked for the “best” filter. the endurance/royal purple/amsoil by champion is the single best filter currently available on shelves.

we don’t and i never claimed the update ultra was the same. the filter tested there was an OG wire backed filter and why i have a massive stock pile of them stashed.
The question was about filters that could be bought today. Your stockpile of old stock is irrelevant with regards to this post.

Back