About to do a drain and fill with Honda HCF-2

'18 CR-V with 24677 miles.
I have 5 qts of Genuine Honda HCF-2

Any recent VOA or UOA on this fluid? I did spend about an hour searching and found one VOA on another website, but it's from 2016.

I have enough extra to send in a VOA, but would rather save the money if someone else has done one recently.

If I do a VOA, would it be worth getting a TAN? And then a UOA/TAN of the oil I drain out...?

If I do a VOA, would it make more sense to sample from one bottle, or 20% from each bottle to get an average of all 5 bottles?

From the few UOAs I came across, this fluid tends to shear from 7.1 to 5.1 cSt within about 25-30k, which is why I'm doing this now. I'd rather be proactive with this tranny.

Would a 4qt drain and fill be sufficient every 3 years/25k miles, knowing it's only replacing about 1/3 of the fluid each time?

We are on our 2nd Honda CVT vehicle, our old Accord we bought new, I think it was about every 10K miles x 3 that I did to get the breakin debris out as best I could. After that, the trans seemed to pick up a gear whine on decel after about 20K, nothing bad , just noticeable. All was well when we sold it. Our '17 CR-V we purchased used with about 9K miles from an older gentleman who was moving to be near family. I did an initial D & F and then did another at about 20K. The engineering must have improved over the years because the magnetic plug debris on the CR-V was almost non-existent compared to the Accord. I have a VOA and 1 UOA from our Accord from 2016 I think, I will look for it and post up or PM you. I remember that HCF-2 seemed to shear down about 2 points during use. Fresh fluid is cheap to change, parts, not so much from not changing fluid.

I think a drain and fill every 25k miles would be ok. That's what I've been doing with my cars. (All use DW-1 though)

A change every 25k miles would be more than 99.99% of people do.

I think a drain and fill every 25k miles would be ok. That's what I've been doing with my cars. (All use DW-1 though)

A change every 25k miles would be more than 99.99% of people do.
Just the fact that you understand that maintenance needs to be done and is important for reliability puts you ahead of 99.99% of car owners, 25k drain and fills will keep your cvt running smooth longer than you’re probably interested in keeping the car, I’ve had two honda cvt’s now, 210k on the first and 65k on my current one, i do 30k drain and fills after a few shorter 10k intervals early. The first cvt was as smooth when my buddy bought it at 210 as it was when new, my current one is great as well but I would certainly not expect issues from a Honda at 65k.

Back