About to buy a used Subaru Legacy GT, feedback?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Still not sure why you need AWD for a hwy cruiser in Texas, when you specifically mentioned mpg as a factor in your first post.

Get an Accord and get 34mpg easily. That H6 will get what 24 pure hwy?

Originally Posted By: surfstar
Still not sure why you need AWD for a hwy cruiser in Texas, when you specifically mentioned mpg as a factor in your first post.

Get an Accord and get 34mpg easily. That H6 will get what 24 pure hwy?

MPG is a factor but not #1. I'm also factoring in safety, fun to drive, etc.

According to the Subaru forums, you can get 25-26 on the highway with the H6.

I will never buy a Honda. Just a personal preference. Always hated them, always will. I'm sure they are fine cars, but I find them extremely boring and ordinary.

Last edited:
I can't tell if Al was being sarcastic or not, but 2005-2009 turbo legacies do still have head gasket issues. I've been a member over at legacygt.com for awhile now, and have read a number of blown head gasket stories over the years.

Originally Posted By: coachditka
Not to derail, but I found a used 2005 Outback sedan with the H6 engine. Going to look at it today. No turbo, and I have read that the H6 does not have the HG issues that the 4cyl has.

It has 134,000 miles with a dealer service record. Always been in Houston so no salt or rust issues.

Price is reasonable.

A far better choice, good luck.

Originally Posted By: sxg6
I can't tell if Al was being sarcastic or not, but 2005-2009 turbo legacies do still have head gasket issues. I've been a member over at legacygt.com for awhile now, and have read a number of blown head gasket stories over the years.

You always find more problems on forums dedicated to specific carlines. I have been on Subaruforester.org since 2007.

A much higher percentage own turbos in their Foresters than in the "real" world. HG issues there are very rare even though probably 30% of members have the turbo. And you can bet they drive them harder than your average turbo user. I can count the HG issues in those many years on one hand.

I am sure you realize that the Turbo EJ is a vastly different than the Non-Turbo EJ. The turbo block is semi closed deck and the non Turbo is an open deck.

@200k or 250k a Toyota or Honda will still command some reasale value whereas the Subie will be in a bone yard.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: dblshock
@200k or 250k a Toyota or Honda will still command some reasale value whereas the Subie will be in a bone yard.

That's a silly statement.

I really liked the H6. New set of Michelins on it also, so that's sweet. All the service was done at the dealer here in Houston, so I'm going to try and get this thing.

200k+ nothing available? anywhere.

http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sale/Used+Cars/Subaru/Legacy/Brookfield+WI-53045?endYear=2016&listingType=used&listingTypes=used&makeCode1=SUB&makeCode2=SUB&maxMileage=200001&mmt=%5BSUB%5BLEGACY%5BLEGACY%7CSport%5ELEGACY%7C3.0R+Limited%5D%5D%5B%5D%5D&modelCode1=LEGACY&modelCode2=LEGACY&searchRadius=0&showcaseOwnerId=70327&sortBy=mileageDESC&startYear=1981&Log=0&showcaseListingId=388521192&showcaseOwnerId=70327&captureSearch=true&fromSIP=E9516E9E45C3C69D2D109B9766D79260&showToolbar=true&Log=0

Originally Posted By: Al
You always find more problems on forums dedicated to specific carlines. I have been on Subaruforester.org since 2007.

A much higher percentage own turbos in their Foresters than in the "real" world. HG issues there are very rare even though probably 30% of members have the turbo. And you can bet they drive them harder than your average turbo user. I can count the HG issues in those many years on one hand.

I am sure you realize that the Turbo EJ is a vastly different than the Non-Turbo EJ. The turbo block is semi closed deck and the non Turbo is an open deck.

I'm a very honest person, so with that said I had no idea the turbo block was as semi closed deck and the non turbo was an open deck. I didn't even know what the deck differences were, so I looked into them a little bit more. So in all honesty I do appreciate you bringing that to my attention, because I learned something new.

I was going to say earlier that I don't remember if the turbo guys with HG issues were running upgraded turbos, more boost, running with or without coolant conditioner, etc. I just know that over the years I've seen a number of threads where turbo owners have had HG issues. So while I'm not sure how prevalent HG issues are in daily driven turbo subarus, I figure it's worth it to give a potential buyer the heads up that some people do still experience HG failure on them.

That aside, I have heard that the H6 is a very good, reliable engine. Though I will admit I don't know a lot about it, since there aren't many H6 owners over at legacygt.com. I remember reading at a few forums that the spark plugs are a nightmare to change, but I'm pretty sure I recall reading that they have a 100k or 105k replacement interval, so it's not that big of a deal.

That aside, I have heard that the H6 is a very good, reliable engine. Though I will admit I don't know a lot about it, since there aren't many H6 owners over at legacygt.com. I remember reading at a few forums that the spark plugs are a nightmare to change, but I'm pretty sure I recall reading that they have a 100k or 105k replacement interval, so it's not that big of a deal.

The spark plugs are no picnic on the DOHC 4 cylinder engines either, at least in the Impreza (I'm not 100% sure about the legacy but guessing it's not much better).

I'd probably get the H6 over the N/A H4 as well.

I'm a very honest person, so with that said I had no idea the turbo block was as semi closed deck and the non turbo was an open deck. I didn't even know what the deck differences were, so I looked into them a little bit more. So in all honesty I do appreciate you bringing that to my attention, because I learned something new.

I was going to say earlier that I don't remember if the turbo guys with HG issues were running upgraded turbos, more boost, running with or without coolant conditioner, etc. I just know that over the years I've seen a number of threads where turbo owners have had HG issues. So while I'm not sure how prevalent HG issues are in daily driven turbo subarus, I figure it's worth it to give a potential buyer the heads up that some people do still experience HG failure on them.

So you heard in a forum...

LegacyGt.com is a bunch of whiners and some who know what is going on with car.

If I believed that forum my wife's 2005 LGT wagon with 5mt would have needed a new turbo, short block(bad pistons), wheel bearings and all sorts of other junk.

Reality is she has two issues with it apparently common amongst owners I know and my mechanic

* burned valve on pure stock car: $3000!!!! I think to fix would have been $2200 however buckets of parts thrown at it since apart increasing it to $3000. Of course then it got a new head gasket but nothing was wrong with one in there at 170k
* throw out bearing - $400 to replace some $30 part on clutch. And yes we have OEM clutch still even though exposed twice.

Refreshing to see someone who does go back and look up facts to back up their argument and when they find that maybe the other person did have a valid point they admit. Very rarely happens..and I can say that I have argued.facts be dammmed"
You are a good sport!!!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: madRiver
……..Reality is she has two issues with it apparently common amongst owners I know and my mechanic

* burned valve on pure stock car: $3000!!!! I think to fix would have been $2200 however buckets of parts thrown at it since apart increasing it to $3000. Of course then it got a new head gasket but nothing was wrong with one in there at 170k...

Was valve lash ever checked?

Valve lash not checked however if out my gumby subie tech stated beyond difficult to adjust without engine removal. He knows the subie tricks to avoid extra work.

Subie like Nissan and Mitsubishi got half the engineering right, the other half sends them to the bone yard early, represented by the poor hi-milage resale value. When your buying a 140k car you should pay attention to that lest your unintrested in value.

You asked for opnions, don't belly ache when you get them.

Originally Posted By: si_jeff
Ok, How good of a price is he selling it? That should be asked first lol

If its not a money pit that's a very good price. Again make sure the idlers and tensioner have been changed. If not you do it.

If its not a money pit that's a very good price. Again make sure the idlers and tensioner have been changed. If not you do it.

Thanks for the advice!

Like I said before, this is Houston, not Seattle or Vermont where Subaru can sell for a premium or sell close to NADA or KBB. There is just not a market here for AWD.

However, our XC90 has AWD and the handling is fantastic.

My wife has 2005 LGT 5mt wagon with 186k. She adores the vehicles and has had since new. She loves high performance station wagons with manual transmissions(unicorns).

That being said knowing what I know about the car and repairs you really have to love driving it to put up with potential risk of expensive repairs lurking to drop $6800 on one.

I stated earlier we spend nearly $3k fixing burned valve but in process don't plan on doing anything to it but change oil and air filter for next 5yrs. $900 of $3k price was new parts that were easy to access/removed for nearly free labor since motor was pulled and apart(t belt, plugs, throw out bearing, seals, water pump, etc).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back