About an hour from now, Australia to hit 25M population

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's a pretty sparse population, considering it's land mass is about the same as the United States. Which has a current population of almost 327 million. Or a bit over 13 times as much. I always like to point that out, because a lot of people like to compare the United States to Australia on various subjects like health care, crime, and guns. It quickly becomes apples and oranges. Not to mention it is a much different social, racial, and political culture.

Originally Posted By: Kira
Pack the Earth with as many people as we can.
Level the planet's contours with garbage.
Feel good about it.

And your plan to reduce the numbers would be...?

Originally Posted By: billt460
That's a pretty sparse population, considering it's land mass is about the same as the United States. Which has a current population of almost 327 million. Or a bit over 13 times as much. I always like to point that out, because a lot of people like to compare the United States to Australia on various subjects like health care, crime, and guns. It quickly becomes apples and oranges. Not to mention it is a much different social, racial, and political culture.

Slightly above Florida and New York.

Slightly less than Texas.

Well below California.

In a land mass the nearly as large as all of the lower 48...

Just for fun: wikipedia says population density for the world is 50 per square km (land not including water); excluding Antarctica 55. Double that again if you remove other "uninhabitable" areas.

Anyhow:
Population Density of Countries
#245 Australia 3 persons per square km
#079 United States 33/km^2
#015 United Kingdom 272/km^2

Looking at my state of New Hampshire, we are 57 persons per square km, and 16/km^2 for the town I live in.

Originally Posted By: Astro14
Originally Posted By: Kira
Pack the Earth with as many people as we can.
Level the planet's contours with garbage.
Feel good about it.

A few years ago there was an article about the Earth's population, indicating that the rate of growth was already starting to slow. The UN was predicting that world population would stabilize at around 12B, and a German think-tank predicted 9B. The German estimate was generally thought to be more realistic. I wish I could remember where I'd seen this.

The worst of the doom-and-gloom Malthusian predictions my generation (mid-Boomer) was taught in school will likely not come to pass, at least not in the near future.

We were taught that the Earth's resources were being depleted so fast that we (the young teenagers of the day) would never learn to drive a car because fossil fuels would have run out by then. And of course Soylent Green and H.G. Wells's The Time Machine looked prophetic based on what was presented in school.

A few years ago I read, I think in one of Jared Diamond's books (Collapse?), that Australia actually only had the resources to support about 8M people. It was implied that it was selfish and bad for the world to import the shortfall. As far as I can see, Australia's doing just fine.

I see reports that the population of 25M was expected in 33 yrs just a few years ago!!! We have been right royally "Helically torqued hard", mostly by those who make the most noise about "being the party for the worker".

One of our new "Aussies" at work was talking about the value of his daughter...... 60 cows!!! or $60,000.... When asked if she met an Aussie and natural things happened he would ....... Seems integration means we all culturally slip backwards...
21.gif
As a work team we are working hard to integrate that one...

Another one of great "faith" was removed for being pie eyed on the forbidden alcohol, but said "as god is my witness I did not" .... at this point we all stood back to allow plenty of room for the heavenly lightning bolt to descend...

Not all bad though, some are great and very happy to be here escaping the horrors of the world they left, unfortunately they seem to be the minority of the ones I deal with.

Fast immigration just pulls the working populations conditions down. At the speed it has occurred here it will take decades to recover, if ever. I believe it is self evident; there has been too much immigration too soon and a lot of them are "somewhat less inclined" to have a modicum of personal or professional integrity. I see that on a daily basis. Check out The Airport Customs show on the box it gives you a true insight of a lot of our "new Aussies".

Now back to my Valvoline Dura Blend 10w30 reading..
laugh.gif

Here in Canada we have 36 million people, but a huge amount of releatively open land, mostly in the Arctic ; sort of like the opposite of the Outback. Currently there is a strong immigration policy and it looks like we intend to fill it up.

Originally Posted By: Snagglefoot
Here in Canada we have 36 million people, but a huge amount of releatively open land, mostly in the Arctic ; sort of like the opposite of the Outback. Currently there is a strong immigration policy and it looks like we intend to fill it up.

Political - please lock

Originally Posted By: Danno
Political - please lock

I don't know if you're joking or not. If your not, and don't like it, then don't read it! There is nothing political in discussing national populations. The world has enough censorship without you cheerleading for more.

Originally Posted By: supton
Just for fun: wikipedia says population density for the world is 50 per square km (land not including water); excluding Antarctica 55. Double that again if you remove other "uninhabitable" areas.

Anyhow:
Population Density of Countries
#245 Australia 3 persons per square km
#079 United States 33/km^2
#015 United Kingdom 272/km^2

Looking at my state of New Hampshire, we are 57 persons per square km, and 16/km^2 for the town I live in.

I have been looking at a couple of houses in NH one in Rindge and the other in Brookline. The problem is the mass move there because they hate MA but when nanny isn't there they cry and want her to move there with them.

When you consider that the majority of Australia’s population resides in the few major urban areas like Sydney, Melbourne, Brisbane, and a few others, the population density in the middle is mostly wallabies.

Congrats on the milestone. Don’t fret about the garbage or the greenie comments.

Congrats ( I guess, on the 25M mark ). I'm sorry that your population down under is deemed insufficient to manufacture cars.

I sure liked the Holden's. Wish I could have bought a Falcon.

Originally Posted By: ozdrrider

One of our new "Aussies" at work was talking about the value of his daughter...... 60 cows!!! or $60,000.... When asked if she met an Aussie and natural things happened he would ....... Seems integration means we all culturally slip backwards...
21.gif
As a work team we are working hard to integrate that one...

Forgive my ignorance but from where are these immigrants you speak of coming from?

Originally Posted By: PimTac
When you consider that the majority of Australia’s population resides in the few major urban areas like Sydney, Melbourne, Brisbane, and a few others, the population density in the middle is mostly wallabies.

LOL, here in the "bush" less than 100 miles from Sydney, we are sure that NSW stands for Newcastle Sydney Wollongong, not New South Wales.

Originally Posted By: Astro14

High cost of living, higher education. That'll leads to voluntary birth control.

Quote:
Forgive my ignorance but from where are these immigrants you speak of coming from?

That particular fellow is a Sudanese. A really likeable guy actually, with a great honest work ethic, we/I have a lot of time for him at work. It is just the cultural and ergo his expectations of what is to occur if certain marriage "requirements" are not met. Currently he is saving money ($60-$65k) for another wife for himself to come out, which is illegal here. A lot of these guy's from that cohort were living in mud huts in the country to escape conflict, very different to Australia in the cities and suburbs or anywhere in this country for that matter....

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back