AAA Triplex Pressure Washer Pumps vs CAT

I am considering a pressure washer for cleaning my home's siding and the cement.

This unit from Home Depot has caught my attention for $849. It comes with a Honda GX390 engine and a AAA Triplex Pump. Specs are 4gpm and 4400 psi. I suspect this is a reboxed Simpson unit.

However, Simpson sells a unit with similar psi/gpm specs but with a CAT triplex pump. The cost is $350 more. Is it worth the additional money?

I just did all this searching and ended up with a Dewalt from Home Depot. I looked everywhere and at all the brands and I think maybe there are only a couple manufacturers for everything. Mine has the triplex pump and Honda GX. Too new to tell. Triplex is the way to go from what i have been told. All others pump styles are for light duty use.

If pressure washing isn't a career for you then either will be fine.

(In '95 or so I got a pressure washer when a hardware chain was shutting down. Has industrial GX390 Honda engine, CAT pump.
Serious overkill for my homeowner-duty.)

Also, I doubt you'll ever have it dialed up to 4400 psi. Try to use as low a pressure as possible.
The higher the pressure, the more abrasive it is. With concrete, it'll pull the aggregate from the sand at high pressure.

I have a 3000 psi unit and holding onto the handle for a few hours is a chore. Unless you need that much pressure, I would get a smaller psi.

Cat I think is better than AAA, but either one will get you what you need. triplex style.
Just received a 10% off coupon in the mail from HD. Did some research and found this Dewalt unit:

#DXPW60604. It has a GX270 engine and a CAT3SPX30G1I pump. Price is $879. Advertised specs are 3800 psi and 3.5gpm, but the CAT pump is rated for lower specs. Regardless, it is more than adequate for my use.

I understand that Dewalt pressure washers are usually made by Simpson but I do not see a similar model sold under the Simpson line up. Any thoughts on this unit?

Also, is there any way to turn down the pressure of this unit to the 1500-2000 psi range in case I need to use it to pre-wash a muddy car?

Thanks!

Just received a 10% off coupon in the mail from HD. Did some research and found this Dewalt unit:

#DXPW60604. It has a GX270 engine and a CAT3SPX30G1I pump. Price is $879. Advertised specs are 3800 psi and 3.5gpm, but the CAT pump is rated for lower specs. Regardless, it is more than adequate for my use.

I understand that Dewalt pressure washers are usually made by Simpson but I do not see a similar model sold under the Simpson line up. Any thoughts on this unit?

Also, is there any way to turn down the pressure of this unit to the 1500-2000 psi range in case I need to use it to pre-wash a muddy car?

Thanks!
It seems like a decent machine. As far as turning down the pressure, just cut back on the throttle to pre-wash your car. It takes very little pressure to do a car.

Is there not a valve on the bypass that allows you to adjust pressure? Some have a large plastic knob over a spring, others have a locknut and screw.

Attachments

• Pump.jpg
    Pump.jpg
    19.9 KB · Views: 131
On the bottom of page 12, the lower right picture describing the chemical hose, just to left of the hose there is a tall hex-looking knob. That should be your pressure adjustment. It may be either easy, just turn to adjust, or you might have to loosen a locknut. I cant right off remember which way to lower the pressure, so you'll have to listen to the engine, it should bog less when relieving pressure.

1600137905667.png

It's that black plastic knob facing the ground.
You also can see the chemical injection nipple next to it.

I think you should try cranking it in the store to see if it's easy to do or not.
My (old) pressure washer has an upward fist-sized adjuster plastic knob.
I crank it to the loosest position when putting it away. It's obvious there's a strong
spring underneath that knob. I can't imagine using that small knob to crank the spring mine has would be easy or comfortable.

I think the implementers had a bit of a head-scratcher on their hands.
It's supposed to be mounted knob-up. They probably tried that and couldn't because it hit the frame or the tire.
So, upside-down it goes.

Last edited:
I have nearly or the same Dewalt pressure washer. The engine speed is one way to adjust pressure, plus the valve, and to adjust contact area and force on the material it comes with different nozzles too. You won’t have a problem. I bought mine some years ago in the store with a clearance tag on it. Was new, not returned. Check that as well, never know what is there. I also got the Cat pump oil and changed it after a short time, as well as the engine oil, probably 5 hours or less. These engines work hard when pumping, break in has to be pretty fast at those loads.

I've done a lot of pressure washing, living in hot-n-sticky (moldy) South Florida. The CAT triplex pumps are the ones that hold up to severe use, year after year. The AR pumps did not last as long, and always needed replacement halfway through the engine's life.

Went with this unit:

Paid $800 + tax after the 10% off coupon.

Great unit so far, no complaints. The 3.5 gpm makes a world of difference over the 1.2-1.5 gpm electric units I had been using.

Should be a great unit HD usually has a good price on the CAT oil and I only use in my CAT pump change early on OEM fill. Fill slowly it goes from not at level to overfill in a hurry.

Back