AAA or alternative roadside assistance

LawnRanger BreakDown Inc. No, I've watched the infomercial a few times. I would at least give AAA a shot. It seems to be a good deal.

Some of the roadside assistance outfits will only tow your car to a service facility, sometimes only the closest to where you've broken down. AAA will tow it anyplace you like, even home if you want to work on it yourself.

AAA has quality control. They are really there. They hire observers who randomly and secretly go out to the call and see how it is handled. Not just once in a blue moon, either.

Ask your insurance agent if calling for assistance through your auto coverage counts as a "claim". With some, it might and with some, too many claims will get you dropped.

Probably worth it if you get plus which gets you 100 miles of free towing. The insurance stuff is usually more limited like 3 miles or the nearest repair shop. I've had them pick up my car and drop it off at my mechanic.

Ins policy very reasonable. AAA overpriced in today's automotive world, very few no starts or tows needed and tons of annoying emails once you sign up

The 19 year old kid who lives next door to me works for a "service" that provides roadside assistance to insurance companies. His green neon with a red fender, his $20 Delco floor jack, and his fuzzy goatee convince me to use AAA for myself, wife, and kids.

Wanted to see what alternatives people use over AAA or is it the best bang for your buck? Thanks
My auto insurance has towing service for 3-4 dollars for six months. I would never have AAA. Too long wait for towing service and I believe you have to be towed to a AAA approved service center.

My auto insurance has towing service for 3-4 dollars for six months. I would never have AAA. Too long wait for towing service and I believe you have to be towed to a AAA approved service center.
They give you 3 miles of free towing or to the nearest service center. The plus service is good for 100 miles of free towing and their premier package offers you up to 200 miles of free towing once a year. Those two packages are probably better than the regular membership. I did get towed once for 104 miles, had to pay $20 for the 4 extra miles.

Some of the roadside assistance outfits will only tow your car to a service facility, sometimes only the closest to where you've broken down. AAA will tow it anyplace you like, even home if you want to work on it yourself.
I use it to transport my car around all the time. Sometimes I use it to transport a cargo inside the car for me in the trunk.

Like, a heavy box that I have no time to send to my parents. We both have AAA for 100 miles towing 4 times a year, so I put an iPhone inside with the tracking on, have AAA send it up, then another call to have it send down.

A story of two drivers that both broke down on a holiday:

My coworker had his timing belt snap on his minivan in the evening on Christmas Day while driving back from dinner with family. His car was stuck on the side of the road so he called his insurance to arrange a tow. They instructed him that he had up to $250 for each tow claim and that it was up to him to call around to find the service. He still has a flip phone and no internet access so he had to call a family member to find a local towing service. He tried two companies without an answer and finally got through to a service that offered 24/7/365 emergency towing. He was quoted $250 for the tow plus an additional $100 because of how late it was plus $250 because it was a holiday and the limit was 25 miles plus $2 per mile beyond that. After mileage fees and taxes he ended up spending a bit over $775 and only got $250 back from insurance.

Easter Sunday, 2019. My wife and I go for an afternoon drive and my Ford has yet another fuel injector failure. I call AAA who arranges a tow for us and within 90 minutes, we have been dropped off at our house (at no cost) and our car was taken to my local mechanic. No hassle, no extra charges for weekends or holidays, just fast, reliable service without any hassle.

Yes. I’ve had AAA for years without any problems. Of course, you’re at the mercy of whatever local outfit does their work for them. If they’re good, you’re good.

Back