AAA is the authority on gas prices

Status
Not open for further replies.
Heard this on the radio last week, long and short of it is that AAA was quoted as saying under $3 gallon gas is gone, finito, extinct. http://newsroom.aaa.com/2013/09/gas-pric...st-streak-ever/

Which is why I was so darn confused while driving down the road yesterday and seeing $2.99/gallon everywhere http://www.richmondgasprices.com/index.aspx?area=Midlothian . I mean this is AAA, they know everything, there is NO WAY they would write an article with zero research right? I know I know this article is really old and a lot of the methodology they put into it doesn't apply now. Oh wait that article isn't even 2 weeks old! Thanks AAA for the responsible journalism, next time I need a way to pass the time I will skip your articles....maybe the National Enquirer will have something a little more credible.

Ive never found AAA to be very accurate on prices, but I have no idea how they gather them either - phone poll? stations remembered on someone's commute?

Originally Posted By: Barkleymut

Which is why I was so darn confused while driving down the road yesterday and seeing $2.99/gallon everywhere

You better stock up on it as it wont last long. There was a sudden and surprising sell-off in gasoline futures recently.

Originally Posted By: friendly_jacek

Which is why I was so darn confused while driving down the road yesterday and seeing $2.99/gallon everywhere

You better stock up on it as it wont last long. There was a sudden and surprising sell-off in gasoline futures recently.

well the traders apparently missed this article!

Heard this on the radio last week, long and short of it is that AAA was quoted as saying under $3 gallon gas is gone, finito, extinct. http://newsroom.aaa.com/2013/09/gas-pric...st-streak-ever/

Which is why I was so darn confused while driving down the road yesterday and seeing $2.99/gallon everywhere http://www.richmondgasprices.com/index.aspx?area=Midlothian . I mean this is AAA, they know everything, there is NO WAY they would write an article with zero research right? I know I know this article is really old and a lot of the methodology they put into it doesn't apply now. Oh wait that article isn't even 2 weeks old! Thanks AAA for the responsible journalism, next time I need a way to pass the time I will skip your articles....maybe the National Enquirer will have something a little more credible.

I don't read what you are claiming in the link? I read a lot of "may be" and "most" comments not absolute definitive statements that we will never see gas under $3.00 again. Most likely we won't, as a National Average, but your comments don't seem justified on the link info.

Originally Posted By: AAA Article
Paying Less than $3.00 per Gallon Likely to Remain a Historic Memory for Most Americans...Paying less than $3.00 per gallon for gasoline may be automotive history for most Americans

As to you seeing $2.999...

1 - that is for all intents and purposes $3.00 a gallon.

2 - AAA reports a National Average price so when they talk of prices in that link it is a National Average( which they say ). I was just in VA 2 weeks ago and noticed the gas was 30-40 cents less than it cost me here. VA has some cheap gas. You have to keep in mind however that lots of states are at or over $4.00 a gallon so when you average it all out it would take a lot of states well under $3.00 a gallon to drop the National Average below $3.00.

I doubt we will ever see a National Average below $3.00 again( too much money being made screwing us at this level )but that doesn't mean some areas won't be under it.

Last edited:
Yeah, I don't get what the point here is. The article says "most", which is true, and it is focused on the forecast.

It even said the current national average is $3.52 and has been above $3.25 for 265 days.

If you're finding it $.50/gal below the national average the price would be like a statistical outlier.

Over the last week, gas prices have risen more than $0.50 a gallon in some regions. In the wake of the sudden spike, at least one man was arrested for trying to steal more than 1,000 gallons. Other stations that raised prices more slowly than others closed early, when supply was too short for demand.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back