A video for the Tesla lovers and haters alike!

There is no question, the Tesla cars perform! Very minor crash, I'd call that a "minor racing event", and not really a crash.

I have spent most of my life working with vehicles and equipment and look at them as nothing more that a tool. No love Hate or fan boy ism.

I find my hatred of objects quite childish, yet somewhat amusing. But, it is never due to political reasons because I am not plugged in to any sort of modern day 'Borg' collective. My brief hatred which is quickly forgotten, is because something failed on me, or just doesn't work properly. Like a Harbor Freight tool or printer that won't print anymore because "ink reservoir is full". It is never a hatred of a well-performing top of the line product, solely because some other guy does like it. Inversely, I would hope I'd never devolve into the type of anti-intellectual life form that would love something just because some other guy hated it.

That would be... indicative of a mental dysfunction, regardless of how common it may be and that person should frankly be excommunicated from society, because such an elementary, archaic mind could not possibly contribute any useful effort to mankind.

To me it seems his first counter steer was too much, as well as the counter-steers that followed. I think he overreacted from the initial loss of traction. IMHO of course.

FYI, the viceo was just for your enjoyment. It is none of my business if you like or dislike a product; the title was just poking a little fun and interest.
All good.
I think his car is amazing. It is certainly fast. His videos show what these cars can do, from stock to tire and suspension modifications.
And seeing all the other cars on the legendary Nurburgring track is simply amazing to me.

Did he really make contact with anything? I wonder if something kicked up on his spin damaged that trim? I didn’t see any jolt of impact in the video.

Did he really make contact with anything? I wonder if something kicked up on his spin damaged that trim? I didn’t see any jolt of impact in the video.
He rubbed the nose up against the guardrail when he came to a stop.
Caused the "Darlington stripe" damage to the nose of the car.
You wouldn't see a jolt from the collision with that kind of a "crash".

The spin shows much how much weight those cars have vs. tire traction.

Once you get that pendulum swinging, its hard to stop it swinging ....
I'm not sure that's true. The mass of a vehicle is directly related to tire friction, even while sliding. Lightweight cars behave in much the same way.

The driver was carrying too much speed.

I'm not sure that's true. The mass of a vehicle is directly related to tire friction, even while sliding. Lightweight cars behave in much the same way.

The driver was carrying too much speed.
I would suggest, given equal tires, and 2 cars, with one car that is 1000 lbs heavier, that the heavier car will be more difficult to control at a given speed. The limit way be higher for the lighter car, so not correct to compare both "at their limits".

"The greater the mass of an object, the more difficult it is to move it or change its direction and speed."

The dynamics of a car in a slide are complex, nevermind taking into account what the driver contributes to the chaos. The mistake, as he correctly identified, was getting into that situation in the first place by entering the corner too fast. It would have been interesting to see if a DSC system could have done better.

I would suggest, given equal tires, and 2 cars, with one car that is 1000 lbs heavier, that the heavier car will be more difficult to control at a given speed. The limit way be higher for the lighter car, so not correct to compare both "at their limits".

"The greater the mass of an object, the more difficult it is to move it or change its direction and speed."

That Model3 with those tires, would have alot more lateral grip than say, a Miata off the showroom floor. Even if you just magically gave the Miata the same power to weight ratio, the Model3 with those tires would still be much faster around the corners and around the track, in spite of its near double mass.
To me in a couple spots the car looked a bit more prone to oversteer than I would like on a high speed track like that, in a street car. I'm sure he's a much better driver than me, but in my limited track experience, a pointy car is fun when everything is going to plan, but if a little surprise comes up, and you get behind in driving the car, reacting to it instead of making it do what you want, its easy to run out of talent fast! I didn't get away as lucky as he did!

For those who have not driven a Model 3, the steering is really quick; I imagine it could be a little too quick for high speeds. A small steering wheel imput goes a long way. I think it makes the car feel faster and handle better that it really does; not sure... They are a blast to drive.

I would suggest, given equal tires, and 2 cars, with one car that is 1000 lbs heavier, that the heavier car will be more difficult to control at a given speed.
That's never the case though, is it. We do not use 155-80-14 SmartCar tires on a 5000 pound Model S. The load rating won't work, not to mention vehicle dynamics. We size tires appropriately. This Model 3 performance had some pretty righteous tires and wheels (both in size and compound), I honestly think he crashed because he was carrying too much speed for his setup.

In years past, we could only dream of this kind of performance in street cars. However, as mentioned above driving dynamics are complex and I have no idea what his alignment settings were, did he have enough negative camber? Not to mention his tire pressures and temperatures, were the tires too cold or hot? I found it a bit odd that his tires were wailing, squealing and complaining. But that may be compound related.

Note: I was never the fastest guy on the track, despite winning some races. I did not drive on the edge of control and was known for never crashing. Even on motorcycles. This guy had no such personal limitations.

That's never the case though, is it. We do not use 155-80-14 SmartCar tires on a 5000 pound Model S. The load rating won't work, not to mention vehicle dynamics. We size tires appropriately. This Model 3 performance had some pretty righteous tires and wheels (both in size and compound), I honestly think he crashed because he was carrying too much speed for his setup.

In years past, we could only dream of this kind of performance in street cars. However, as mentioned above driving dynamics are complex and I have no idea what his alignment settings were, did he have enough negative camber? Not to mention his tire pressures and temperatures, were the tires too cold or hot? I found it a bit odd that his tires were wailing, squealing and complaining. But that may be compound related.

Note: I was never the fastest guy on the track, despite winning some races. I did not drive on the edge of control and was known for never crashing. Even on motorcycles. This guy had no such personal limitations.
My discussion was on the theoretical side vs what we saw on the video.

It is too heavy in front.
He carried too much speed.
Steering is absolute junk for track purposes.

As for weight: it is cancer on track. You can put whatever tires and suspension it ain’t gonna be Miata. He was behind that M3 and M3 was leaving him behind bcs. weight, better suspension, steering etc.

It is too heavy in front.
////
Steering is absolute junk for track purposes.

As for weight: it is cancer on track. You can put whatever tires and suspension it ain’t gonna be Miata. He was behind that M3 and M3 was leaving him behind bcs. weight, better suspension, steering etc.
We can make these claims. However, the Model 3 lap times are world class fast on the autocross track, the road course and the ultra fast Nurburgring.

Do we simply say that a Miata "feels" better despite being half as fast?

Back