A real spring compressor

Status
Not open for further replies.

JHZR2

Staff member
20000 N internal spring compressor. KLANN KL-0025-1K relabeled as Miller 9150/1/2 for use by Chrysler dealerships on the Chrysler Crossfire.

Suitable for the long coil springs used on w123 and w126 Mercedes, which are a major challenge and can be a safety issue with external and other designs.

Very nice machining and cadmium plated spring discs.

F037F915-3E91-4392-8741-D3CDD3182797_zpsoxod55gs.jpg

089B2163-D86B-47D7-A7CF-C69D28640048_zpsmxyfhb13.jpg

5AEB2A3E-8A05-4FE6-97C6-F390344C7922_zpsbjnqhfvi.jpg

Klann makes great stuff. I have a macpherson type for other projects, but this one is MUCH stronger for real strong coil springs.

Macpherson type:

4CB8CB04-071D-4F34-88C6-87D84BAB9169-22833-000011E22EDDF0B5_zps79918703.jpg

2735BC10-61E4-4392-BAF1-435F9AD8677D-22685-000011B28194849A_zps655eeade.jpg

I have been using the loaner program coil spring compressor from O'reilly auto parts. It is really cheesy and flimsy. I don't feel comfortable with the way the cheap spring compressor grips the coil spring. The clamp looks like it will slip off the spring with the force being released on me. I'm glad I won't be doing struts again for hopefully a few decades.

Originally Posted By: eljefino
Pretty. Post a pic with a benz spring stuffed around it.

Prepping for that but it might not be until the springtime... Or at least Christmas.

Wow that thing is around $1000
shocked2.gif

You can get a good wall-mount compressor for less than that.

Just be glad you don't have to use it to replace the shocks on your Crossfire
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog
Wow that thing is around $1000
shocked2.gif

You can get a good wall-mount compressor for less than that.

Just be glad you don't have to use it to replace the shocks on your Crossfire
smile.gif

You can't remove long springs from a front Mercedes suspension with a wall mounted compressor.

Real springs can't be compressed on a wall
smile.gif

I was going to rent one had I not been tipped off on the Miller by a long-standing w124 enthusiast over on Peachparts...

Originally Posted By: spasm3
Looks pretty stout, i saw the miller branded on on ebay for $285

I got mine for less than that
smile.gif

There's a full set of crossfire tools on eBay that could be had at a great price and includes this compressor too.

Very nice. I bought one of the Chinese knockoffs used from a member on a Mercedes forum. I had to replace all the springs and spring pads on a w140. It worked great. Now I have the tool if I ever need it for my w123. I will say when the spring is fully compressed with the tool it makes you cringe.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: joegreen
Very nice. I bought one of the Chinese knockoffs used from a member on a Mercedes forum. I had to replace all the springs and spring pads on a w140. It worked great. Now I have the tool if I ever need it for my w123. I will say when the spring is fully compressed with the tool it makes you cringe.

The Chinesium Klann clones are too large in diameter to fit the hole in the w123 spring perch.

Couple that with the length and strength of a front w123 Spring im not sure if trust the unknown metallurgy of a clone.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Originally Posted By: GMBoy
I have one like this and it's nice. Just load the spring, set the retainers and pump the pedal a couple times to compress. It's easy and safe.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-5-TON-AUTO-SUS...L-/360713693527

I dont quite see how that would remove a spring from a w123 mercedes...

I'm not familiar with the W123 struts but if you are doing the job with a hand held unit that simply grips the spring and your tighten - this machine I have will work. It has the same "fingers" that grasp the spring in 4 spots. Then just pump the pedal and the jack portion compresses the spring. It goes down and up very far and I've done some big truck units on it.

w123 doesnt have struts...

Not my images, taken from over at PeachParts...

01.jpg

02.jpg

We tried to put new springs on a 1994 Dodge Dakota with multiple types of spring compressors - no joy. Saw a u-tube video where the owner ended using multiple HD wire ties to get the spring compressed. Not clear but appears release by cutting the ties one at a time. Still like to do t if could figure a way.

w123 doesnt have struts...

Not my images, taken from over at PeachParts...

01.jpg

02.jpg

Ok I see it's not a a strut. All the struts I have seen you remove the entire assembly, then compress and remove the spring from the shock. Reinstall and put back on as an assembly. These types work on my compressor stand. You need the regular kind, as you stated, to compress the spring. I understand now.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: joegreen

The Chinesium Klann clones are too large in diameter to fit the hole in the w123 spring perch.

Couple that with the length and strength of a front w123 Spring im not sure if trust the unknown metallurgy of a clone.
yeah I think I read that they were to big for the hole. The w123 springs are scary and that Chinese steel can be questionable. Tool was free for me though. Owner of the car bought it for me to do the job then told me to keep it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back