A question or pro tip ask for the forklift operators out there

Always want to be on my A game so, I will ask.

So. For those Certified Forklift Operators, be it a sit-down, stand up, or even a reach truck. My question is about the proper thing to do when you first have your forks all the way in to the pallet.

Should you use your tilt, and tilt back first, then lift up, or.. should you do it the other way, lift up slightly and then tilt back, before going backwards with your fork to clear the rack?

I see operators do both ways. When I worked with coffee, 4000lbs pallets.. they told me, you should lift up first, then tilt back to stabilize the weight. Those were heavy pallets. Then, at another warehouse, I've seen them tilt back first, then come back off the rack.

I think I would slightly prefer to come up before tilting, so that the forks are flat under the pallet, may not even need to sue tilt at all, unless the company likes to see that ? Could make the case it is not necessary on a light pallet.

Let the discussion begin. Also, any other tips and tricks.. I am past the point where I am smooth with the forks (usually Crown) and now I want to really build up confidence.

When I went through powered industrial truck training quite a few years ago the recommended technique was to lift up just high enough to suspend the load, then tilt back until you hit the limit switch, then maneuver as needed.

It really depends on how far are the back end of the blades from the pallet. If too far, don't tilt or you'll risk breaking the front board. It's safe to tilt when they're closer to the pallet. But as a general rule, lift evenly, then tilt.

Lift first then tilt back, then back out. That was my routine when I worked in a WM Distribution center. ;)

That honestly seems like the smoothest way to do it.

I may be going from Regular forklift to Reach truck tomorrow so.. practical test.

I'd be at a company called Nitto, that or a very similar one. They probably do make the tires.. If not, aerospace and I may be subject to an NDA so let's just say light/heavy industrial warehouse. So, those 55 gallon drums on a pallet are heavy. Coffee was heavier but this isn't coffee. Chemicals, could be automotive. ;)

If lift just a little then tilt back then back forks out (easier with a reach) will do it, then that's what I'll do. I also know not to go fast because those drums.. heavy weight, slow and smooth makes you fast. If that makes sense. Other stuff too.

Tomorrow it's time to pass the practical (on the reach truck) like I've been doing it for 10 years.

It really depends on how far are the back end of the blades from the pallet. If too far, don't tilt or you'll risk breaking the front board. It's safe to tilt when they're closer to the pallet. But as a general rule, lift evenly, then tilt.

The forks should be as far into the pallet as they can be.

It was a common problem with the non-reach trucks with the coffee (loads too heavy and not enough room) that if you were too close to the coffee bags with the mast, you'd poke holes in the bag.

This warehouse.. I should be able to get the forks in fully.

Sounds like lift up just a little then tilt is the best way to go. I'm thinking not only of what the examiner wants to see.. but also, that is a good way to secure the load.

I will get using tilt first out of my head.

Drove the RC lifts and the RR's, pallets of oil and paint weighed a ton and several guys dropped them when pulling off the top racks, instead of letting them down once clear they would pull out and swing around with the pallet still in the high position, that was a no-no. :eek:

Correct. Do it while trying to clear the wood at all times.

That or you'll break plenty of boards to change your mind. Good luck!

Thanks man. Tomorrow morning is showtime.

I do wonder.. with the light pallets. Do I even need to use tilt? I can go faster if I don't. Now .. I'm sure my examiner will want to see me tilt back but.. what's your thoughts on this?

Question. If I'm ever driving the big huge diesel powered forklift in the scrapyard and I have to pick up a 97 Maxima with the forks. Should I tilt back 🤣🤣

Thanks man. Tomorrow morning is showtime.

I do wonder.. with the light pallets. Do I even need to use tilt? I can go faster if I don't. Now .. I'm sure my examiner will want to see me tilt back but.. what's your thoughts on this?
Tilt-back as usual and don't rush. The Laws of Physics are the same.

Question. If I'm ever driving the big huge diesel powered forklift in the scrapyard and I have to pick up a 97 Maxima with the forks. Should I tilt back 🤣🤣
I would drive the forks through the windows just for fun :ROFLMAO:

Tilt-back as usual and don't rush. The Laws of Physics are the same.

When I get to my regular forks in the morning, we both know they are in the ground, tilted forward.

I always do the following:

(After check/pre-inspection and starting it up)

1. Raise up forks a little.
2. Tilt back.
3. Repeat.

When I can have the forks as low as they can do and they do not clang on the floor.. this is where I start from, where I know they are level. Do you do that?

I only use my side-to-side when stacking pallets. Then I re-center and continue.

Depends on what’s on the skid and it’s center of gravity. There’s no right or wrong answer. Just go slow and correct as needed.

Something low heavy, pick it up and tilt it back. If it’s top heavy, tilt it back a bit then lift or ideally do both together.

If you have the opportunity to get a feel for the machine, see how many jiggles on the lever it takes to level out the forks. Less guessing. Keeping the forks level is the key.

Depends on what’s on the skid and it’s center of gravity. There’s no right or wrong answer. Just go slow and correct as needed.

Something low heavy, pick it up and tilt it back. If it’s top heavy, tilt it back a bit then lift or ideally do both together.

If you have the opportunity to get a feel for the machine, see how many jiggles on the lever it takes to level out the forks. Less guessing. Keeping the forks level is the key.

Yep, I have a scant few seconds to get a feel on the feedback of the fork (it is usually a Crown, so it is inverted. This means you have to get a feel for when you turn to the right and it wants to go left, since it turns the wheels the opposite direction; Not like a Raymond, which actually turns the fork the direction you want to travel, not just the wheels. This gets confusing quickly in a hurry, depending on if you are traveling forks forward or trailing.)

It's literally in those few seconds in sensing the feedback to the controller that can more or less determine whether you pass or fail.

Went to a company just a few days ago, had a good offer I was willing to check out. Some of these warehouses are a tight fit for these units. Anyway .. Unit was so responsive, had a slight bit of difficulty modulating the throttle for super smooth operation. That unit was sketchy; did not have a Turtle mode. That was unusual for me. The key is to be smooth on it, and not show hesitation. That is how you pass.

I was trained on a forklift at the job shop I worked at, but was never “formally” certified. I almost always tilted mine back before lifting up to prevent anything from wanting to tilt or roll forward and hit the floor.

I like to lift the pallet an inch or so before tilting. 40 years experience.

Attachments

• 1105130657.jpg
    1105130657.jpg
    108.7 KB · Views: 11
  • 1105130657a.jpg
    1105130657a.jpg
    104.4 KB · Views: 12
Well, that was a bit of a fake-out. It wasn't a reach truck at all. It was a sit-down electric forklift. And it was so easy...

About to be making a well-known automotive product, something that's right in... Yeah, the oil aisle. :)

One side of the warehouse makes the blow molds for the jugs then I load up the filled products.. may or may not be Nitto.. ;)

Back