a little disappointed with rockauto

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yep, you can save a few bucks with online suppliers that you only contact electronically. And you get what you pay for. Pay your $ and take your chances!

On the flip side, I recently took a chance on Amazon while looking for an air filter for my Buick Verano. The standard Fram is $18.99 everywhere and Amazon had a used one for $8.00 so I figured with their no hassle return policy I wanted to see what a used filter they would sell. To my surprise, it was a brand new in the box filter, so it was a win for me.

I've had good luck with RockAuto so far. However, recently I sent an email to customer service with a question about an item they sell. The person who responded was absolutely useless. All he would do was reply with canned answers, basically saying 'it is what it is'. But that's just it, I didn't know what IT was!

All the lazy idiot had to do was pick up the phone and call somebody in the warehouse.

I've had good luck dealing with Rock Auto. They gave me a core return credit without hassle even though I bought the new part a YEAR previous. I've had poor-performing shocks that I returned. We also had "wrong parts in the right box" once. No issues (just the delay) in getting the parts replaced.

Haven't had an issue in the past year, though. No customer service phone? Wasn't there a number on the receipts?

Oh well, this is from the RA web page:

Quote:
how to…contact customer service about a problem with my order?

RockAuto is a completely online company. We do not have a customer service phone number to provide assistance over the phone. All of our customer service resources are available 24/7 online! Online self-service ensures consistent quality and keeps our prices low for you!

To check an order status, make a change, set up a return, or report a problem with your order, visit our Order Status & Returns page.

That's the price you pay when you buy parts online, they get it right 19 out of 20 times but the one time they don't it aggravates you.

Originally Posted By: JasonC
On the flip side, I recently took a chance on Amazon while looking for an air filter for my Buick Verano. The standard Fram is $18.99 everywhere and Amazon had a used one for $8.00 so I figured with their no hassle return policy I wanted to see what a used filter they would sell. To my surprise, it was a brand new in the box filter, so it was a win for me.

I've ordered hundreds...probably thousands of things from Amazon...never had this happen once. Obviously Rock Auto has some low standards for it's suppliers if there are this many examples of problems in this thread alone...

Must be your part of the country. I live in a rural area, my local auto parts store is locally owned and excellent. I also frequent a city of 50k people an hour away and know of a few independent stores that are there and supply auto repair shops.
Originally Posted By: OilFilters
NHGUY said:
I haven't seen a "local" auto parts store in years. Not a sustainable business model today.

Originally Posted By: Ben Boyle
Must be your part of the country. I live in a rural area, my local auto parts store is locally owned and excellent. I also frequent a city of 50k people an hour away and know of a few independent stores that are there and supply auto repair shops.
NHGUY said:
I haven't seen a "local" auto parts store in years. Not a sustainable business model today.

I moved from Oregon to North Carolina about 2 years ago, both rural areas, no "local" parts stores that I am aware of. There used to be one in Oregon, it lasted maybe a year before it closed down. I've driven across the country from OR to NC 4 times now, 4 different routes, about 3500 miles each. Never saw an independent parts store...and that's the kind of thing I would notice.

With the VAST quantity of different automobiles on the road today, there is no way a local parts store can keep much selection on hand, so the whole idea of putting your hands on it before you walk out doesn't work. Maybe they can order a part for you, but they can't possibly have the buying power of big chains, and it would be no different than me ordering it myself online. And if a part comes with a warranty, I wouldn't count on them to be in business next year when the part breaks.

Last time I shopped there I received a set of unknown previously installed brake pads in a AC Delco box. The box had obviously been opened and the pads were just flopping around in the box. Brake hardware had been opened too.

Tried to send them back and they wanted me to pay return shipping. I just threw them in the trash, haven't been back since. That and their stupid multiple warehouse shipping. I can rarely find anything I need in the same warehouse.

A few months ago my neighbor tried to order a radiator through RA for his Cherokee. 2 came in bent in the middle, one the filler neck was snapped off. He gave up and sourced one locally.

I just shop Amazon or go OEM now, less hassle.

I buy from Rockauto almost exclusively because all the repair work I do is by appointment and people are willing to wait a few days for parts when they save so much money. I probably have spent about $8000 so far this year at RockAuto. I've been a customer for years. In all this time I only had 2 instances that required customer service and each time the issue was resolved within 24 hours. They even called me once to clarify the issue. I can't say they are perfect, but I can say I have been very lucky!

Originally Posted By: Carmudgeon
no one directly employed by RockAuto ever lays eyes on their shipments, much less put their hands on them.

The vendor it came from probably just picked whatever was on their shelf, packaged it up, applied a RA-generated label and sent it on its way.

01.gif

napa stores are no better

Originally Posted By: NHGUY
Time for people to get back into relationships with their local auto parts stores

I hope you aren't talking about Autozone, Advance, O'Reily, etc. Nothing local about those idiots. People behind the counter worked at Walmart last week. They know nothing, they care nothing. Chances are they won't have what you need in stock. Prices are often insulting.

One day I knew the starter on my Jeep was dying. I didn't have anything else to drive or anyone to drive me at the time. I was able to get it started one last time, and I let it idle until I could find a new starter. First I looked online, Autozone, 2 Advance Auto's, and one Napa in my town. All said they had one in stock online. Went down there to get it, I finally got one on the third try at Autozone. Nobody else had one in stock even though they said they did online. Not like a Jeep 4.0 starter is a rare thing...

First experience with rockauto outside of placing an order yesterday.
Was getting EGR codes on my 94 f150 after replacing the line, valve, and position sensor. Valve and line were rusted solid sensor was replaced because "might as well sine everything else is new"
Before going crazy on diagnostic procedures I put the old motorcraft sensor in.. no codes.

Went to initiate a return on rockauto and went through the automated questionnaire. After submitting I was taken to a window hsowing me a replacement part was going to be sent, before I had the time to react I got an email saying the replacement was shipped.
Never received an option whether I wanted a refund on a replacement... Now I'm most likely going to be stuck with two POS aftermarket parts...

Just wanted to update people on this...

So after i got did the online thing and mailed off the used strut they gave me, they had a new one mailed off from another warehouse (OHIO). That came in sealed perfectly with those metal clips on the boxes. Installed the strut and everything is good. Shipping the old one out now and hopefully everything goes will with my warranty exchange.

Overall painless process, only thing is TIME... It delayed my install for a week. If I was more pressed on time, that could have meant the world. Luckily, i dont work weekends and most of the time i'm free. But i know many who are not as lucky as me. Had i bought this from amazon or ebay, i would be SOL on the warranty.

I might have had better luck with a autopart store, they wouldn't have it in stock but most likely next day.

Originally Posted By: bowlofturtle
Just wanted to update people on this...

So after i got did the online thing and mailed off the used strut they gave me, they had a new one mailed off from another warehouse (OHIO). That came in sealed perfectly with those metal clips on the boxes. Installed the strut and everything is good. Shipping the old one out now and hopefully everything goes will with my warranty exchange.

Overall painless process, only thing is TIME... It delayed my install for a week. If I was more pressed on time, that could have meant the world. Luckily, i dont work weekends and most of the time i'm free. But i know many who are not as lucky as me. Had i bought this from amazon or ebay, i would be SOL on the warranty.

I might have had better luck with a autopart store, they wouldn't have it in stock but most likely next day.

If this happens again when timing is an issue, buy another part and complete the return process under the newer order. When they had a phone number, the lady recommended this to me when I received a damaged heater fan.

I did this a few weeks ago when I had to return a control arm for my truck where they had shipped me the wrong side. To have it here by the weekend, I even chose $40 2 day shipping. I was expecting to only get part of my $40 shipping cost back, which would have been fine with me, but they refunded me 100%.

I'll continue to recommend and use RA.

If time is critical, buy your parts locally. There's no guarantee your online order won't experience a shipping delay (I work for an online company and we deal with those daily, even something as stupid as the UPS driver being too lazy to actually deliver your package but marking it as delivered, seen it happen) or something else out of your or the manufacturer's hands.

Time for people to get back into relationships with their local auto parts stores and slow down this glut of online parts "stores" that cause all these problems.At least in person you see the item before walking out the door,and know who you will be dealing with for a warranty return.

Maybe so, but I saved a boatload of money so far with RockAuto.All the typical part stores are within a few cents price-wise with one another where I live.That gets old quick.

Time for people to get back into relationships with their local auto parts stores and slow down this glut of online parts "stores" that cause all these problems.At least in person you see the item before walking out the door,and know who you will be dealing with for a warranty return.

That ship sailed a long time ago and she aIn’t coming back, at least not in our lifetimes. Buying locally from the big chain stores is just as bad or worse than buying on-line. I do understand your point. I am 69 and can well remember working on my 55 Chevy when I was 16. Local parts guy knew me and my car and knew a lot about diagnosing problems and recommending correct fix.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back