A little disappointed with Purolator...

Status
Not open for further replies.
The AC Delco filter, PF457G, does not contain the large o-ring in the package. You would think that if GM wanted you to replace that o-ring every time, they'd make sure to include one with their own filter.

AC Delco does also make a second filter P/N for the engine: PF458G. This P/N contains the entire cap, as well as the filter. This would be required if the o-ring were damaged or leaking or the cap were damaged by a ham-fisted individual. It's $4 more for the filter with the cap.

Also, your Purolator contact is full of it. PF457G and PF458G have the exact same application chart. The filter is the same size, the cap is the same size, and the o-ring is the same size. Purolator doesn't include an o-ring because it doesn't need to be replaced unless it's damaged... period, no other excuse needed.

I am surprised that you do not need to replace the O-Ring. I have owned two German vehicles that use cartridge filters and the filters (Mann & Mahle) had o-rings in the with the filters. Cheap insurance, like oil plug washer I thought.

Last edited:
I service 3 GM ecotec motors.

Here is the deal. You do not want to even mess with the O ring on the OEM cap.

The O ring stays on the cap, if you mess with it, and try to take it off and replace with an aftermarket O ring, it will leak.

The aftermarket rings are not the same at all. They are much too thin. Some people might get them to work, but why risk a leaking cap all over your driveway?

The O ring is designed for the life of the cap. If you see damage on the ring, then call the dealer and order a new cap/filter combo. It is about 10 dollars, and comes with a cap and a new o ring installed on it, with a delco filter also in the box.

PF458G is the part number, as mentioned above.

If you have an EARLY ecotec motor with the angled looking cap, then you will want to replace that entire cap anyways. GM redesigned the cap, and they changed the look of it, it has a rounded top. My 03 saturn did have the old style cap on it. GM had some oil starvation problems with the old cap when people tried to use the newly designed filter with the old cap, so they just went ahead and replaced the entire cap.

I recommend buying the tool to tighten this cap, it is much simpler than messing with a box wrench. It is a socket designed to fit the head of the oil filter cap. Just get it hand tight, then wrench it about a quarter turn past that.

This motor has the BEST designed oil filter system I have ever seen. You just need to know what to do with it. I can change a filter on this thing in less than a minute, its like a pool skimmer.

I'm currently using up a box of purolator filters, and they are junk. The fram/supertech/carquest filters are all junk also. It seems that all the aftermarket filters for this application are designed the exact same way. I have yet to see an aftermarket filter for this application that is even close to the quality of the MAHLE DELCO unit. Spend the money on the OEM filter.

Anything more can break the plastic cap, I have seen broken caps in this application, and they will leak quite a bit.

Originally Posted By: JustinH
I recommend buying the tool to tighten this cap, it is much simpler than messing with a box wrench. It is a socket designed to fit the head of the oil filter cap. Just get it hand tight, then wrench it about a quarter turn past that.

I agree. Despite what the kids on the internet say, its not OK to use an adjustable crescent wrench or a standard-size socket - you'll wind up twisting it crooked due to the intake manifold being in the way and the end result will be the cap looks like someone tried to chew it off with their teeth. The special low-profile socket (mine was made by Lisle) works perfectly.

The only way to get the Mahle filter currently is to order the complete cap/filter assembly, the 458 part. If you order the 457 part, you get the champ design AC filter, NOT the Mahle design AC filter.

Every P1 in my stash, about ten, and every Bosch Distance Plus, about four, has the O Ring included in the box.

I service 3 GM ecotec motors.

Here is the deal. You do not want to even mess with the O ring on the OEM cap.

The O ring stays on the cap, if you mess with it, and try to take it off and replace with an aftermarket O ring, it will leak.

The aftermarket rings are not the same at all. They are much too thin. Some people might get them to work, but why risk a leaking cap all over your driveway?

The O ring is designed for the life of the cap. If you see damage on the ring, then call the dealer and order a new cap/filter combo. It is about 10 dollars, and comes with a cap and a new o ring installed on it, with a delco filter also in the box.

PF458G is the part number, as mentioned above.

If you have an EARLY ecotec motor with the angled looking cap, then you will want to replace that entire cap anyways. GM redesigned the cap, and they changed the look of it, it has a rounded top. My 03 saturn did have the old style cap on it. GM had some oil starvation problems with the old cap when people tried to use the newly designed filter with the old cap, so they just went ahead and replaced the entire cap.

This motor has the BEST designed oil filter system I have ever seen. You just need to know what to do with it. I can change a filter on this thing in less than a minute, its like a pool skimmer.

I'm currently using up a box of purolator filters, and they are junk. The fram/supertech/carquest filters are all junk also. It seems that all the aftermarket filters for this application are designed the exact same way. I have yet to see an aftermarket filter for this application that is even close to the quality of the MAHLE DELCO unit. Spend the money on the OEM filter.

Anything more can break the plastic cap, I have seen broken caps in this application, and they will leak quite a bit.
Originally Posted By: css9450

I agree. Despite what the kids on the internet say, its not OK to use an adjustable crescent wrench or a standard-size socket - you'll wind up twisting it crooked due to the intake manifold being in the way and the end result will be the cap looks like someone tried to chew it off with their teeth. The special low-profile socket (mine was made by Lisle) works perfectly.

Thanks for the feedback. Hopefully this will help some future BITOG members as well, to not mess with the gasket even if the filter contains a new one.

As usual, with BITOG help and information, I ordered the PF458G filter/cap today and the Lisle cap socket from Amazon. The whole thing was about $20, so at least I wasn't out much cash to replace the assembly. I have been using a socket I got at Autozone, but went ahead and ordered the correct socket for future changes.

And as some others mentioned earlier, I call bull pucky on the response from Purolator about the multiple size rings needed in the package. They should have just told me it was a manufacturer "inspect and replace as needed" part so they weren't including it anymore. I will give credit that they were very cordial and responded quickly, but the answer they gave didn't make a whole lot of sense.

Thanks again to all the BITOGer's who hit this thread. As always, I am a better informed shadetree after asking for help in the right place.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back