A good 185/70r13?

Hi all,

I'm getting tires for a '79 BMW 320i, size 185/70r13. Only budget tier tires are being made in this size and from just a handful of companies. So, out of these brands/models, what would be my best bet?

Nanking CX-668
Toyo Extensa A/S
Westlake RP18
Kumho Solus TA11
Barum Brillantis 2

Appreciate everyone's opinions.
Loren

I have an '82 320i mainly an autocross and track car. I have the Kumho TA11 as street tires. They seem decent so far. Balanced nice. No vibrations.

wb

welcome2.gif

Mastercraft AS IV is available in your size and made in the US, too
smile.gif

If you want something expensive, there's the vintage Michelin XDX for $1400 a set
lol.gif

Out of the choices you listed, the Toyo Extensa

VREDESTEIN sprint classic
summer only tire.

I'd find one with at least H speed rating if handling is at all a concern.

Originally Posted by slacktide_bitog
welcome2.gif

smile.gif

If you want something expensive, there's the vintage Michelin XDX for $1400 a set
lol.gif

Second this. Mastercraft are actually decent tires, and I recently installed a set of Toyo Extensa A/S on the old lady's Aveo. I was impressed by them when I installed them, and I'm even more so now that she's got a coule thousand miles on them. Quiet, comfortable, and they've been wearing fantastically. The price is right, too!

Originally Posted by 14Accent
Originally Posted by slacktide_bitog
welcome2.gif

smile.gif

lol.gif

Second this. Mastercraft are actually decent tires, and I recently installed a set of Toyo Extensa A/S on the old lady's Aveo. I was impressed by them when I installed them, and I'm even more so now that she's got a coule thousand miles on them. Quiet, comfortable, and they've been wearing fantastically. The price is right, too!

Those Sprint Classics are expensive
crazy2.gif

Vredestein does make the Quatrac 5 in the OP's size, though.

Thanks for your feedback, everyone! Ripcord, unfortunately those RT43s don't come in 185/70R13. Otherwise I'd jump at them because everyone thinks they're the bee's knees.

Originally Posted by chrisri
Toyo and Barum are only I would consider from that list.

My vote goes to Vredestein. They make a pretty wide line of tires for classic cars and are also very good tires. I am on my 3rd set on my TR6 and have had them on several other cars over the years. Soft, grippy and wear fast, but perfect for a classic toy. Plus they look the part.

I am also not a fan of budget type tires, but would cautiously add Kumho to the list above. I had them on an MGB, same situation w/ limited availability in the size, and they were fine. Not great by any means, but safe and adequate for the car and use.

I am now in the same situation with a '74 2002 that has the e30 14" bottlecap wheels. Not much in a size that fits the wheels w/o any rubbing and is the original diameter for the car. I am probably going with the Riken (sub of Michelin).

Welcome and nice car.

Can you get Nankang in the US? They make a tyre called Nankang NA-1 which is rated 86H

My Ford Capri has that tyre size and i am running Pirelli Cinturato CN36 which are 86V rated, they are expnesive, 100+ per tyre but i love them because it's the exact tyre the car came with from the factory.

We can get the Nankang CX-668 through America's Tire. They seem to be well regarded in the VW Beetle community, and a couple people on BMW2002FAQ said they're decent. The tire has a H speed rating, which is unusual for an all-season at this price point (and relevant because my car was originally equipped with H rated tires). So for all of those reasons I ordered a set from America's Tire. America's Tire says they only have five (!?) left in their distribution network, so hopefully they make it to the install on Monday. My first choice was the Toyo Extensa A/S, but my online order was cancelled because only 2 were actually available (from America's Tire, at least), and I'm told the model will be discontinued soon. So looks like the pickings are getting slimmer.

The Altimax RT43 comes in a 175/70r13. I seriously considered moving down to the smaller size because its well regarded, but the cons would be a too low of a load rating (82 vs 86), a smaller contact patch of course, and a slight "roller skate" look to the car.

But good on you for getting the CN36, FordCapriDrive! In the BMW 2002 community, there's a contingent of serious enthusiasts that say in their eyes there is no substitute. But I just got the car and need new tires to actually start forming an impression of it. If I decide to get serious about E21s I might justify spending $700+ on tires, but at this point, while my example is not falling apart, it is on the rougher side and tires of that caliber wouldn't be on par with my investment in the car generally.

Back