A defense light that works every time! No Olight garbage! Sure Fire the only way to go? Multiple power source?

I agree. Quality costs money.
Of all my lights, from all different suppliers, the only ones that are still working are my Surefires and ancient Maglites.
Most chicom import garbage don't survive simple drops or firearm recoil. The Surefires survive. And if you have issue, they provide pretty good support.

Common failure points of lesser brands are the contact switches, bad/cold soldering that comes apart, and pathetic life LED driver/circuits or resistors if not using an LED driver.

I like the simple to change 123/aa/aaa batteries. Cheap rechargeables can be very warming. Just look at those sporadic cellphone/laptop fires....
I do have a dozen or so 18650's but they aren't in use as much as the 123's. And, disposable lithium Energizer aa/aaa/9v batteries last a very long time in gloveboxes/trunks/nightstand and don't leak away like most alkalines. I haven't had a disposable lithium cook off. I did have one laptop and an 18650 go up in flames. Definitely not my best panic moments with sporadic combustion.

For the mom, I recommend a Surefire flashlight or 2 with non-rechargeable lithium batteries.

My recommendation, single reliable output:

I figure if nothing else maybe someone else may see the strobe also. She wants a hand gun, that is a possibility, and maybe the best answer. Still need a light though.
I doubt a strobe or bright light will deter any ones attack . Try it out your self.

Have her take this course I teach it. its very good.

A handgun built purposely for elderly shooters who have trouble racking a slide. 9rd capacity, 380 auto which has soft recoil.

It’s gonna rain on your parade but I wouldn’t think of Light as a weapon. Oh I’ve used them sure . I always wandered the tier in a former life in a couple federal prisons with a 5 C Cell Streamlight. That was only for a “ save my bacon “ move if I blundered into something horrific. The real weapon was the body alarm. Push that button and it shot an SOS and huge warbling scream letting everyone in sight know that the cavalry was on the way. I never had to use one myself but responded enough times. When the racket starts to Sound it disrupts everybodys plans
With that in mind what about something like Simply Safe. $15/ month and it does automatically notify police . My sister got one in Florida and it works quite well. You can outfit it Wirelessly and buy the units / sensors suitable to your desires. I’m not sure but I think you can set it up as one of those medical lifeline neck alarms as well. Something like that would be more useful for protection than a light
Also remember this about pepper spray. That stuff needs practice regularly at best And even then it’s hard to get it in their eyes much of the time. The good old blast spray mace has been long ago replaced by what amounts to a pressurized squirt gun full of irritant. Bear spray will work as it sprays like the old mace of the 1970s but youll wear it too and contaminate everything in the area. I’ll bet that’s why the police versions got dummied down as they have. All they have to do is turn away or put their hands up in front of their face.
My sister who is very much a gun hater and believes no one should have one ........but her(y) keeps a S&W J frame on the night stand. She’s never shot it once nor will she take it to the range when I ask her but I guess it serves to make her feel better FWIW. At least she has the Simply Safe going for her.

I tried the Olight lights and 5 out 6 do not work! GARBAGE!
I am looking for a lights for my elderly mother to use to hopefully blind a attacker. IT NEEDS TO WORK EVERY TIME! Not just some of the time.
I am also looking for something for me also.
I am wondering if it is worth it to buy something that runs on AA and 123 or other common battery sizes? So more than one power choice if I am unable to get 18650, cr123a...
Wondering if strobe is worth it or a gimmick.
Thinking the easier to turn on the better for emergenc/stress situation.
I may also want to use mine as a general every day carry light source also, maybe even a red light choice.
Maybe I need to carry 2 lights? 1 for defense and 1 for general?
Nothing too big and heavy. I am thinking 2 to 3-aa or 123a, or maybe 1 18650 or so battery size approximately.
Also trying to decide on lumen power, Maybe up to 1,000 lumens should be good for very temporary stop of attack.
Do you find that light temperature/kelvin, really makes a big difference in ability to see and find small stuff like maybe a key on a trail? Better to stay in the 3500k range?
Is Sure Fire still the best brand, and maybe only lights to count on?
Your wisdom and experience is appreciated.
Thank you.
Cloud Defensive and Modlite both offer what you're looking for. I personally prefer Cloud because the battery-jack is an excellent feature and I weapon mount it. For handheld I just use a cheap Streamlight HLX.

I tried the Olight lights and 5 out 6 do not work! GARBAGE!
I am looking for a lights for my elderly mother to use to hopefully blind a attacker. IT NEEDS TO WORK EVERY TIME! Not just some of the time.
I am also looking for something for me also.
I am wondering if it is worth it to buy something that runs on AA and 123 or other common battery sizes? So more than one power choice if I am unable to get 18650, cr123a...
Wondering if strobe is worth it or a gimmick.
Thinking the easier to turn on the better for emergenc/stress situation.
I may also want to use mine as a general every day carry light source also, maybe even a red light choice.
Maybe I need to carry 2 lights? 1 for defense and 1 for general?
Nothing too big and heavy. I am thinking 2 to 3-aa or 123a, or maybe 1 18650 or so battery size approximately.
Also trying to decide on lumen power, Maybe up to 1,000 lumens should be good for very temporary stop of attack.
Do you find that light temperature/kelvin, really makes a big difference in ability to see and find small stuff like maybe a key on a trail? Better to stay in the 3500k range?
Is Sure Fire still the best brand, and maybe only lights to count on?
Your wisdom and experience is appreciated.
Thank you.
Hopefully blind an attacker........Are you looking for a weapon?

+1 ... get a .38 Special revolver if going down the gun route. Aim and pull the trigger, can't get anymore simple than that.
Got a compact S&W for my wife … put some hornady +p defense rounds in it

Well this went off the rails. Anyone who relies on a flashlight is not serious about personal protection
[ /thread ]

You realize the FDA regulates the use of items like this (illumination tools that cause instant permanent blindness) and that using one as such would go poorly, in a legal sense, right?

If an older lady wanted a handgun, I would make sure it is a revolver. Mush easier to load and use in an emergency. Older people can have a real problem racking the slide on a semi auto.

Now, is she mentally competent to own and be trusted with a gun? Is she capable of going to the range and learning to shoot it properly? Is it possible that she might not recognize a family member and shoot him/her? Does she have a lockable place to store it so that if children come over they are not going to be able to access it? These are all serious questions you need to deal with before getting a weapon.
My "older person" has trouble with pressing a button to turn on a flashlight due to arthritic hands. Racking a slide on a semiautomatic? Out of the question.

My "older person" has trouble with pressing a button to turn on a flashlight due to arthritic hands. Racking a slide on a semiautomatic? Out of the question.
My grandpa used a Mini-14 for his HD weapon. Everyone will find something different works with their own limitations.

When i was an Officer i used Streamlight and it never failed to perform or impress. But i left the force in 2007 so things may be different now. I can't remember the specific model number.

Maybe look them up and see if they have something fitting your needs.

I've got quite a few Olights and they are great. Some are many years old now, like my original M20 Warrior. Works like new. I've also had good service from a couple of Streamlights I own.

If you had a problem, did you bother to contact Olight? I've heard their CS is good. But I've not needed them.

Back