A defense light that works every time! No Olight garbage! Sure Fire the only way to go? Multiple power source?

I tried the Olight lights and 5 out 6 do not work! GARBAGE!
I am looking for a lights for my elderly mother to use to hopefully blind a attacker. IT NEEDS TO WORK EVERY TIME! Not just some of the time.
I am also looking for something for me also.
I am wondering if it is worth it to buy something that runs on AA and 123 or other common battery sizes? So more than one power choice if I am unable to get 18650, cr123a...
Wondering if strobe is worth it or a gimmick.
Thinking the easier to turn on the better for emergenc/stress situation.
I may also want to use mine as a general every day carry light source also, maybe even a red light choice.
Maybe I need to carry 2 lights? 1 for defense and 1 for general?
Nothing too big and heavy. I am thinking 2 to 3-aa or 123a, or maybe 1 18650 or so battery size approximately.
Also trying to decide on lumen power, Maybe up to 1,000 lumens should be good for very temporary stop of attack.
Do you find that light temperature/kelvin, really makes a big difference in ability to see and find small stuff like maybe a key on a trail? Better to stay in the 3500k range?
Is Sure Fire still the best brand, and maybe only lights to count on?
Your wisdom and experience is appreciated.
Thank you.

We have one I cannot remember the name but it isn’t Olight. If I can find it when we get home I’ll tell you the name. It works excellent.

I went to multiple forums, but they seem to be adds for Chinese crap.

Ive had great luck with all things Stream Light and SureFire. My SL TLR2 is old and still very relaiable. I also have a TLR7A and am very impressed so far. As far as handhelds, I have a few SureFire's and cannot complain at all. Well worth the money given how long they last.

Olight makes pretty good products.

When you state that they do not work, what exactly does that mean? What happened to them?
The Olights do NOT produce light when the contact switch/on buttons are activated. The Olights are useless as a light producing device. Olights work ok to stick in the mud and make a circles, or in the snow.

I'm sure a super bright light would stun someone....maybe a couple of seconds? Is an older woman going to be able to run away in that amount of time? Not sure what the right answer is for a situation like this, but I have been considering a fake camera that has a motion detector built in outside of my home and it makes a small chirp when it "starts recording". Detering a bad guy is what you want, if they are already in the house then there is a high probability things are not going to end well. Does your mom like German Shepards?

If you're looking for a high-performance, high-reliability light: SureFire. Expect to pay handsomely. But it will work every time.

If you're looking for self-defense for your elderly mother, that is another question entirely, and a light may well be a part of the answer, but in no way is it a complete answer.

For an inexpensive, light weight, very impressive EDC light, I recommend an UltraTac A1 with a 14500 battery. Super small, 600 lumens, has been reliable for me in several months of daily use.

I figure if nothing else maybe someone else may see the strobe also. She wants a hand gun, that is a possibility, and maybe the best answer. Still need a light though.

Quit buying into Youtube videos that show overweight bald guys using flashlights as a self defense weapon.
If your mom shines a flashlight into the face of a guy who is robbing her, it'll most likely escalate things for the worse.
She is not a boxer or MMA fighter etc. So firearm it is then.
But I still want a light that I can count on to function properly.

I figure if nothing else maybe someone else may see the strobe also. She wants a hand gun, that is a possibility, and maybe the best answer.
Look at something like this Nitecore P10. It has a dedicated strobe button.

She wants a hand gun, that is a possibility, and maybe the best answer.
Now we're talking. :)

If an older lady wanted a handgun, I would make sure it is a revolver. Mush easier to load and use in an emergency. Older people can have a real problem racking the slide on a semi auto.

Now, is she mentally competent to own and be trusted with a gun? Is she capable of going to the range and learning to shoot it properly? Is it possible that she might not recognize a family member and shoot him/her? Does she have a lockable place to store it so that if children come over they are not going to be able to access it? These are all serious questions you need to deal with before getting a weapon.

I applaud you're wanting to get mom the best. A reliable light is a great start. Surefire is the BOMB but mom isn't going to war here. StreamLight offers some excellent products that are very reliable for a lot less coin. I can't speak for the country but in my area of NY a very large % of LE are using StreamLight handgun mounted lights. And not the light/laser combo.

While the strobe can be effective it is a brief visual incapacitation meant to provide very valuable seconds to clear leather and get your weapon on point. It will not provide mom with anything of value other than stated. Good starting point, but you need to figure out what self defense options could work for her.

Back