A combined 1.2 million miles: More W123's

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Trav
One of or possibly the best car ever produced. In the original German owners manual it stated the car was designed to last 30 years.

Nice rides!
Knew a guy specializing in keeping these alive in Eastern Europe.

Can somebody find the shot from the movie "Ronin" where DeNiro shot a rocket using the rooftop while keeping with some Renault/Citroen?
Like that we can add "rocket-ride" to the good qualities... :)

Originally Posted By: Leo99
Originally Posted By: JustN89
Originally Posted By: car51
Thanks, we dont have those up here

You're not missing much, and I come from the land of Sonics.

2 or 3 of them opened up near me. They all closed soon after. I never got a chance to go.

Corporate hacks … can’t stay neutral

Originally Posted By: Alex_V
Originally Posted By: pandus13

Like that we can add "rocket-ride" to the good qualities... :)

I'm stealing that one from you!

Ride-ON ! (pun intended)

Originally Posted By: Trav
One of or possibly the best car ever produced. In the original German owners manual it stated the car was designed to last 30 years.

My impression was that these were unusually well made cars and the W124 and W201 were pretty good as well. Much better than anything that currently wears the star.
The older W115 was also very good.
Glad that we've owned at least one of each of the above.

The big ones are pretty darn good, more complex sure but great well built cars. Mercedes builds everything from not much more than a lawnmower with seats (Smart and A class) to the big S class and Maybach.

The local Chevy dealer used to sell them in Morgantown, WV back in the early 1980s. I went there once for parts and looked at one of the new 1982s? (I think that was the year) they had and the sticker was over $50K. Not sure of the model, though. That was about the price of 5 Chevys at the time. It seemed like they spared no expense in quality, though as they were very nice.

These are probably some of the toughest cars of all time. The only cars that come close are Volvo bricks and Ford Crown Vics.

Alex, great photos and thanks for sharing. I bet there were plenty of ear to ear grins among you that day.
I finally got my wife's '85 300D running again by a nearby foreign car repair shop and am so happy to have given it a second life. I think to myself that driving it is like sitting in a time machine. I am very fortunate that it drives as well as it did the day we bought it new.
I recently learned of a mechanic in Florida specializing in classic Mercedes vehicles. He has a series of youtube videos. In one of them he asks why isn't there a car made that will last forever? Then says, there IS a car that will last forever, the Mercedes W123 (I am paraphrasing a bit here).

Thanks. Yes it probably would be worth more today, it was 25 years old in the picture but still good today. Incredibly the 38 year old cloth interior is still rip and wear free, talk about quality materials.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back