A/C Maintenance ?

This is a funny post.
Somebody asking about a Hyundai and somebody posted the manual from 2020 Silverado???

It convolute the issue. LOL!!!
In my experience, GM seems to have AC problem more often than other brand, not sure why.
It is probably needs some fixing around 7 years.

As for me, I agree with the tech and as stated above.
Keep the condenser, that is the part usually in the area of the radiator.
Spray them with soap and rinse them with water once a year.
Clean the space in between the radiator and condenser if there are leaves.
Turn on the AC in the winter once in a while unless you are in a freezing area.
Not too difficult to do if you are in the south, we have days above 60F even in the winter.

Change the Cabin Air Filter if it is there.
Otherwise, clean the evaporator also (mostly for 90s car).

Another one, make sure the condensate line usually under the passenger side is not clogged.
Here you go . Hyundai desiccant. Happy?

Most cycle switches cycle off about 22 psi which would be very close to 22f.
Yes, while any major part of the system is below that temperature, all the refrigerant will condense there. The pressure will drop low enough that the compressor will not run due to low pressure cutout. All cars have a similar low pressure cutout pressure to protect the compressor in case of a major leak.

Even in cold weather some heat soak from being parked may let the system short cycle before the low cut off activates giving a small amount of compressor activation in defrost mode.

What (if any) A/C maintenance do you recommend as preventative maintenance for vehicle A/C systems ? ... The Hyundai Tech just said : "Just wait until your Sonata A/C stops blowing cold air - then bring it in to the service center" ... I believe that advice will cost me more $$ in the long run - what is your planned A/C maintenance ?

Your mechanic is correct that you should not touch it, just keep using it, even in winter, which should not be a problem as most turn on AC automatically with defrost setting.

However, I would not wait until it starts blowing hot air because if the system goes completely empty, a lot more work needs to be done, like pulling vacuum and changing the dryer.
Instead, once you notice some performance loss, try to address it right away, and it can usually be solved by simply adding some refrigerant.

Back