A/C flushing fluid - What to use?

I'm repairing the entire A/C system (Minus Evaporator) on my 2001 Buick LeSabre.

Since all the parts are being changed-out. (Compressor failure), the only lines that I'm keeping are the ones that are - Accumulator to Evaporator.

Since there was much debris in the Orifice tube, I need to use a flush to make sure everything is out.

I've seen this canned flush at the local auto store:

1662691983972.png

Any other choices? I've heard some people using mineral spirits but I would think that's a dangerous procedure.

Any thoughts? Thanks ahead of time!

I've used brake cleaner, acetone, mineral spirits, vinegar, etc. Never had a problem after.

Not sure it matters much as long as you make sure it's all removed before putting back into service.

If you can find it, Dura 141b. It’s a mix of a room-temperature liquid HFC, a bit of heptane and isopropyl alcohol. It’s expensive but it works pretty darn good and flashes quick.

Else, that AC Pro stuff works as well. I’ve used non-chlorinated brake clean and mineral spirits too. Just make sure to “pop” your parts to flash the solvents out and then do a long vacuum - I’ve done an hour to make sure all the stuff is boiled and flashed off.

There was a big bottle of Freon TF at a place I used to work about 10 years ago.

I should have grabbed it. It was a left-over from some tape head cleaning/maintenance kit for the IBM AS 400.

You're only reusing two lines; are you also flushing/replacing the condenser and evaporator?
Apparently, the flushing of a condenser does not happen these days due to the smaller "tubes". Older cars, perhaps... Newer cars are suggested to be replaced only.

The evaporator is a pain in the *&$%&$ to get out and apparently can be flushed. So that is what I am doing.

My fiancé's father used the AC Pro stuff to flush the evaporator and lines on his truck after discovering that the OT was loaded with debris. He replaced the compressor, accumulator, and condenser and I vacuumed and recharged the system for him and now the AC works fine.

I use that brake line cleaner for semi trucks. I pour it into a pressure bottle that I bought at AAP and add air compressor pressure to the bottle and push the control button on the pressure bottle. You should see the scum that comes out of those lines. My expansion valve kept getting clogged by all the scum in the lines and coils. Worked great after all and that and new receiver dryer.

Great suggestions guys! Yes, the importance of keeping the entire system clean is hugely important. A/C systems are somewhat of a science.
I ended up buying a few cans of the AC Pro flush and got it flushed. Yes, the first flush was contaminated for sure. Second flush cleaned it out.

Now... replacing the drier, orifice tube...etc. Hope it works now!

Back