A/C Compressor quit during recharge, why?

About 2 weeks ago I went with my aunt to grab an ac recharge kit. Her husband went to charge it, he got it to the bottom of the green area and gave a few more taps and suddenly the ac compressor stopped functioning, as did the gauge on the freon.

No ac, compressor shot while following directions. makes me afraid to recharge my ac which it desperately needs.

I have a hard time believing it was overcharged. Any ideas?

This is why you need to charge using weight and the correct machine/tools.
Yes, to the above. And let me add/clarify, the system must ALWAYS be "evacuated" first before recharging with the proper amount. Simply venting to atmosphere does not do this. Specialized equipment is required to completely purge the system.

Scott

Last edited:
I charge from a can with R134A systems, but use a set of gauges (high and low) from Harborfreight (be sure to buy the can adaptor). Blead air out of lines, charge GAS only can upright into low side with compressor running engine at 2,000 RPM's on a warm or hot day 80 degrees F or greater, stop charging when high side reaches 250 psi. Close supply from can, close high side valve on hose next to vehicle high side connect, slowly blend oil and refrigerant from high side line into low side. Close low side valve at vehicle connection. Shut off vehicle, let high side cool if it is hot. Disconnect gauges.

Store the lines connected to the store connection to keep moisture and dirt out, and then put the gauge set on a closed plastic bag. You've gots to keep it clean and dry if you ever want to use it again.

Last edited:
Hopefully you just overcharged it and the compressor is disabled by the pressure switch. Release some freon and see if it comes back on. The old famous "just a little more" or "just on more turn on the wrench" has broken a lot of stuff for people over the years!

Did the compressor smoke the clutch, belt or pop a pressure relief? It cycled normally before hand and during (most of the) recharge?

Other than that, the only things that are going to hold it out is as @GMBoy suggests. Pressure switch or it's clutch is being held out electrically. Fuse, relay, bad clutch, etc.

How did he hold the can? If the low side port is near the comressor, and he held the can upside down, he might have slugged the compressor with liquid refrigerant.

Tilted it back and forth between standing/upside down.

The compressor was probably already bad before you charged it.
@zzyzzx I always think of this when I see you.

Scott

Image.jpg

What’s it doing now after it sat? Will it engage at all? If the compressor was damaged, there’d have been noise, a crack, a screaming clutch or belt… that doesn’t sound like what happened.

There is a pressure switch or 2 that shuts down the system if out of range.

Also, if the can had stop leak in it, you need to tell the AC shop as it can damage their equipment.

Could the compressor have just naturally cycled off at that moment by coincidence?

What’s it doing now after it sat? Will it engage at all? If the compressor was damaged, there’d have been noise, a crack, a screaming clutch or belt… that doesn’t sound like what happened.

There is a pressure switch or 2 that shuts down the system if out of range.

Also, if the can had stop leak in it, you need to tell the AC shop as it can damage their equipment.

Could the compressor have just naturally cycled off at that moment by coincidence?
I heard a hissing noise.

After that fiasco I have booked an appointment at a local shop for an ac recharge and state inspection. $170 is cheaper then new ac components.

I heard a hissing noise.

After that fiasco I have booked an appointment at a local shop for an ac recharge and state inspection. $170 is cheaper then new ac components.
That's the way to go anyway. An AC tech who knows what they're doing will get your AC system working it's best. AC is too expensive and requires too much technical knowledge to do yourself if you have no back round in it, imo. The ACs in my little family's 2 vehicles both have very cold AC, and we always get it maintained by professionals. It's worth the money to us.

Back