A/C compressor making noise.

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is on my 1997 Blazer.

I knew going into it that the A/C did not work so no surprise there.. I ended up replacing the serpentine belt, tensioner and idler pulley bearing a while back just for preventive maintenance and squeak removal. When the belt was removed, I could hear excessive bearing noise coming from the compressor when I rotated the pulley.

Is there any way to diagnose whether or not it's the compressor itself or just the clutch bearing? The bearing is about $17 and I have a shop press. If the compressor itself is bad, I'll most likely just find a nice one at a junkyard depending on their prices. The Delphi part from Rock Auto is $180 and repairs will be a bit more in depth with more parts.

I think the OP is saying that the A/C doesn't work, and he doesn't care, just wants the truck to run without A/C. In that case it would need the pulley bearing, that is the only part that moves when the compressor is not engaged. Or in a lot of cases you can use a different belt and bypass the compressor entirely making it like the non-A/C model.

If the clutch is engaged then if you hear noise it is the a/c compressor.
If the clutch is disengaged when you hear noise then the clutch bearing itself is bad.

If you already pull the orifice, might as well replace the compressor since the system is opened.

You can see if the AC engange, you can hear the engangement of the clutch.
The clutch is good.

Usually, if it gets noisy, then the compressor is already bad.
Shortly after, the clutch will seize at least that was what happened to me.
Although, that was in a Toyota.

Unfortunately, the price of the clutch only is more than the compressor.
Being it was more than 200K, I just replaced the compressor and condenser and be done with it.
Already running for more than a year now around 40K miles in the TX heat.

If the motor wasn't running then the clutch wouldn't be engaged. So if it was noisy when you spun it by hand then it's the clutch bearings.

If the bearing made noises when spinning the pulley with the belt off, then the bearing is bad, not (necessarily) the compressor.

This just happen to me. I though it was the PS pump but turned out to be the ac compressor clutch bearing. With the belt off it's obvious what was the problem. The compressor will not turn unless the clutch is powered and engaged.

Originally Posted By: AandPDan
If the clutch is engaged then if you hear noise it is the a/c compressor.
If the clutch is disengaged when you hear noise then the clutch bearing itself is bad.

+1 on a vehicle that old. Spin the pully with no belt and no 12V applied, then apply 12V to the wire running to the clutch and check again for compressor bearing noise. Pull the AC fuse before doing this, or disconnect the wire to the AC clutch before feeding in 12V.

Originally Posted By: mk378
I think the OP is saying that the A/C doesn't work, and he doesn't care, just wants the truck to run without A/C. In that case it would need the pulley bearing, that is the only part that moves when the compressor is not engaged. Or in a lot of cases you can use a different belt and bypass the compressor entirely making it like the non-A/C model.

Oh I want it fixed. Lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back